I see the Watcher x Talking Sword shippers have arrived!  :dancing:

(The one in Baldur's Gate talked about gushing fluids and I'm now chuckling at potential dialogue prospects.)

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

Dear lord people still going on about that forced Anders flirt? My god some people have the thinnest of skins. He hit on you, you can shut him down. Jesus christ at some people acting like an unwanted advance that's easily shut down is the end of the universe. (And the only way to even get hit on is to pick the diplomatic super nice supportive guy options twice in the conversation. Pick any thing else and he doesn't even hit on you).

"But I get five rivalry points!" that you can make up in the very next conversation. Oh noes. (especially hilarious given Anders is one of the easiest companions to max out friendship on. Give me a break).

I think that they are all scared, the idea of a guy hitting on you is scarying if you still have doubts of who you are and what you like, lack of confidence.

I disliked that moment with Anders and I have had guys literally beg me to have sex with them and it didn't bother me, so no, it isn't that.

It's very easy to dismiss criticism as 'oh they're just bigots'.

Disliking the moment is one thing. Crying about it years later as a forced romance (despite it being no such thing. At most it's a forced flirtation and you know what? I've had one of those in every single BW game except DAI as a female character and somehow I managed to reject them and move along.)

Hell even male PCs get hit on unavoidably by female characters. Somehow people managed to reject them just fine for their preferred partner without acting like it was the end of the world years later.

It'd be one thing if people were asking for the option to let people down without being a douchebag (because sometimes the rejects were a bit much like jesus I felt like a monster when rejecting Merrill). But the "how dare X character hits on my PC!" is laughable.

Dear lord people still going on about that forced Anders flirt? My god some people have the thinnest of skins. He hit on you, you can shut him down. Jesus christ at some people acting like an unwanted advance that's easily shut down is the end of the universe. (And the only way to even get hit on is to pick the diplomatic super nice supportive guy options twice in the conversation. Pick any thing else and he doesn't even hit on you).

"But I get five rivalry points!" that you can make up in the very next conversation. Oh noes. (especially hilarious given Anders is one of the easiest companions to max out friendship on. Give me a break).

I think that they are all scared, the idea of a guy hitting on you is scarying if you still have doubts of who you are and what you like, lack of confidence.

Seriously I don't get it. Like I can't think of a single BW game other than DAI my fem protag wasn't hit on at least once. And sometimes in a very crass manner. My PC said no and moved along. Oh noes.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

I disliked that moment with Anders and I have had guys literally beg me to have sex with them and it didn't bother me, so no, it isn't that.

Disliking the moment is one thing. Crying about it years later as a forced romance (despite it being no such thing. At most it's a forced flirtation and you know what? I've had one of those in every single BW game except DAI as a female character and somehow I managed to reject them and move along.

Hell even male PCs get hit on unavoidably by female characters. Somehow people managed to reject them just fine for their preferred partner without acting like it was the end of the world years later.

> crying

> end of the world

Do you ever stop to think that your hyperbole doesn't accurately represent reality?

• Like 1

Disliking the moment is one thing. Crying about it years later as a forced romance (despite it being no such thing. At most it's a forced flirtation and you know what? I've had one of those in every single BW game except DAI as a female character and somehow I managed to reject them and move along.

> crying

> end of the world

Do you ever stop to think that your hyperbole doesn't accurately represent reality?

Constantly bringing it up the way some people do in every single thread to do about same sex romances does hit my definition of crying about it and acting like they were traumatized by it. Especially given the language they usually use.

And yes I'm very used to hearing that over-exaggerated complaint so please don't try to tell me about an accurate representation. Anders is not forced on you as a romance option. He hits on you, you can reject him and its never brought up again other than the rivalry hit. (that once again is laughably easy to make up). It's also hilarious because it's the only time that every happened and yet people cling to it as this horrible awful thing that'll constantly happen.

Now if that's not you that's great. But I've heard that very attitude expressed multiple times and it's tiresome.

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 2

> crying

> end of the world

Constantly bringing it up the way some people do in every single thread to do about same sex romances does hit my definition of crying about it and acting like they were traumatized by it. Especially given the language they usually use.

And yes I'm very used to hearing that over-exaggerated complaint so please don't try to tell me about an accurate representation. Anders is not forced on you as a romance option. He hits on you, you can reject him and its never brought up again other than the rivalry hit. (that once again is laughably easy to make up)

Strange, I don't remember people complaining about Zevran despite him doing a similar thing.

> crying

> end of the world

And yes I'm very used to hearing that over-exaggerated complaint so please don't try to tell me about an accurate representation. Anders is not forced on you as a romance option. He hits on you, you can reject him and its never brought up again other than the rivalry hit. (that once again is laughably easy to make up)

Strange, I don't remember people complaining about Zevran despite him doing a similar thing.

