Yes, I agree that my view is not completely clear of 2x standards or stereotypical thinking, well that is just my view on the picture, it can be pretty distorted. The topic is about personal thoughts, not cold analytics :)

Ydwin interests me only due to her scientific background mixed with rogue-cipher way of life, that was a very interesting preset to develop a cool character. Her appearance is maybe the worst.

I am sure there will be a mod, the question is - will it have quality. It is hard to match pro-writers of Obsidian level.

About male companions - easy, I am not able to evaluate their physical attractiveness, as I am not into males, so I focus more on their archetypes. 

As for ladies I also pay great attention to their personality, except only for Maia  - we know nothing about her except she is Kana's sister, so they may share some common features, she is a noob captain, and she is an agent of Rauatai trade company. But that is about job, not about her personality. She may be Kana in skirt, or may be completely opposite.

As I mentioned, feeling no interest in given set of female companions will only lead to more focus on the plot of the the game, relationships are cool bonus content, but not necessary at all. Besides, my default rogue-cipher is more interested in whores, and my secondary paladin-chanter is all about good deeds and duty. My RP style will not require romance at all.

> Her appearance is maybe the worst.

DVY5gDK.png

Wow, so ugly.  Are you for real.  She's as cute as a button.

I'm always confused by why people complain that recent BioWare romances are '<3 dialogue <3 dialogue <3 dialogue sex.' It's not really more true of their recent games than it was of the older ones - maybe less, in fact. The romances with Zevran and Morrigan have the sex scenes early and the emotional connection develops afterwards. You can turn down sex with Alistair and Dorian but still continue the romance. All the DA2 and DAI romances have cut scenes and development that happens after any sex that occurs, and the romances with Solas and Josephine don't even have sex scenes in the first place. Seven out of the ten Andromeda romances have a fade to black, when there's even implied sex at all.

Meanwhile, Anomen barely spoke to me after we slept together (until the expansion came out, anyway) and you could only bang the various Jade Empire love interests at the end of the game.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree that my view is not completely clear of 2x standards or stereotypical thinking, well that is just my view on the picture, it can be pretty distorted. The topic is about personal thoughts, not cold analytics :)

Ydwin interests me only due to her scientific background mixed with rogue-cipher way of life, that was a very interesting preset to develop a cool character. Her appearance is maybe the worst.

I am sure there will be a mod, the question is - will it have quality. It is hard to match pro-writers of Obsidian level.

About male companions - easy, I am not able to evaluate their physical attractiveness, as I am not into males, so I focus more on their archetypes. 

As for ladies I also pay great attention to their personality, except only for Maia  - we know nothing about her except she is Kana's sister, so they may share some common features, she is a noob captain, and she is an agent of Rauatai trade company. But that is about job, not about her personality. She may be Kana in skirt, or may be completely opposite.

As I mentioned, feeling no interest in given set of female companions will only lead to more focus on the plot of the the game, relationships are cool bonus content, but not necessary at all. Besides, my default rogue-cipher is more interested in whores, and my secondary paladin-chanter is all about good deeds and duty. My RP style will not require romance at all.

DVY5gDK.png

That's a fan edit. This is the actual Ydwin portrait:

Portrait_Ydwin_lg.png

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm always confused by why people complain that recent BioWare romances are '<3 dialogue <3 dialogue <3 dialogue sex.' It's not really more true of their recent games than it was of the older ones - maybe less, in fact. The romances with Zevran and Morrigan have the sex scenes early and the emotional connection develops afterwards. You can turn down sex with Alistair and Dorian but still continue the romance. All the DA2 and DAI romances have cut scenes and development that happens after any sex that occurs, and the romances with Solas and Josephine don't even have sex scenes in the first place. Seven out of the ten Andromeda romances have a fade to black, when there's even implied sex at all.

Meanwhile, Anomen barely spoke to me after we slept together (until the expansion came out, anyway) and you could only bang the various Jade Empire love interests at the end of the game.

Mass Effect, probably.  I don't know for sure but I think all the ME romances throughout the series have had on-screen sex scenes.

