It's an awfully rare thing to be worth dev time.

It does raise the question, though. How hard would it be to have an option, at a sex scene, for example, to say 'i'm not really into that, but I still like you'.

The romance could continue as normal (after skipping the sex), while being inclusive towards asexuals. It'd one one conversation at most in terms of required dev time, not too heavy.

Sorry if this is ignorant, but would an asexual person even desire a romantic relationship?

Sorry if this is ignorant, but would an asexual person even desire a romantic relationship?

Oh yes. Aromantic is the term for folks who aren't interested in romance. Asexuals just aren't interested in the sex part.

I know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about But I am going to ask questions to learn more. That's not falling on a LGBTQ spectrum is it? Like I would be straight but only interested in sex. Or homosexual but only interested in romance. That's not my sexuality it's more like a behavioral choice? Like just to me it seems like aromantic is code for someone with a form of sex addiction. And if not how would you distinguish between sex addiction and aromantic? 

Oh yes. Aromantic is the term for folks who aren't interested in romance. Asexuals just aren't interested in the sex part.

I know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about But I am going to ask questions to learn more. That's not falling on a LGBTQ spectrum is it? Like I would be straight but only interested in sex. Or homosexual but only interested in romance. That's not my sexuality it's more like a behavioral choice? Like just to me it seems like aromantic is code for someone with a form of sex addiction. And if not how would you distinguish between sex addiction and aromantic? 

What? Oh, no.  You're jumping to pretty much the exact opposite end of things.

Someone who's asexual doesn't have interest in sex.  Generally when people use 'aromantic' they mean someone who isn't interested in sex OR romance.  No dates or late nights cuddling on the couch or whatever, but also not mindless boning.  They've friendzoned the world (if they're social) or tend to be work/project focused (if they're not)

Think of it as more like the vegan/vegetarian spectrum.  One is excluding more things than the other.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

Soooo this is getting way off-topic - unheard of on this thread, I know - but I can answer a few of those questions. I've seen aromantic and asexual included on the LGBTQAMX[vowels][consonants] spectrum, but I don't know what the official stance on that is, if one exists. You're correct that hetero/bi/homo/pansexual can be combined with asexual/aromantic to get all sorts of interesting flavors (and there's also demisexual, for bonus confusion points!). And you can get people who are aromantic and asexual (see above, sometimes aromatic is just taken to mean both of those).

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 1

They should write in lots of torrid romance and steamy hot sex... but only between NPCs. PC would be all by his little self in the big captain's cabin on the Defiant, while the rest of the gang gets it on belowdecks.

The reaction would be epic.

This. AND have NPCs tease the PC for his failure to get in on the action.

What "IS" a Watcher, really?  Maybe the PC is just into Voyeurism. 

Yeah and then the teasing would be odd if the PC's asexual.

Wouldn't asexuality in the game be included by the sheer ability for the player to turn down a romantic advance though? Or for a companion to not be interested in a romance? Being asexual doesn't preclude others from being attracted to you, so I don't think it'd change much about how other characters would act towards the character in question.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Wouldn't asexuality in the game be included by the sheer ability for the player to turn down a romantic advance though? Or for a companion to not be interested in a romance? Being asexual doesn't preclude others from being attracted to you, so I don't think it'd change much about how other characters would act towards the character in question.

Being able to turn down sex would be an excellent option, yes. And if the NPC offering then decided they didn't want a romantic relationship without sex, that would be a perfectly valid (and realistic) response. But I've never seen a game which included an exchange like that. At best, you can turn down immediate sexy times, but with the expectation that they'll happen later.

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 1

Being able to turn down sex would be an excellent option, yes. And if the NPC offering then decided they didn't want a romantic relationship without sex, that would be a perfectly valid (and realistic) response. But I've never seen a game which included an exchange like that. At best, you can turn down immediate sexy times, but with the expectation that they'll happen later.

Ah, I see the distinction you're making. I do think I've seen games that allowed you to carry out a romantic relationship whilst turning sex down, but it's true that the underlying assumption is more "not right now" than "not interested in sex, period". To the best of my memory there's also a few games that involved romance without actually involving sex, or even physical contact - Planescape: Torment for one, where you can develop a romance of sorts with Fall-From-Grace but herself being a succubus means the affair's inevitably forced to be platonic and so on (Annah's does involve a kiss however); likewise Safiya's in Mask of the Betrayer I think never involved actual sex. Interestingly these are some of the romances I've enjoyed the most in the medium.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

They should write in lots of torrid romance and steamy hot sex... but only between NPCs. PC would be all by his little self in the big captain's cabin on the Defiant, while the rest of the gang gets it on belowdecks.

The reaction would be epic.

This. AND have NPCs tease the PC for his failure to get in on the action.

What "IS" a Watcher, really?  Maybe the PC is just into Voyeurism. 

Yeah and then the teasing would be odd if the PC's asexual.

Pretty much what Tar said yeah.

And of course I'd expect certain NPCs to be okay/not okay with it and that' dbe fine.

The closest thing to a non-sexual romance I've seen is one of the paths for Sebastian Vael (from DAII) - he's celibate for religious reasons. But it's all tied to his character arc so the sex issue, as such, doesn't really come up.

Day 362: The mods still do nothing to shut down this cesspool of a thread. I’ve been trapped here for too long and I’m ready to end it. To everybody who comes here after me, I sincerely hope you come to understand why this thread has devolved so. Good luck and godspeed.

-A Weary Traveler

*Gunshot and the thud of a former adventurer hitting the ground*

• Like 2

In all honesty, though, people have stopped talking about the game a long time ago. Just take it to off-topic or somethig if you want to talk about sexuality and the like. You can sex anyone you want, but why u gotta talk about it here?

This thread was a deliberate Psyop by the members of this forum to drive you insane. 

But it all seriousness people are just shooting the breeze talking about an advertised mechanic (One the writers is expressing pride about it on Social Media) until the game comes out. It's not anymore complex than that. 

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

Day 362: The mods still do nothing to shut down this cesspool of a thread. I’ve been trapped here for too long and I’m ready to end it. To everybody who comes here after me, I sincerely hope you come to understand why this thread has devolved so. Good luck and godspeed.

-A Weary Traveler

*Gunshot and the thud of a former adventurer hitting the ground*

Tomorrow the mod chokes on his own banhammer. Tomorrow, I become the Effigy.

• Like 5

In all honesty, though, people have stopped talking about the game a long time ago. Just take it to off-topic or somethig if you want to talk about sexuality and the like. You can sex anyone you want, but why u gotta talk about it here?

This thread was a deliberate Psyop by the members of this forum to drive you insane. 

But it all seriousness people are just shooting the breeze talking about an advertised mechanic (One the writers is expressing pride about it on Social Media) until the game comes out. It's not anymore complex than that. 

That's all well and good, but whenever I go to the forum for Deadfire Discussion and I see this thread still persisting it feels like I've stumbled into Tumblr.

• Like 1

Why not ignore the thread then? It's not like the topic is spilling onto other parts of the forum.

I’ve already been doing so, but I’ve said what I did for the sake of hyperbole and good fun. Also might get people talking about other things for a bit, which is all fine and dandy. I know that this thread will carry on no matter what I do, so I may as well try to have fun with it no matter how much I’d prefer it’s nonexistence.

Oh this is nothing. A few weeks after release there will be a waifu megathread for each companion with running battles between rival shippers spreading all over the board. This? This is fairly comfy.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1