I'm sorry but I can't accept the fact that somebody was "born" with a biased mindset or sexual preference.

While I am delighted to be informed about things you can and cannot accept, I would appreciate it if you would not hijack this thread. There is a whole forum to discuss this sort of thing.

• Like 1

Yes, sire. As you wish...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

In ME:A, Bioware's latest game, a straight male can romance three different characters, all of them are companions who has more content and better made cut scenes comparing to the other non-companion romance(seriously, I had zero idea why they spend so much resource on making that Cora sex scene instead of polishing the game), plus two flings, one of them is straight male only. That's more than any other sexual orientation.

I'll say in DA:I a straight female is better when it comes to romance, not only they have more choices(if you choose to be human or elf), but they also have better content(only because they can romance Solas). But that's probably the only exception.

Kind of case in point right here for why I am hoping Obsidian does not do the romance thing, at least not like Bioware does. The score card for which gender/sexual orientation gets what is a very divisive thing. I mean just saying I enjoyed the Anomen romance got me attacked. And so then there is pressure to make sure everybody gets multiple good choices which is enormously burdensome.

So we have a combination of a feature that is both a source of enormous controversy and a resource hog and includes creating massive amounts of content most of us will never see unless we play through several times (unlikely for a game that is likely to take 100+ hours for many of us). If Obsidian had the resources of Bioware the gains might be worth those costs but they don't. So I hope however they handle the NPC relationship thing it is in a different way. ALL ROMANCES END IN PAIN. I don't know.

Personally I don't think romances cost that much to add. Bioware needs to add quite a lot of cut scenes just for romance, but Deadfire didn't really need that, just extra dialogues. Also making different choices to see how the game plays out is a big part of the replay value, and romance is definitely part of it, so personally I don't really see it as a huge source waste, unless they really goes out their way to do it(the Cora sex scene in ME:A, ).

Like I said before, I believe that if you decided to add romance, you should give every sexual orientation at least one available choice. Otherwise it will turn into a PR crisis. Besides they already finished developing the romance in Deadfire, noway we can change that now.

Amen to that.

All rpg's are trash when it comes to romances, that much we can agree on. Seems whether Jrpg's or Crpg's... even action rpg's. If only devs were treated with a but more realism and respect that they deserve, then rpg romances wouldn't become such a joke in the first place.

Maybe Deadfire will overcome this curse and break the cycle.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The Anomen romance was half my sister is dead, and half oh by the way you remind of my sister :blink:

Well that is just a lie. There was also his struggle with his father and wanting to become a knight and so forth. And he can fall and become sort of messed up, that was fun. The part you are referencing was only part of the plot in chapter 2, hardly two halves of the entire thing.

Don't worry boys there will be a love interest for you.

Have you read any of my posts on this subject? Because this makes no sense if you have. In any case my main character is both female and married so she already has a love interest.

If it makes you feel better about the equality Eder just went up a level in racist so yay?

I don't think I said anything about equality. Eder means well he was just raised in another culture. Also I am not sure what you are referring to in how he leveled up.

Eh I've lost track of the dude who said the thing about equal amounts of love interests and how the love interests aren't fair between men and women because Xoti's a zeolot, etc. I was trying to say well if Xoti being a zeolot is a problem they seem to have made racism a big enough part of Eder's character that it is always Josh's example. I am bad at using the quotey things, which is why I never use them, but I decided to try something new. Didn't mean to seem like I was going after you.

As for the thing with Anomen, I totally forgot the whole fallen knight thing, you're totally right. It's been years since I played BG2. I still think it makes it hard to be a great romance when the MC is repeatedly compared to a (female) dead family member, but I can see why you'd enjoy it.

I think what people always need to come back to with romances in games is that they work best when they are written like romances in good movies or good literature.  That does not necessarily mean "realistic".  It usually doesn't.  Real life is frequently dull and frustrating, so we like books and movies and games that give us a break from that.  That tell a story.  Romance in a role-playing game is part of that story.  The original Baldur's Gate romances worked better because they were woven through the overall plot by the timer.  You didn't really know when they would pop up, so they became a part of everything else that was going on.  The later Bioware games made them too mechanical, in my opinion.  It was obvious what they were and how they worked.