(Andromeda doesn't count, it's not a Mass Effect game, it doesn't exist, *puts fingers in ears and sings gibberish*)

Yeah I feel bad for women (or people who wanted a male romance, whatever your gender) players in BG2, the options are... not great.

• Like 1

DVY5gDK.png

Portrait_Ydwin_lg.png

You think I don't know that?

That is the entire point I'm trying to make to this guy...

I literally linked to that fan edit in my response to him but clearly he didn't get it.

Edit: also, the 'actual' Ydwin portrait doesn't really look any more or less accurate than the one I posted, when compared to the actual in-game model

Ty4zxc3.png

But regardless, you have to be really picky to have your immersion ruined by very slight differences in facial structure in an isometric top-down RPG where the main interactions are through portrait pictures.

Edited by Yosharian

You use Dragon Age: Origins as an example which is the only post-KOTOR BioWare I've played... And this isn't my experience at all. I found that the romances in that game only really involved playing to their ego, giving gifts, and if you were the right sex and had enough influence the characters would immediately start to react in a more romantic fashion towards you, with little buildup or owt leading to such a relationship. That is a stark contrast with the likes of Viconia for example, who has several ways in which you can screw up your romance with her and who really only falls for you if she deems you "worthy" of that relationship - there is a conflict of interests at play, she doesn't just want a yes man to compliment her every word, she seems to go out of her way to figure out *if* you are a good match for her before she even attempts to "romance" you, and all this makes her a far more compelling and fully realized romantic interest than any in Dragon Age: Origins. Anyhow, just my experience with the "BioWare romance" topic.

I'm not however blind to the fact that the other romances are pretty poor indeed. And to paraphrase Noah Caldwell-Gervais on the matter, say what you will about modern BioWare games and "romances" but the alternative to them used to be three varied female characters for male characters, "hunky hunky Anomen" for anyone else.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

DVY5gDK.png

Portrait_Ydwin_lg.png

I literally linked to that fan edit in my response to him but clearly he didn't get it.

No worries, I've seen you link the above pic a few times before so I wasn't entirely sure if you were confused about it or not. Thought I should clarify just in case.

Edited by algroth

DVY5gDK.png

Portrait_Ydwin_lg.png

No worries, I've seen you link the above pic a few times before so I wasn't entirely sure if you were confused about it or not. Thought I should clarify just in case.

Ok, no worries

Yeah I feel bad for women (or people who wanted a male romance, whatever your gender) players in BG2, the options are... not great.

Well I played a female and I thought the Anomen romance was fine. I have certainly seen worse romances since then. Besides, now there are a ton of obnoxious romances you can mod in if you want something else. I think Beamdog even put them in their new edition. 

I mean if you were a man you had to romance an elf and I can think of few worse fates.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

No, not Madeline. I'll tell you but it's just between you and me.

Here's what happened: I'd been seeing Quina on and off all game but I'm an adventurer right? So I help out the guy with the store. Why not? Turns out the dragon didn't notice Quina that much and thought I must be dating the dude from the store. So what am I going to do? Not save him?

We had a good talk after the big fight and worked everything out. He watched my house while I was adventuring and I kept the discount. Good guy.

Making it clear what you are going for is a very good idea. For example, the dragon in Dragaon's Dogma can leap to a possibly awkward conclusion about who you care about most if you've been friendly to a merchant. :down::facepalm: Excellent game but maintain your reserve.

Haha, you mean Madeleine?   :brows:

Well I played a female and I thought the Anomen romance was fine. I have certainly seen worse romances since then. Besides, now there are a ton of obnoxious romances you can mod in if you want something else. I think Beamdog even put them in their new edition. 

I mean if you were a man you had to romance an elf and I can think of few worse fates.

> I can think of few worse fates.

You take that back! =)

Here's what happened: I'd been seeing Quina on and off all game but I'm an adventurer right? So I help out the guy with the store. Why not? Turns out the dragon didn't notice Quina that much and thought I must be dating the dude from the store. So what am I going to do? Not save him?

We had a good talk after the big fight and worked everything out. He watched my house while I was adventuring and I kept the discount. Good guy.