I have actually. Generally only in BioWare boards thankfully he's not trotted out like Anders was probably because Zevran required a certain amount of approval before he offered and unlike Anders it's a missable conversation. Also unlike Anders he's not trotted out by people who obviously didn't play the game and just want to push a bs lie (thanks to that silly comic). That and if early on you tell Zev you're not interested in men he doesn't even give you the massage conversation I'm pretty sure. That said I've played DA2 more often and more recently than DAO so I can't be completely certain.

(Also wtf why can't I trim some of these quotes?)

Edited by Ryz009

Complaining because you might miss something because of sexual orientation feels like complaining the game reacts differently to choosing different races or classes to me. Replay the game, or don't and switch to a genre that doesn't even pretend to cater to roleplaying.

• Like 1

> crying

> end of the world

I have actually. Generally only in BioWare boards thankfully he's not trotted out like Anders was probably because Zevran required a certain amount of approval before he offered and unlike Anders it's a missable conversation. Also unlike Anders he's not trotted out by people who obviously didn't play the game and just want to push a bs lie. That and if early on you tell Zev you're not interested in men he doesn't even give you the massage conversation I'm pretty sure. That said I've played DA2 too more often than DAO so I can't be completely certain.

> Zevran required a certain amount of approval before he offered

> and unlike Anders it's a missable conversation

qsAkUG4.png

> crying

> end of the world

I have actually. Generally only in BioWare boards thankfully he's not trotted out like Anders was probably because Zevran required a certain amount of approval before he offered and unlike Anders it's a missable conversation. Also unlike Anders he's not trotted out by people who obviously didn't play the game and just want to push a bs lie. That and if early on you tell Zev you're not interested in men he doesn't even give you the massage conversation I'm pretty sure. That said I've played DA2 too more often than DAO so I can't be completely certain.

qsAkUG4.png

? What's to wonder. You had to speak to Zevran at camp with 30+ approval before he offered the sex conversation. Thus it's miss-able. You can't even recruit Anders (who is a forced companion) without saving Karl and the conversation where he hits on you is a forced conversation right after that quest. You do realize people had Zevran at a higher approval for him not to stab you in the back but still got him betraying them because they never spoke to him and got the "I'm your man" conversation right? It was one of the more hilarious "why won't he stop betraying me" things I had to explain. (Some people even ran into the same issue with Bull which lol)

Fenris had the same issue with turning on people when they sided with the mages despite having enough approval to stay loyal. People skip non forced conversations quite often.

Edited by Ryz009

> crying

> end of the world

qsAkUG4.png

? What's to wonder. You had to speak to Zevran at camp with 30+ approval before he offered the sex conversation. Thus it's miss-able. You can't even recruit Anders (who is a forced companion) without saving Karl and the conversation where he hits on you is a forced conversation right after that quest. You do realize people had Zevran at a higher approval for him not to stab you in the back but still got him betraying them because they never spoke to him and got the "I'm your man" conversation right? It was one of the more hilarious "why won't he stop betraying me" things I had to explain. (Some people even ran into the same issue with Bull which lol)

Fenris had the same issue with turning on people when they sided with the mages despite having enough approval to stay loyal. People skip non forced conversations quite often.

The emoji was meant to illustrate 'makes you think huh' not 'I don't believe you'.

qsAkUG4.png

This is just a test. It's possible to delete the previous comments. But I know sometimes it messes the part you want to keep.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

The emoji was meant to illustrate 'makes you think huh' not 'I don't believe you'.

Oh my bad. XD But yeah sorry that's just something that bugged me from years back. Waaay too much time debating it to be neutral on it. (Amusingly enough there is an actual forced romance in DAO in a bug with Leliana where if you do her Marjoline quest a certain way it flags her as romanced. That lead to a rather amusing conversation when I got back to camp. Alistair wasn't pleased needless to say XD) They never fixed it either lol. Edit 2: Oh wait there's another one Liara in ME1. In which if you use the renegade no you're trapped in her romance (that's the only reason my renedouche had an LI) and unlike Leliana once it's flagged unless you get the Ashley/Kaidan confrontation you're stuck in her romance. That's really the only true forced romance in any BW game that I've played. (I didn't play NWN though.) Ashley/Kaidan are borderline in that they have weird triggers for their romances but you get a really obvious out with them so I don't count it :p Liara meanwhile fools you into thinking you've rejected her and then hours later you've realized you're trapped :blink:

But honestly I just take it as BW being less hide the gay romance in DA2 and onwards. Trying to trigger Sky's gay romance in JE was an exercise in frustration until I played a CF character and realized I had to be a complete **** to the female romance options before having his romance initiation conversation for it to trigger. Zevran constantly asks if the male PC's okay with him hitting on him despite it not being character friendly at all and hitting on everyone else shamelessly. (If anything inconsistencies like that bother me way more than being hit on. Looking at you Bull...though he does have an excuse. Kinda.)

