Brash Games 10/10

Gaming Masters 7/10

Gert Lush Gaming 8.4/10

GameSpew 7/10

GamingBolt 8/10

MonsterVine 3/5

Yeah, but is it any good?

• Like 5

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Played some of it.

Writing's been nice so far, mostly to the point without using many unnecessary words, unlike some -other- isometric RPG that came out in 2015.

UI designer has apparently been in a cave for the last 20 years, I could really do without all the unnecessary frames and other clutter that just take up space on the screen. Marking interactive objects is also not particularly elegant in its execution, albeit it is usable so that's fine. Here's an area the game should take some cues from a certain other isometric RPG from 2015.

I know we're working with a set ruleset here, but since it's being ported to PC, some of the terminology could be changed to work within the environment. Why call buffs and debuffs fleffifafafans and flemeflifafans instead of just calling them buffs and debuffs?

Combat's exceptional. Well, not really, combat's fairly standard fare - but if all arenas offer as many options as the first one outside of the prologue, including just talking to the monsters, I'm gonna be all over this game.

• Like 1

Only tried 30 minutes. Writing is promising, game drew me in, the presentation is bad.

Awful disgusting UI, fast becoming an inXile tradition, as if you're playing some Russian B-budget platformer from the PS2 days. Who thought making characters swivel on ice skates and slowly accelerate to run in an isometric party RPG was a good idea? 

Anyone would be a fool to expect PST2, and it's done enough to tell me it's got its own pretty cool story lined up.

Really? Are there other words that were similarly obfuscated?

They're actually all celled "Fettles" and no, I haven't noticed anything like that yet - but I've yet to get into the mechanical side of things a bit deeper so it might get worse. Or possibly better. Well 'Encounter/Combat' is called 'Crisis', but what it stands for is rather obvious, so that bit is just a little strange.

It kinda feels like the game's really trying its best to make itself distinct in all the wrong ways, but they've not overdone it so eh. Well aside from the UI. The UI's really bad.

Just sank a few hours into it.  Can't really comment on the combat as I've talked my way out of it so far.  Writing is great, very evocative of Torment with lots of humour and grisly descriptiveness.  

The world is interesting and apparently packed with characters to talk to.  I'm not entirely convinced that I'll feel that emotional connection I felt with PS:T but it's too early to be sure.

The interface isn't great.  It's a bit clunky and obtrusive, but after a while I got used to it.  Hopefully they can patch in a few refinements.

*edit*

Oh, I should mention that the PoE engine (on PC at least) seems to be much improved from a performance perspective.  No more lag when only a handful of NPCs are onscreen.  In fact I've seen tons of NPCs along with animated background details and the engine doesn't drop a frame.

Edited by WDeranged

I didn't even realize the game was out until I opened up Steam instead of starting the latest one I've been playing directly. Then I remembered that I had a digital deluxe version or something available so I just got finished downloading the map and ringtones game guide and other electronic doo-dads that at least won't gather dust like physical collectibles do. The game is loading and I have managed to keep from being spoilt about pretty much anything in the game. I played the I think it was the alpha and I skipped the beta. I never even activated the key for the beta run. I have high hopes tempered by experiences of past disappointments.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

You know what they say, without IGN you can't spell ignorant. Guess that's tier 1 gaming websites for you.

I'll decide what I think of the game when the lower tier web reviews come out.

None in that long list of reviews are lower tier?

You know what they say, without IGN you can't spell ignorant. Guess that's tier 1 gaming websites for you.

He means the underground reviews, like TheSubWay, DwarfLand, and MoleManGaming

• Like 3

And the Codex of course. :cat:

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Speaking of tech issues, if anyone has old beta/early access savegames lying around delete them first. The bug itself existed in the early access version as well, and it is still not fixed. Old savegames make loading new ones a chore, if not impossible. *sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

InXile/ Techland had a list of tier 1 websites that they'd be bothered dealing with and lower tier websites they wouldn't be bothered with- that came out when they cancelled an interview with the Codex- so early review copies probably indicates tier 1 status pretty well. Irony being that a lot of the tier 2 websites like the Codex, GameBanshee or RPGWatch would at least get fundamental stuff like name of the company making the game correct. They might duplicate a list of reviews though, making it appear twice as long as it is, and have scores like 80/10 snuck in there as well.

Basically I'm being snarky because I'd rate a review from any of those 3 sites I named better than the vast majority of the sites on that list. Not that it matters, since I backed the game anyway.

And the Codex of course. :cat:

The Codey isn't underground. The Codex is Mos Eisley.

• Like 3

I think the whole intro bit in this game is pretty bad and uninvolving. In the first version of the beta, it was... both better and worse. It had a big CYOA section (which is somewhere else in the game according to the devs) that did wonders for injecting something interesting into it, but the whole intro went on for much longer also.

Now it's just kinda bad but, well, short at least.

I'm enjoying going around Sagus Cliffs now. It's pretty good stuff.

One thing I *really* dislike about this game though... I hate how it feels to play. Everything feels sluggish, the way the characters move around, the way they stop before talking to someone, the way the dialogue interface has little animations, the entire UI, etc. It really bothers me... I like the slower pace of the game, with lots of reading, but yeah... hate how sluggish it feels to play.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0