Making it clear what you are going for is a very good idea. For example, the dragon in Dragaon's Dogma can leap to a possibly awkward conclusion about who you care about most if you've been friendly to a merchant. :down::facepalm: Excellent game but maintain your reserve.

Well that's awkward.

True; but eventually Quina did move in and then it was more like having an uncle who owns a store and visits. A lot. But I did save his life. It's kind of touching really.

Well that's awkward.

Edited by playerone

The Anomen romance was half my sister is dead, and half oh by the way you remind of my sister :blink:

Don't worry boys there will be a love interest for you. If it makes you feel better about the equality Eder just went up a level in racist so yay?

The Anomen romance was half my sister is dead, and half oh by the way you remind of my sister :blink:

Don't worry boys there will be a love interest for you. If it makes you feel better about the equality Eder just went up a level in racist so yay?

> Don't worry boys there will be a love interest for you.

Who are you talking to, exactly?

I feel like romancing Maia in my first play through(if she can be romanced). I'd argue that when it comes to romance, being straight male was never a disadvantage in almost any game, not even in Bioware games.

Straight male tends to  have the best looking lady as romance interest and almost always has more potential love interest comparing to others. Which is understandable since most of the players is straight male.

Seriously, most of the time the game was writing with the mindset of having a straight male as protagonist, even when you can choose your gender.

> not even in Bioware games

> Straight male tends to  have the best looking lady as romance interest and almost always has more potential love interest comparing to others.

>  most of the time the game was writing with the mindset of having a straight male as protagonist

Clearly you haven't played any of the recent Bioware games.

I'd definitely agree that this is the case for the Baldur's Gate series, though.

If you change a portrait, you won't change a 3d model, which is set in stone and is even more detailed than in PoE1. It is not BG with a bunch of colored sprites. Most of the time you see your party on the map in good 3d, and things like Maia's size or Xoti's overall "latina" type will be there. Setting pale elf portrait to a char, who obviously has black hair and brown skin is strange and only breaks the immersion.

My view of companions at this point is not based on supposition, all this facts have been stated by devs. Xoti will be religious, and it will cause conflicts inside the party, and it was stated by Sawyer multiple times, etc.

There was a huge movement to add Ydwin as a companion, there is a huge thread here and it was even a goal for $5M kickstarter goal. The main motivation of people asking to add her was interest in such type of female character, not just a strange urge to have one more companion.

About Xoti, a human girl, being statistically more attractive to a human male (average player) - it is basic psychology. People feel more attracted towards people, not aliens or strange creatures. We may go for exotic, but are still programmed to get attracted to our kind. This works even on the level of human races, when in most cases a partner is usually found among the same race. 

> If you change a portrait, you won't change a 3d model, which is set in stone and is even more detailed than in PoE1

That's true but for the majority of the characters this won't make a huge difference.  You can pick a portrait that's reasonably similar to the character's in-game model.  Maia is an exception since she is green-skinned race, but there are some Aumaua portraits on the net and you could also look for Half-Orc portraits, they might fit.  As for Xoti, are you seriously telling me you can't find a decent-looking latina portrait if you look online?

Hell, this is another area where girls have it worse because it's much easier to find very attractive female portraits online than it is to find male ones.

> Setting pale elf portrait to a char, who obviously has black hair and brown skin is strange and only breaks the immersion.

Congrats, you spotted the problem with a portrait I grabbed off my hard drive in a matter of seconds.  It was merely an example.

> The main motivation of people asking to add her was interest in such type of female character

What's your point?  This doesn't seem relevant at all the discussion.  We're discussing how character aesthetics affects your enjoyment of the game, and I'm pointing out that with a very small amount of work you can customize your NPCs quite a lot.

> About Xoti, a human girl, being statistically more attractive to a human male (average player) - it is basic psychology. People feel more attracted towards people, not aliens or strange creatures. We may go for exotic, but are still programmed to get attracted to our kind. This works even on the level of human races, when in most cases a partner is usually found among the same race. 

I agree with this, maybe you were responding to someone else?  Not quite sure I see the relevance here.

