Disliking Witcher 3... that is interesting. And ok.

There are games which are technically great, just dont work for us. And Witcher 3 is technically great since it is so big, quest are not obvious, there are fun sideelements (Gwent, Horse Riding, Boat, Beard simulator). And combat is interactive and dynamic, and have some depth.

Witcher 2 is smaller but combat was already interesting, and it has some moments.

Not going to force anyone to play or praise it.

I'd argue the Witcher 3 isn't technically great either, but awful from outer crust to inner core. But you know, opinions and buttholes.

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

On the outside, the witcher games seem like they're perfect, I should like them, they should be my favorite games. Yet I detest them all, and never was able to finish any of them. Never even progressed much beyond the beginning before I lost interest to be honest. I think Gromnir got it right, that game is full of that juvenile self-righteousness and wannabe-mature content.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I guess,I could have thought a better thread title. in my defense, I'm typing from a very crappy phone keyboard in a country with a terrible internet connection. writing anything at all is a chore. let alone writing something good. I guess I can edit it once I get a near a laptop.

I liked the Witcher 3 a lot. Like I've come to hate this obsession with open world kinda games because you end up with games like Dragon Age Inquisition that has several massive areas with almost nothing in them. Witcher 3 did it right tho, there are all kinds of things to do in every area and a lot of that content has writing, unique characters, choices and different outcomes. Sure there is a bunch of treasure hunting and other throwaway stuff to but you really don't need to do any of it and it's not there instead of actually interesting content it's an addition. 

It also didn't result in a main quest that feels short and underdeveloped, like it was sacrificed for the open world. 

I also liked the characters for the most part, they were well rounded with likeable and unlikable traits. To be fair Triss does come off as a bit of "written to be your girlfriend" type of character and I felt like the game was pushing me to romance her more than it did for Yen, who I prefer as a character. The relationships between characters was believable to, I really like the way they show emotion in a character like Geralt who literally can't express emotion. It was subtle but it was there. 

Then there is Gwent which may be my favorite minigame ever. 

It's not my favourite game, it has plenty of problems. The combat is meh, a lot of the writing does fall into tired old cliches, the main antagonist faction is just completely uninteresting but some of the smaller antagonists who you spend more time dealing with are more interesting so that sort of made up for it a bit. 

Still I think it deserves most of the praise it gets and I would rather this game be the standard for these big open world type games than like Skyrim or Fallout 4. 

• Like 4

You know, I don't know why I don't see more of the anti-PC romance people complaining about Gjefa. You know, the sex worker from the Salty Mast who, if you have 19 CON or higher, will be so impressed with your performance that she'll quit her job and move into your quarters at Caed Nua to have sex with you as much as you want for free for the rest of her life.

Does this work if Watcher is female? :w00t:

Edited by SkaenTemple

My girlfriend doesn't like games... She is jealous! What should I do guys?!

Into the blood pool with her! Gain stats, no nagging. Win win

You think your girlfriend is jealous? Mine didn't speak to me for the entire day because she found my comment towards Xoti.

• Like 6

TheisEjsing, on 02 Mar 2017 - 1:25 PM, said:

Into the blood pool with her! Gain stats, no nagging. Win win

Build a fire and sing some songs. 8)

She says I don't love her. Says that I don't spend much time with her. And that I only care about games. But she doesn't understand that it's just fun. Sad.  :(

She says I don't love her. Says that I don't spend much time with her. And that I only care about games. But she doesn't understand that it's just fun. Sad.  :(

Game over, man. Game... over!

Buy her some flowers. Listen to her blather.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They only commented on women. What about men?

Aloth FTW. I'd romance the hell out of him. And Yselmir.

Eder is okay-looking, and his love for pet is very endearing.

As for the blue guy... Err... I'm not into body hair. At least, not THAT much body hair.

Also, I don't really get why liking Xoti should depend on one's location, as I'm Western-European as one can be and find her very pretty. (Not as much as Pallegina though.)

• Like 2

Game over, man. Game... over!

Buy her some flowers. Listen to her blather.

I don't understand her... They are only women in drawings! But I'll follow your advice. Thanks!

You know, I don't know why I don't see more of the anti-PC romance people complaining about Gjefa. You know, the sex worker from the Salty Mast who, if you have 19 CON or higher, will be so impressed with your performance that she'll quit her job and move into your quarters at Caed Nua to have sex with you as much as you want for free for the rest of her life.

Does this work if Watcher is female? :w00t:

Yes. None of the sex workers acknowledge your gender at all.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Is gravedigging frowned upon? Just need a topic to discuss romance.

Josh Sawyer wrote on tumblr, "Some of those will be romantic in nature, but certainly not all of them." So there are limitations of some kind or another.

4 males (Edér, Aloth, Serafen and Tekēhu) and 3 females (Pallegina, Maia Rua and Xoti) with Ydwin being another female if the 5 million strech goal is hit.

Edér has referenced sex with a woman in banter with Hiravias at least. Hiravias asked Aloth about a requested ride on his Spiritform. Panicked Aloth said Iselmyr requested it. Because of Iselmyr, being more or less two-spirited, and the cowardly elf personality, I'd honestly prefer Aloth was not a same-sex option. Since he was (and therefore might again be) written by Carrie Patel just like our blue lesbian Maneha, I guess he'd be a prime candidate. As attractive as Edér is, I think both he and Aloth might possibly wander into retcon terrority seeing how neither of them really indicated any same-sex attraction in the first game.

Sadly not much data on romances in games has been published. Anecdotal evidence and online surveys of Bioware fans as well Bioware's prioritization of content tells us human looking options are generally speaking the most popular. Certainly leading female companions like Morrigan or Miranda are the most popular for straight male characters. I'm not sure how much their skimpy outfits, personalities and alternative options play into this. Aliens are more popular for straight female characters. I don't think there has even been an unattractive female love interest at all. Still humans or almost humans are probably considered safest. Would Serafen and Tekēhu perhaps too much anthro or furry?