Why single out the women? Everyone is ugly in DA:I. The facial proportions are weird and everyone seems to be excreting a thick sheen of oil.

Not really:

https://goo.gl/images/R4p1zL

Cullen is a stereotypical chiselled adonis with a jaw so wide and square you could use it as a house foundation.

Blackwall isn't too bad but that beard makes him look like he's got Cthulhu growing on his chin.

Dorian is fabulous. Solas, not sure about him.

Meh. The non cherry picked screenshots still make the dude look really weird and he's weirder in motion. it's an ugly game.

And dudes and dudettes! The quotes! Please crop the quotes! Holy Lord of Fruitless Debates - this is so much nesting I fear we will see some weird eggs soon...

• Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This thread needs to be locked so people can just stop arguing about something so useless.

Alternatively, there will be another thread that will repeat all of the arguments above :devil:

I just feel like this thread has went way off the topic of what the OP was trying to discuss and should be moved to maybe the Off Topic Section or Tumblr

Meh. The non cherry picked screenshots still make the dude look really weird and he's weirder in motion. it's an ugly game.

To be honest Cullen's really the most conventionally attractive male. But saying the others are ugly because they don't look like super models like Cullen and Vivienne is ridiculous.

That said I do agree with you that some of DAI's lighting makes the characters look hideous.

And dudes and dudettes! The quotes! Please crop the quotes! Holy Lord of Fruitless Debates - this is so much nesting I fear we will see some weird eggs soon...

They really should do an auto remove nesting quotes feature or make the BBCCode option easier to use. It's a pain.

Is Josephine ugly? I'd smash a girl who looks like her irl. But I did find the innocent girl act abit tedious.

My only issue with the innocent act (which I kind of got because she's kind of sheltered in some ways) was they could've given her an extra love scene. She already has the lowest amount of interaction than any LI and Cullen gets the benefit of having 3 games worth of development.

Also people being so quick to point out Cullen...um...he was always attractive in each game he was in. It's not like Leliana or Morrigan's looks were severely downgraded through the games either. The main reason Cassandra was changed because she was generic as hell in DA2.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

forqGtG.png

I'm just hoping the romances will be as funny as the Tyranny ones :p

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Bioware romance talk not going away.

Well as long as people constantly lie about it to push their agendas yeah it won't.

forqGtG.png

I'm just hoping the romances will be as funny as the Tyranny ones :p

I still don't even know how to trigger the Tyranny romances. I managed to do it once but I can't repeat it.

I just hope all the romances were written by Josh. I feel like only someone that hates video game romance could write a decent one. The only other candidate in that regard was Avellone, and he seems to have gone insane.

Wait what now regarding the bolded?

That said I'm fine with romances as long as they feel like an actual partnership and not the PC bribing the LI into boning them. Those relationships end up feeling toxic as hell but no one admitting how toxic they are (which again I have no issue with toxic relationships but there needs to be some acknowledgement and those romances just pretend that's health and okay when it's really not) which skives me out.

The main issue with video game romances in my opinion is they don't feel like 2 people that actually are in a relationship. It often feels forced/random or as a reward with your PC doing all the heavy lifting for the romance to happen which is just no.

As for player sexual companions...I don't really care? I'm fine with a defined sexuality or player-sexual. My main concern is the relationship itself not being shallow.

I personally prefer 2 bi companions because romances can be resource intensive and I'd rather get more quests and such than 6 different LIs but that's a take it or leave it scenario.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

I agree with you in principle on everything but the bi thing. For whatever reason just the knowledge that a companion's sexuality was tailored explicitly for the player just takes me right out of the narrative. If the writer thinks a companion is bi fine. But just making them bi so more people can have their waifu/husbando fantasy in one playthrough bugs me. If a romance arc added a lot to the plot or themes but was unavailable because of my watcher's gender or sexuality, I'd just make a different watcher on a replay. Just like trying a different race or class.

As for Avellone...well many won't agree with my take. There's a thread on the most recent drama in the Computer and Console forum on this site.

Edited by The Sharmat

I just hope all the romances were written by Josh. I feel like only someone that hates video game romance could write a decent one. The only other candidate in that regard was Avellone, and he seems to have gone insane.

That said I'm fine with romances as long as they feel like an actual partnership and not the PC bribing the LI into boning them. Those relationships end up feeling toxic as hell but no one admitting how toxic they are (which again I have no issue with toxic relationships but there needs to be some acknowledgement and those romances just pretend that's health and okay when it's really not) which skives me out.

The main issue with video game romances in my opinion is they don't feel like 2 people that actually are in a relationship. It often feels forced/random or as a reward with your PC doing all the heavy lifting for the romance to happen which is just no.

As for player sexual companions...I don't really care? I'm fine with a defined sexuality or player-sexual. My main concern is the relationship itself not being shallow.

I personally prefer 2 bi companions because romances can be resource intensive and I'd rather get more quests and such than 6 different LIs but that's a take it or leave it scenario.

>  feeling toxic as hell but no one admitting how toxic they are (which again I have no issue with toxic relationships but there needs to be some acknowledgement and those romances just pretend that's health and okay when it's really not)

Who would be doing the admissions or acknowledgements about how 'toxic' these relationships are?

Who gets to define what is and isn't 'toxic' in a relationship?

Why do in-game relationships have to be 'healthy'?