In ME:A, Bioware's latest game, a straight male can romance three different characters, all of them are companions who has more content and better made cut scenes comparing to the other non-companion romance(seriously, I had zero idea why they spend so much resource on making that Cora sex scene instead of polishing the game), plus two flings, one of them is straight male only. That's more than any other sexual orientation.

I'll say in DA:I a straight female is better when it comes to romance, not only they have more choices(if you choose to be human or elf), but they also have better content(only because they can romance Solas). But that's probably the only exception.

Edited by jf8350143

I feel like romancing Maia in my first play through(if she can be romanced). I'd argue that when it comes to romance, being straight male was never a disadvantage in almost any game, not even in Bioware games.

Straight male tends to have the best looking lady as romance interest and almost always has more potential love interest comparing to others. Which is understandable since most of the players is straight male.

Seriously, most of the time the game was writing with the mindset of having a straight male as protagonist, even when you can choose your gender.

> not even in Bioware games

> Straight male tends to have the best looking lady as romance interest and almost always has more potential love interest comparing to others.

> most of the time the game was writing with the mindset of having a straight male as protagonist

Clearly you haven't played any of the recent Bioware games.

I'd definitely agree that this is the case for the Baldur's Gate series, though.

If you change a portrait, you won't change a 3d model, which is set in stone and is even more detailed than in PoE1. It is not BG with a bunch of colored sprites. Most of the time you see your party on the map in good 3d, and things like Maia's size or Xoti's overall "latina" type will be there. Setting pale elf portrait to a char, who obviously has black hair and brown skin is strange and only breaks the immersion.

My view of companions at this point is not based on supposition, all this facts have been stated by devs. Xoti will be religious, and it will cause conflicts inside the party, and it was stated by Sawyer multiple times, etc.

There was a huge movement to add Ydwin as a companion, there is a huge thread here and it was even a goal for $5M kickstarter goal. The main motivation of people asking to add her was interest in such type of female character, not just a strange urge to have one more companion.

About Xoti, a human girl, being statistically more attractive to a human male (average player) - it is basic psychology. People feel more attracted towards people, not aliens or strange creatures. We may go for exotic, but are still programmed to get attracted to our kind. This works even on the level of human races, when in most cases a partner is usually found among the same race.

> If you change a portrait, you won't change a 3d model, which is set in stone and is even more detailed than in PoE1

That's true but for the majority of the characters this won't make a huge difference. You can pick a portrait that's reasonably similar to the character's in-game model. Maia is an exception since she is green-skinned race, but there are some Aumaua portraits on the net and you could also look for Half-Orc portraits, they might fit. As for Xoti, are you seriously telling me you can't find a decent-looking latina portrait if you look online?

Hell, this is another area where girls have it worse because it's much easier to find very attractive female portraits online than it is to find male ones.

> Setting pale elf portrait to a char, who obviously has black hair and brown skin is strange and only breaks the immersion.

Congrats, you spotted the problem with a portrait I grabbed off my hard drive in a matter of seconds. It was merely an example.

> The main motivation of people asking to add her was interest in such type of female character

What's your point? This doesn't seem relevant at all the discussion. We're discussing how character aesthetics affects your enjoyment of the game, and I'm pointing out that with a very small amount of work you can customize your NPCs quite a lot.

> About Xoti, a human girl, being statistically more attractive to a human male (average player) - it is basic psychology. People feel more attracted towards people, not aliens or strange creatures. We may go for exotic, but are still programmed to get attracted to our kind. This works even on the level of human races, when in most cases a partner is usually found among the same race.

I agree with this, maybe you were responding to someone else? Not quite sure I see the relevance here.

In ME:A, Bioware's latest game, a straight male can romance three different characters, all of them are companions who has more content and better made cut scenes comparing to the other non-companion romance(seriously, I had zero idea why they spend so much resource on making that Cora sex scene instead of polishing the game), plus two flings, one of them is straight male only. That's more than any other sexual orientation.

I'll say in DA:I a straight female is better when it comes to romance, not only they have more choices(if you choose to be human or elf), but they also have better content(only because they can romance Solas). But that's probably the only exception.

