sorry if I am starting a controversial topic. my idea is not to get a flame war started, but I am interested in knowing what is obsidian position to companion sexuality. I would personally like if it was independent of. the player's choice in character. that is a companion will be attracted to a given gender and race regardless of who the player choose as a main character.

also I've notice that many of the female companions are not really conventionally atractive. pallegina being the exception, but with a very unattractive personality. perhaps a more conventionally attractive female character would be aappropriate for our mostly male player base.

• Like 1

Hey Aleh. I will get in before this thread devolves into a flame war.

We're not even 100% sure that conventional romance is in the game. All it said in the backer update is "As far as where the relationships can lead, companions may develop strong feelings of camaraderie, loyalty, loathing, fear, contempt, or even love". Sounds to me like it will be very light, so there won't be any need for a character to do a "sexuality flip" based on the player character.

Moving onto the next question, yeah, there were no great lookers in PoE1. Would having a few babes on the team make the player base happy? Maybe. In PoE2, I would say that both Xoti and Ydwin are quite attractive. But considering how strongly everyone reacted to Ydwin's concept art, poor Obsidian has to be very careful.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Moving onto the next question, yeah, there were no great lookers in PoE1.

Heh, I disagree.  :p  Grieving Mother is a milf, and I think Sagani is kind of cute for a Dwarf woman.

also I've notice that many of the female companions are not really conventionally atractive.

Maybe Xoti doesn't fit what the European call conventionally attractive, but she would be considered conventionally attractive where I come from (New Mexico).  Ywdin pretty attractive as well....just look at some of the comments about her on this board.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

sorry if I am starting a controversial topic. my idea is not to get a flame war started, but I am interested in knowing what is obsidian position to companion sexuality. I would personally like if it was independent of. the player's choice in character. that is a companion will be attracted to a given gender and race regardless of who the player choose as a main character.

also I've notice that many of the female companions are not really conventionally atractive. pallegina being the exception, but with a very unattractive personality. perhaps a more conventionally attractive female character would be aappropriate for our mostly male player base.

I don't think that's what OE is going for. They're going for interesting complex characters. Not hot damsels with a ladyboner for the pc. I heard Bioware has a new game coming out, that will probably tickle your fancy. 

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 15

I don't think that's what OE is going for. They're going for interesting complex characters. Not hot damsels with a ladyboner for the pc. I heard Bioware has a new game coming out, that will probably tickle your fancy. 

Yeah, this kinda thing alwayas annoys the heck out of me. People complain about LGBT romances as "pandering", but then ask for the romance options to pander to them instead. It's like the Cassandra debacle from DAi all over again

• Like 15

Hey Aleh. I will get in before this thread devolves into a flame war.

We're not even 100% sure that conventional romance is in the game. All it said in the backer update is "As far as where the relationships can lead, companions may develop strong feelings of camaraderie, loyalty, loathing, fear, contempt, or even love". Sounds to me like it will be very light, so there won't be any need for a character to do a "sexuality flip" based on the player character.

Moving onto the next question, yeah, there were no great lookers in PoE1. Would having a few babes on the team make the player base happy? Maybe. In PoE2, I would say that both Xoti and Ydwin are quite attractive. But considering how strongly everyone reacted to Ydwin's concept art, poor Obsidian has to be very careful.

Agreed with all but one thing: I think Pallegina and Edér are most definitely lookers. That said I do agree that each character should perhaps have their own boundaries for 'romance' as it'll allow a less generalized and pandering approach to romantic interactions and the likes - doesn't mean that your character won't be able to create a deep bond with the others that doesn't involve any sexual interest or physical attraction if the conditions aren't met either.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

They should write in lots of torrid romance and steamy hot sex... but only between NPCs. PC would be all by his little self in the big captain's cabin on the Defiant, while the rest of the gang gets it on belowdecks.

The reaction would be epic.

• Like 26

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You know, I don't know why I don't see more of the anti-PC romance people complaining about Gjefa. You know, the sex worker from the Salty Mast who, if you have 19 CON or higher, will be so impressed with your performance that she'll quit her job and move into your quarters at Caed Nua to have sex with you as much as you want for free for the rest of her life.