You come off as very preachy here.

Edited by Yosharian

>  feeling toxic as hell but no one admitting how toxic they are (which again I have no issue with toxic relationships but there needs to be some acknowledgement and those romances just pretend that's health and okay when it's really not)

Who would be doing the admissions or acknowledgements about how 'toxic' these relationships are?

You're always very quick to start an argument with a strawman then run off when people give you facts to counter your nonsense.

I never said a relationship had to be healthy. I actually distinctly said the opposite. Yet here you are again claiming someone said something they didn't.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

You don't get tired of the power fantasy? I'd kill for an actually dysfunctional relationship in an RPG that was actually intended to be written that way. Would be interesting.

• Like 1

You're always quick to start an argument with a strawman then run off when people give you facts to counter your nonsense.

I never said a relationship had to be healthy. I actually distinctly said the opposite. Yet here you are again claiming someone said something they didn't.

> You're always quick to start an argument with a strawman then run off when people give you facts to counter your nonsense.

When did that happen?  I must have missed it.

> I never said a relationship had to be healthy.

You did say there needs to be some acknowledgement that the relationships are 'toxic'.  In other words, you're saying that it's ok to portray 'toxic' relationships, but they need to be portrayed as a bad thing.

So ok, you didn't say they have to be healthy, but why do they have to be portrayed as a bad thing?  Again, I ask: who gets to decide what is toxic and isn't toxic in a relationship?

Maybe the sort of relationship you thing is a good one, I think is toxic.  You see how that works?

I'll ask again:

1) Who would be doing the admissions or acknowledgements about how 'toxic' these relationships are?

2) Who gets to define what is and isn't 'toxic' in a relationship?

What's better writing, a relationship that's meant to be good but comes across terrible, or a relationship meant to be terrible that comes across as terrible.

Also greentext doesn't work here. I kind of wish it did because 4chan's quote system is unironically better than this forum's, but still. Why the arrows?

• Like 1

I agree with you in principle on everything but the bi thing. For whatever reason just the knowledge that a companion's sexuality was tailored explicitly for the player just takes me right out of the narrative. If the writer thinks a companion is bi fine. But just making them bi so more people can have their waifu/husbando fantasy in one playthrough bugs me. If a romance arc added a lot to the plot or themes but was unavailable because of my watcher's gender or sexuality, I'd just make a different watcher on a replay. Just like trying a different race or class.

As for Avellone...well many won't agree with my take. There's a thread on the most recent drama in the Computer and Console forum on this site.

Oh that's fair. I mostly am pro bi because romances take quite a bit of resources and I'm one of those types that prefer content most players can use. I don't mind exclusive content but I rather we all have access to things that aren't as prone to personal preferences as a romance. That said I do prefer an LI to be consistent above all. So if a character is super flirty and they're a player option I want them to flirt with the player's gender. Not nonsense like the bi option being pretty much straight until you hit on them as the PC then magically they're okay with flirting with the same gender. My god that's the one thing that almost always drives me bananas because it feels so forced. But if resources weren't an issue I do enjoy defined sexualities (that don't just revolve around the PCs and because of that I'm really looking forward to the NPC and NPC romances because that's really my jam because my PCs are matchmakers at heart :3 )

I also don't mind however LIs that are more subtle with their affections. It just needs to be consistent for me. Like Merrill didn't bother me because she wasn't overly bold in flirting with Hawke as one gender then extremely subtle with the other. She was always pretty subtle with her comments. Meanwhile Isabela is bold and flirty with everyone she meets and the player is no exception.

But if a romance arc adds a lot to the plot and is restricted by gender/sexuality it tends to put me off the romance personally. Because that's a lot of resources on something I might not be able to use and I'm salty by nature :p I rather get more friendship content with that character instead if that development is important to the plot. I don't really compare that to a race or class because you're always giving up something in that matter. If I play a human I'm not an elf and vice versa. Meanwhile a plot integral romance often doesn't give up something of a similar value so it's like ehhh for me. (Unless of course there's multiple plot integral romances in which case that again leads to the resource issue). I rather that be put in a friendship route because there always has to be compromises in amounts of content.

Ah thanks for the information.

Edited by Ryz009

You don't get tired of the power fantasy? I'd kill for an actually dysfunctional relationship in an RPG that was actually intended to be written that way. Would be interesting.

There's a big difference between:

a) I'm tired of 'power fantasy' relationships, I'd like to see other types represented.

and

b) 'Power fantasy' relationships are 'toxic as hell and nobody admits how toxic they are; there needs to be some acknowledgement [of how toxic they are].'  (Direct quote from what Ryz is saying)

If you're asking for different types of relationships, I have no problem with that.

I usually despise videogame 'relationships' where you give gifts or whatever and get sex in return.

What's better writing, a relationship that's meant to be good but comes across terrible, or a relationship meant to be terrible that comes across as terrible.

Also greentext doesn't work here. I kind of wish it did because 4chan's quote system is unironically better than this forum's, but still. Why the arrows?

> What's better writing, a relationship that's meant to be good but comes across terrible, or a relationship meant to be terrible that comes across as terrible.

I don't think you can define whether a relationship is well-written or not by using such broad strokes.  You haven't even defined 'good' and 'terrible'.

> Why the arrows?

I like to respond to points individually for clarity.