I mean as far as I'm concerned ME:A doesn't exist, but yeah, ok

Well that is just a lie. There was also his struggle with his father and wanting to become a knight and so forth. And he can fall and become sort of messed up, that was fun. The part you are referencing was only part of the plot in chapter 2, hardly two halves of the entire thing.

Don't worry boys there will be a love interest for you.

Have you read any of my posts on this subject? Because this makes no sense if you have. In any case my main character is both female and married so she already has a love interest.

If it makes you feel better about the equality Eder just went up a level in racist so yay?

I don't think I said anything about equality. Eder means well he was just raised in another culture. Also I am not sure what you are referring to in how he leveled up.

Edited by Valmy

In reply to the comment which reads "You're born a ginger just like you'reborn a homosexual. You can't pretend"

Nonsense.

You're not "born" heterosexual or homosexual. It's a choice, always has been. You can literally switch anytime you so please (unless you do not believe in Free Will but that would just be silly). To the person making a switch, they may be confused about these "new" feelings but that doesn't make them any less real the ground they walk on.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Kind of case in point right here for why I am hoping Obsidian does not do the romance thing, at least not like Bioware does. The score card for which gender/sexual orientation gets what is a very divisive thing. I mean just saying I enjoyed the Anomen romance got me attacked. And so then there is pressure to make sure everybody gets multiple good choices which is enormously burdensome.

So we have a combination of a feature that is both a source of enormous controversy and a resource hog and includes creating massive amounts of content most of us will never see unless we play through several times (unlikely for a game that is likely to take 100+ hours for many of us). If Obsidian had the resources of Bioware the gains might be worth those costs but they don't. So I hope however they handle the NPC relationship thing it is in a different way. ALL ROMANCES END IN PAIN. I don't know.

Edited by Valmy

You're not "born" heterosexual or homosexual. It's a choice, always has been. You can literally switch anytime you so please (unless you do not believe in Free Will but that would just be silly).

At no point during my life did I wake up one morning and think "I have decided to be sexually attracted to men."  Nor could I decide to be attracted to women if I wanted to. (In my increasingly distant youth I kissed a few girls because they wanted to kiss me and I wanted to give them a fair shot, but unlike Katy Perry I did not like it.) People can choose how to act on their feelings, but not which feelings they have. I assume this is how it works for most people, straight or gay or bi or whatever.

• Like 8

In reply to the comment which reads "You're born a ginger just like you'reborn a homosexual. You can't pretend"

Nonsense.

You're not "born" heterosexual or homosexual. It's a choice, always has been. You can literally switch anytime you so please (unless you do not believe in Free Will but that would just be silly). To the person making a switch, they may be confused about these "new" feelings but that doesn't make them any less real the ground they walk on.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

You're not "born" heterosexual or homosexual. It's a choice, always has been. You can literally switch anytime you so please (unless you do not believe in Free Will but that would just be silly).

At no point during my life did I wake up one morning and think "I have decided to be sexually attracted to men." Nor could I decide to be attracted to women if I wanted to. (In my increasingly distant youth I kissed a few girls because they wanted to kiss me and I wanted to give them a fair shot, but unlike Katy Perry I did not like it.) People can choose how to act on their feelings, but not which feelings they have. I assume this is how it works for most people, straight or gay or bi or whatever.

I'm sorry but I can't accept the fact that somebody was "born" with a biased mindset or sexual preference. Feelings of attraction do not form while you were in your mother's womb or even when you're learning to speak. Rather happens overtime as you develop relationships, and discover things. We may not remember exactly when you developed those feelings but we certainly were not born with those feelings, it's not until we have our first crush in which we even start to experiment with feelings/thoughts to which gender we are attracted to ad by that point we've been influenced by something or someone (parents, tv, ect) that has fed our subconscious info and we impulsively choose to follow those desires for ourselves. At the age in which we form our first crush, it doesn't "just happen" we make the choice to who we have a crush on, bo different than who we choose to make friends with.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this though, perhaps there is some study of babies showing signs of sexual preference that I don't know about. It would be uber-scary but also interesting.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...