All rpg's are trash when it comes to romances, that much we can agree on.

No?

Some are good, some are bad. Just like any feature in a game can be good or bad. But most of it comes down to subjective opinions. So I'm sure you haven't enjoyed any, but a lot of other gamers have in fact enjoyed a lot of different romances in different games (not just in RPG:s).

I for one, is looking forward to the different relationships in Deadfire. It will be interesting to see Obsidian's take on it. They have a lot of new writers so I think/hope Carrie, Kate, etc. will raise the bar in this case.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Hello, Bioware boards; I didn't miss you at all.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

No?

Some are good, some are bad. Just like any feature in a game can be good or bad. But most of it comes down to subjective opinions. So I'm sure you haven't enjoyed any, but a lot of other gamers have in fact enjoyed a lot of different romances in different games (not just in RPG:s).

I for one, is looking forward to the different relationships in Deadfire. It will be interesting to see Obsidian's take on it. They have a lot of new writers so I think/hope Carrie, Kate, etc. will raise the bar in this case.

I've played many rpg's over the years, none of which had well wtitten or meaningful romances.

However, I've played other genres of games which romamces were treated respectively and avtually had some point and a real affect on the story.

No?

I've played many rpg's over the years, none of which had well wtitten or meaningful romances.

However, I've played other genres of games which romamces were treated respectively and avtually had some point and a real affect on the story.

Planescape: Torment? Mask of the Betrayer? Viconia's in Baldur's Gate II?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Planescape: Torment? Mask of the Betrayer? Viconia's in Baldur's Gate II?

Yes, I have them.

They don't fall within your blanket statement, however.

My favorite out of which you mention was Planecape Torment and that is probably only because it dared to push boundries in what was allowed on gaming whether it was about death or love, (shock value) making it unique among any rpg sub-genre. The others were generally pale in comparison if I were being honest. None of the games had terribly great writing, despite nostalgic fans crediting BG2 and PST having some if the greatest stories of all time.

My favorite out of which you mention was Planecape Torment and that is probably only because it dared to push boundries in what was allowed on gaming whether it was about death or love, (shock value) making it unique among any rpg sub-genre. The others were generally pale in comparison if I were being honest. None of the games had terribly great writing, despite nostalgic fans crediting BG2 and PST having some if the greatest stories of all time.

Given what I've seen you credit as "great writing" in the past, I'll take this as high praise.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

There's nothing wrong with writing the characters in any sexual orientation, but Bioware's explicit branding as a 'socially responsible' company that represents 'disenfranchised minorities' in gaming, via force-feeding players their 'progressive content' (or, rather the idea that implement it- the content was mostly subtle in the game itself),  coupled with a toxic player-base that evolved into an inquisition on their forums, helped by terrible community (mis)management and Gaider's comments (who is bisexual/gay and openly biased on the issue) has poisoned whatever 'good intentions' the idea once had.

It got to the point that anyone who was questioning Bioware's approach in the matter was attacked or banned on their forums for being a racist/nazi/discriminatory monster (myself included), turning what was once whimsical and flavorful (Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2), first into an obligatory 'dating sim' feature and subsequently to outright pandering of the very worst of BW's player base.

Thus, knowing the sort of people this content would attract and resenting Bioware because they couldn't just stick to being a video-game company and had to go on a crusade - I'm now dead against romances as a 'feature', particularly of the ones explicitly designed to promote 'social justice'. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

They are alright. I mean they basically hit all the same notes romance content in other media hit. I mean they have the burden of having one of the participants being controlled by somebody who is not writing the romance, so under the circumstances I think they do fine. People certainly seem to really enjoy them. 

It got to the point that anyone who was questioning Bioware's approach in the matter was attacked or banned on their forums for being a racist/nazi/discriminatory monster (myself included), turning what was once whimsical and flavorful (Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2), first into an obligatory 'dating sim' feature and subsequently to outright pandering of the very worst of BW's player base.

Planescape: Torment was NOT a Bioware game. For one thing how they handled the romance was completely different. I do not really see how the romances in BG2 were really substantially different from what came later from Bioware, at least in how they mechanically and story-wise worked.

