Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Infinitron

One thing I *really* dislike about this game though... I hate how it feels to play. Everything feels sluggish, the way the characters move around, the way they stop before talking to someone, the way the dialogue interface has little animations, the entire UI, etc. It really bothers me... I like the slower pace of the game, with lots of reading, but yeah... hate how sluggish it feels to play.

You should have seen the state of the game - and the UI - back in the alpha. Compared to the first playable versions the characters are positively responsive and the UI is wonderful. The first iteration had non-descript buttons with flat coloring and figuring out how to spend effort on a task took some, uhm, effort. To say the least. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Sank 5 hours into it last night. I don't have any problem with the UI. Generally finding the writing good, though many characters suffer from Grieving Mother syndrome (lots of obscure waffle). Lots of interesting companions. I particularly like Rhin, who I understand was written by old Patrick Rothfuss.

The combat is by far the weakest part. Its clunky, frustrating and unsatisfying. Just ignore it as much as possible and pretend you're reading a visual novel.

Really? Are there other words that were similarly obfuscated?

They're actually all celled "Fettles" and no, I haven't noticed anything like that yet - but I've yet to get into the mechanical side of things a bit deeper so it might get worse. Or possibly better. Well 'Encounter/Combat' is called 'Crisis', but what it stands for is rather obvious, so that bit is just a little strange.

Yeah, it stands for "crisis". Kinda like how might isn't strength. Crisis points can involve narrative events, dialogue, etc. They *can* be combat encounters, but aren't specifically so.

So apparently skydiving without a parachute is lethal. Lesson learned Numenera.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just starting out, made a male slick nano.  I'm going to try to avoid as much combat as I can, all of it if possible.  So far so good.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Really? Are there other words that were similarly obfuscated?

They're actually all celled "Fettles" and no, I haven't noticed anything like that yet - but I've yet to get into the mechanical side of things a bit deeper so it might get worse. Or possibly better. Well 'Encounter/Combat' is called 'Crisis', but what it stands for is rather obvious, so that bit is just a little strange.

Yeah, it stands for "crisis". Kinda like how might isn't strength. Crisis points can involve narrative events, dialogue, etc. They *can* be combat encounters, but aren't specifically so.

Oh no, maybe all RPGs should just name their classes "Off-Tank" because MMO players use it? 'Buffs' isn't even normal terminology inside RPGs. Next Thief should get rid of 'taffer' and PST shouldn't have 'berk', because... I don't even know what the 'because' is here. 

TTON opening suffers from far too many random pieces of loredumps that never add up to a coherent set of images, 'fettles' is the least of its problems.

• Like 1

Did anybody else chuckle when they heard the main character say "updated my journal"?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Speaking of tech issues, if anyone has old beta/early access savegames lying around delete them first. The bug itself existed in the early access version as well, and it is still not fixed. Old savegames make loading new ones a chore, if not impossible. *sigh*

What bug exactly?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Weird, seems to work fine for me. Tried it yesterday when I had a few minutes, loaded my old savegame, left the beta area, etc. saw nothing unusual.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Oh no, maybe all RPGs should just name their classes "Off-Tank" because MMO players use it? 'Buffs' isn't even normal terminology inside RPGs. Next Thief should get rid of 'taffer' and PST shouldn't have 'berk', because... I don't even know what the 'because' is here.

There's a massive difference between mechanical descriptors and in-game lore. It'd be like calling an 'Inventory' a 'Knapasnack' or renaming the 'Continue' button to a 'Pufflement'. The moment I see characters in game referring to fettles in conversation I'll stand corrected, but so far it just feels like an arbitrary name for a fairly standardized function (which is status effects, yes.)

Note that I'm not at all complaining about dumps of completely alien terminology and lore otherwise. Wonder why that is.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Nevermind the names, let's talk about combat.

Without spending effort points, its barely possible to hit anything. But you get so few effort points, that they're all used up in the first few turns of combat.

Am I the only one running into this?

Weird, seems to work fine for me. Tried it yesterday when I had a few minutes, loaded my old savegame, left the beta area, etc. saw nothing unusual.

Maybe it depends on the save. I had a save from around half year ago and had this bug.

It depends on how old the savegame is apparently. inXile has changed the way the screenshots in the loading screens are stored in between so really old savegames mess up the loading screen really good, newer ones from early access don't.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've only had one combat encounter so far, but my effort points were enough to handle it. As you level up I imagine increased effort points combined with edges will give you more to work with.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I played only few minutes but  have to agree on UI critique, its really weird. Also Fettles, wtf its suppose to be? First time I read it i thought its fetus or something

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

How is Jack? I keep wanting to reroll because Nano feels a bit boring, but then I would lose mind reading which is awesome.

What tide is everyone getting? I'm finding it way too easy to slip into blue just by asking questions. Wish I got more silver.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My first tide I got was silver :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The combat isn't as bad as PST, but it's dang close. Back during the Kickstarter I really liked the idea of the numenera, but it has turned combat into puzzle boss fights. I don't understand why Brian Fargo is so dead set on having poor combat in his Torment titles. Its like he thinks good combat and good story are mutually exclusive.

It'd be real nice if I could click the minimap to move the camera there. Yup. Real nice.

Also, is it just me, or is there acceleration to camera panning? Because I think there is. And it's rather annoying.

Generally tho, I'm having a lot of fun so far. Can't really stop playing, plus world and the characters I keep talking to are really interesting and fun to explore. I'll need to give it more time to pass a bit more cohesive judgement on it, but aside from the UX, the game seems to be quite extraordinary.

Incidentally, my dominant tide is gold apparently, because I'm a disgusting nice guy.

• Like 2

It'd be real nice if I could click the minimap to move the camera there. Yup. Real nice.

Super nice, even. Can't even click on the full size map to move there, IIRC.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I finished the game a few hours ago. I won't spoil anything, but even though I loved the first half of the game, I absolutely hated the second half. No other game has ever disappointed me as much. It just felt rushed and there was questionable writing as well as terrible game design (and probably bugs) that made me regret playing the game. The combat system is bugged too, but I rarely ever entered combat.