My main desire with NPC initiated romances is I get friendly and rude options to reject them. Anders rejection main issue was that your PC was a bit too aggressive with it that it was just a bad look (especially since the only way to even get to that point was to be overly diplomatic to begin with so it wasn't even consistent with Hawke's character). With Zevran/Sky at least you can be more neutral/friendly with the rejections. Considering he only hits on the PC if they're super supportive and understanding of his and Karl's relationship I see nothing wrong with someone as clingy and desperate as Anders hitting on Hawke in that scenario or his disapproval of being rejected. (Also may I add that if you do flirt with him for whatever reason you at least get the option to stop him before he shoves his tongue down your throat before his act 2 romance scene *even getting an option that literally has Hawke say not a word but lets the kiss play unimpeded which had me laughing like a maniac once I realized it) unlike poor FemHawke who just gets a non optional tonsil hockey scene with no dialogue wheel to back out of it). So even if you accidentally flag his romance with that giant heart icon you're not forced into anything romantic without being given ample opportunities to back out. It just really made no sense that a sympathetic and supportive Hawke (who is the only Hawke that can get hit on in this scenario) wouldn't be such in their rejection of Anders.

Well least I see the BBCCode option now. Wish it wasn't so hard to spot XD

Edited by Ryz009

Yes, please turn off BBCodeMode and delete the quotes safely. Reading this nested stuff on a phone is so... bad! :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Witcher series has ton of LGBT characters, some of them are quite major characters(like Ciri). Does that make CDPR part of the crusade as well?

Hell, in PoE 1 there is a lesbian companion, who openly states that she is attracted to woman, does that make Obsidian part of the crusade?

Or does it has to be a love interest to the protagonist to count? If that's the case I think Obsidian will be joining the crusade in a little more than a month.

As far as I know the Witcher series has two gay characters. In Witcher 2 a wizard betrays the good guys. He's subsequently show with a half-naked male slave, squeezing his pimples. The designers explicitly said they intended to make him as despicable as possible. His sexuality serves to make him even more disgusting to the presumed straight player, much in the same way bishonen and sissy villains were meant to do for decades. The wizard is killed but he can also be castrated for good measure. It is indeed one the most homophobic games of the last years.

In Witcher 3 Geralt can find a hunter in the wilderness. He is described as freak. If the player inquires the hunter will explain that he fell in love with the son of the local lord. Said lord caught them and the son killed himself. The lord became an alcoholic, his estate fell into ruin. And the hunter now lives in the wilderness alone because he is a social outcast. This is by no means a positive representation.

Ciri is an entirely different matter. While this was not the case 20 or 30 years ago, the current ideal of heterosexual masculinity dictates that straight men must think lesbians are hot. The reactions towards lesbian characters in games is nowhere anywhere near as negative as those toward gay characters.

• Like 6

This thread will forever be here it seems.

Witcher series has ton of LGBT characters, some of them are quite major characters(like Ciri). Does that make CDPR part of the crusade as well?

Hell, in PoE 1 there is a lesbian companion, who openly states that she is attracted to woman, does that make Obsidian part of the crusade?

Or does it has to be a love interest to the protagonist to count? If that's the case I think Obsidian will be joining the crusade in a little more than a month.

As far as I know the Witcher series has two gay characters. In Witcher 2 a wizard betrays the good guys. He's subsequently show with a half-naked male slave, squeezing his pimples. The designers explicitly said they intended to make him as despicable as possible. His sexuality serves to make him even more disgusting to the presumed straight player, much in the same way bishonen and sissy villains were meant to do for decades. The wizard is killed but he can also be castrated for good measure. It is indeed one the most homophobic games of the last years.

In Witcher 3 Geralt can find a hunter in the wilderness. He is described as freak. If the player inquires the hunter will explain that he fell in love with the son of the local lord. Said lord caught them and the son killed himself. The lord became an alcoholic, his estate fell into ruin. And the hunter now lives in the wilderness alone because he is a social outcast. This is by no means a positive representation.

Ciri is an entirely different matter. While this was not the case 20 or 30 years ago, the current ideal of heterosexual masculinity dictates that straight men must think lesbians are hot. The reactions towards lesbian characters in games is nowhere anywhere near as negative as those toward gay characters.