I am sorry the boards sucked. As far as the pandering and the obligatory nature of it, while I do not feel nearly as strongly as you seem to (I mean geez it was just some optional content dude come on), that was a pretty big burden on Bioware in their game design. One I would rather not see Obsidian have to take on.

Edited by Valmy

None of the games had terribly great writing, despite nostalgic fans crediting BG2 and PST having some if the greatest stories of all time.

Nostalgia? Well that does not line up with the facts. Fans said that about BG2 and PST at the time they were written. 

I do think people experience a story more powerfully when they feel like they are a direct participant in it, even if perhaps it is not written as well or as artfully done as Shakespeare. I mean that is why some of us are here, being fans of this genre.

Edited by Valmy

Thus, knowing the sort of people this content would attract and resenting Bioware because they couldn't just stick to being a video-game company and had to go on a crusade - I'm now dead against romances as a 'feature', particularly of the ones explicitly designed to promote 'social justice'.

Including non-heterosexuals in a game is not a crusade. I think you need to look the word up, cause you don't seem to understand what it means, or your are exagerating in a way which is ridiculous.

• Like 9

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Given what I've seen you credit as "great writing" in the past, I'll take this as high praise.
So, as I thought, resort to petty insults because there's no argument.

By the way, can you tell me what I've credited as good writing and how I'm wrong?

None of the games had terribly great writing, despite nostalgic fans crediting BG2 and PST having some if the greatest stories of all time.

Nostalgia? Well that does not line up with the facts. Fans said that about BG2 and PST at the time they were written.

I do think people experience a story more powerfully when they feel like they are a direct participant in it, even if perhaps it is not written as well or as artfully done as Shakespeare. I mean that is why some of us are here, being fans of this genre.

Right you are, there were rpg's with just as good writing then but sadly they didn't get the attention they deserved. Now years later, we hear confused fans give a comparison of "BG2 and PST were written by people who actually graduated college", their ignorance is based on the fact that they hadn't played other games which could possibly match up to the scripts or surpass it so for some it's become a hard pill to swallow. I'm excluding fanboyism on forums to make this a fair statement btw, as fanboyism is easy to pick out.

In recent years, playing 2D platformers with more efforts put into writing than most crpg's was a dream come true (dare I not mention them to create further argument) but the reason it was so because gamers as myself never thought it was possible. The indie scene has been doing great with romances and my hope is that rpg's benefit from this instead the usual "Let's bang" and 4 second cut-scene filled with naughty bits which pleases no man who's married in real life.

Alas, respectism and realism isn't subjective (as we all know) but I have faith Sawyer has seen this as a chance to bring rpg romance uo to par with other genres incorporating the more realistic side of romantic relationships.

Edited by SonicMage117

Including non-heterosexuals in a game is not a crusade. I think you need to look the word up, cause you don't seem to understand what it means, or your are exagerating in a way which is ridiculous.

I've never seen an argument against LGTBQA romances or characters that doesn't boil down to "Eww, that's gross and I don't want to see it in my game." and that is, frankly, bull****.

If you don't want to romance Anders, *don't*. It's that's simple. Nobody is forcing it down your throat. It's there as an option for people who want that. It's entirely up to you whether you pursue it. I played a male character who was best bro's with Anders, for the express purpose of murdering Templars, and romance never came up between us *because I never picked that option*. In fact through all of DAII and DA:I I never romanced *anybody*. My character was way to focused on fighting Templars and defeating Corypheus to even think about romancing anybody. In the ME series, I romanced Ashley Williams, because she was awesome, and held to that through the whole series. Again, it was an option that I chose.

Literally never have I seen a game *force* you into a homosexual relationship with anybody. The idea is frankly ridiculous.

• Like 12

Literally never have I seen a game *force* you into a homosexual relationship with anybody. The idea is frankly ridiculous.

e1277c4ff11aa8c1aca0852abd6b1a8008a0bd9b

Your search is over.

Edited by TheisEjsing

Slight rephrase: Never have I seen a non-dating sim force you into a homosexual relationship. Which, I mean...it's a dating sim, you know *exactly* what you're getting into. Nobody plays a "daddy dating sim" expecting anything but dating dudes, right? Right?

For the sake of my faith in humanity I hope I'm right.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 6