The hunter's situation is supposed to show how the homophobia of the society they live in. The son killed himself because of the intolerance of his father who refused to accept him for who he is and the hunter is an outcast because of his sexuality, it was to show how ****ty the society is not endorse their treatment of gay people. To show the problems intolerance causes, just as it portrays racism via the treatment of elves for instance.

There is also a transvestite elf you can meet who is portrayed positively. Witcher 3 was a big step forward in many ways for the series.

The Ciri thing was a reference to the books, it was an easter egg for those who had read the relevant stories and a nod to a character those people would know.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I just watched that scene (search for 'uncle roche meets uncle dethmold').  I don't think it does that at all.

If it is meant to show him as a disgusting character it's because his slave is physically repulsive, and because his manner with the slave is repulsive, and also the slave's obedient manner is quite repulsive.  It has very little to do with the fact that his slave is male in my view.

Maybe you're the homophobe, because you're seeing a scene portraying two repulsive characters showing repulsive behaviour, and all you can fixate upon is the gender of the characters.  Presumably, if the slave had been female, you'd have had no problem with the scene?  What does that say about you?

Maybe it's the case that developers simply cannot have two repulsive males in a master/slave scenario because critics will instantly accuse the developer of using the slave's gender as a weapon.

You seek to shackle artistic creativity in the name of social responsibility, but I think it's a dishonest facade.

• Like 1

I just watched that scene (search for 'uncle roche meets uncle dethmold').  I don't think it does that at all.

If it is meant to show him as a disgusting character it's because his slave is physically repulsive, and because his manner with the slave is repulsive, and also the slave's obedient manner is quite repulsive.  It has very little to do with the fact that his slave is male in my view.

Maybe you're the homophobe, because you're seeing a scene portraying two repulsive characters showing repulsive behaviour, and all you can fixate upon is the gender of the characters.  Presumably, if the slave had been female, you'd have had no problem with the scene?  What does that say about you?

Maybe it's the case that developers simply cannot have two repulsive males in a master/slave scenario because critics will instantly accuse the developer of using the slave's gender as a weapon.

You seek to shackle artistic creativity in the name of social responsibility, but I think it's a dishonest facade.

It is no coincidence that gay, bisexual and effeminate men were, and to a degree still are, so often cast as villains but rarely as good guys and certainly never as gay hero protagonist. Homosexuality has often been used to paint pictures of depraved, unmanly villains. Either you are unaware of this history and context or you are wilfully ignoring it. If you call it art is meaningless to me. Homophobia is homophobia regardless.

• Like 5

No, because none of them made a big deal out of it. It was just there, like a ton of other content. 

Bioware did, and employees of the company did, including Gaider, on the forums. In fact, Gaider was on the record more than most, beating the SJW drum. He was in fact, instrumental in pushing for it, likely because he's gay himself. 

I know it's an amazing concept, but people can, in fact, have agendas and people within BW weren't even trying to deny it. 

https://www.polygon.com/2014/7/1/5860204/dragon-age-inquisition-bioware-gay-character

https://www.destructoid.com/bioware-lead-writer-talks-gay-romances-lgbt-characters-and-dragon-age-sales-292333.phtml

https://gamerant.com/bioware-same-sex-romance-stance/

And there is no denying what obvious agenda you are pushing. The level of anxiety from insecure heterosexuals over those hidden homosexuals, that the for the most part are already specifically designed to be entirely avoidable, is most curious. If you do not wish to encounter anything gay then games, barring a handful of indie exceptions, have you covered. If you hate homosexuals so much that you cannot stand the very thought of playing a game with homosexuals in it then you are part of a group that is no longer universally catered to. Though you still can play 99% of games without issue since the overwhelmingly huge majority of games, as shockin as that may seem to you, do not have any gay characters. Luckily Deadfire is not one of them. No matter how angry you and your accomplices get Deadfire will still have gay content.

• Like 3

Philippa is also a bi-sexual character(or lesbian?), in Witcher 3 they don't really show that but Dijkstra mentioned it in his dialogue. 

Philippa is also a bi-sexual character(or lesbian?), in Witcher 3 they don't really show that but Dijkstra mentioned it in his dialogue. 

Philippa is more bisexual (also power-sexual). She prefer girls and lesbomancy, but was flirting with Dijkstra in some dialogue.

Unfortunetly the fat spy was more interested in plotting than hooting around.

When it is the only instance of a gay or bisexual male character in the entire game then looking at the scene in that light is completely justified. 

Obviously there is nothing wrong with having gay, bisexual or effeminate villains, but when they also happen to be the only male character who isn't straight then obviously that has really negative implications.

I get the feeling that if there was a game where the cast was almost all powerful female characters and the one male character was an evil, bumbling idiot you would be the first to point to his gender and call the game a shameless agenda-driven piece of work.

• Like 5