• Like 7

You know, I don't know why I don't see more of the anti-PC romance people complaining about Gjefa. You know, the sex worker from the Salty Mast who, if you have 19 CON or higher, will be so impressed with your performance that she'll quit her job and move into your quarters at Caed Nua to have sex with you as much as you want for free for the rest of her life.

Nah, they love that stuff. Makes em feel big

• Like 1

What!? Is that true? People don't complain becaues they don't know!!

I mean, hookers are kind of a waste of money in RPGs, so who actually tests this stuff?

• Like 3

What!? Is that true? People don't complain becaues they don't know!!

I mean, hookers are kind of a waste of money in RPGs, so who actually tests this stuff?

http://i.imgur.com/BatxdgU.jpg

I hope you can save Gjefa at the start of Deadfire, if you recruited her. She deserves better.

Edited by Micamo
  • Like 2

hooameye,

I guess you could say I am asking for some pandering, but I don't remember ever complaining about lgbt companions or relationships. in fact that's exactly the kind of accusations I wanted to avoid. let's not turn this topic in to a flame war please.

Nah, not saying ya did. Just noting how a ****ton of people on the internet do. Freakin annoying is what it is. My advice, and to everyone else really, is that we have next to zero information on the subject, so the best we can do is wait and see. Obsidian knows that a ton of their fans are curious about this topic, so something will come out sooner or later. 

• Like 1

They should write in lots of torrid romance and steamy hot sex... but only between NPCs. PC would be all by his little self in the big captain's cabin on the Defiant, while the rest of the gang gets it on belowdecks.

The reaction would be epic.

This. AND have NPCs tease the PC for his failure to get in on the action.

• Like 5

Oh, since I failed to address this in my previous posts:

List of attractive female companions in PoE1: Iselmyr, Sagani, Grieving Mother, Pallegina, Maneha, Devil of Caroc

List of attractive female companions in Deadfire: Iselmyr, Pallegina, Maia, Xoti, Ydmir(?)

You might be asking "Hey, isn't that the list of all the female companions?" And the answer is YES EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM IS ATTRACTIVE WHAT THE ****ING HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

• Like 10

Oh, since I failed to address this in my previous posts:

List of attractive female companions in PoE1: Iselmyr, Sagani, Grieving Mother, Pallegina, Maneha, Devil of Caroc

List of attractive female companions in Deadfire: Iselmyr, Pallegina, Maia, Xoti, Ydmir(?)

You might be asking "Hey, isn't that the list of all the female companions?" And the answer is YES EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM IS ATTRACTIVE WHAT THE ****ING HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg

• Like 1

Except for Sagani. Sagani belongs into a certain pool.

Blood for the blood god!

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Wow nice catch. I love it. Never have seen 19 con in my life. Max Might all the way!

It is idea: Have a NPC whose only purpose is to make love over and over again. Not one of big 8 or adventurer. So nobody will complain "you destroy Ydwin with romance option yadayada". And that character could even be really fascinated with Watcher and be all Visas Marr on us (My life is yours).

Player sexuality: i dont like it in cRPG since i view characters as something independent and just being the way they are. Gay is ok. Bisex is double ok. AS sure. I am fine with companion being interested with everyone but watcher, he has rules dont date boss.

I strongly disagree with critique of Companion attractivness.

Pallegina has very exotic beaty a bit of Negro style. She is more focused on her duty, but many ppl are (actually it is popular archetype). Xoti is hotti. My Watcher want to feel strong arms of Maia around him/her. I want to see all fancy outfits of Ydwin. Sagani is cute, married thou. Mother needs some stylist but we can work with it. Devil i miss an option to reforge her all white with all that ingots.

And Eder, well, female watcher want to cast on him: bindging web, hypersensivity and emotion link. And then make him feel good. 

Except for Sagani. Sagani belongs into a certain pool.

Blood for the blood god!

Wtf dude (@_@)

Sagani is on par with Eder as the most mellow

• Like 2

Agreed, Sagani is super chill. Not to mention married with five kids, you bunch of homewreckers on page 1! Anyone trying to either sacrifice her, or make a pass at her, deserves a Takedown by Itumaak followed by a Wounding Shot to their crotch.

As for the OP -- If I understand your first paragraph correctly, you want companions to have a "type" or certain characteristics / behavior that they are attracted to, instead of just bunking up with anyone and everyone Mass Effect-style? I agree and I believe that is a big part of what the relationship system will do, with the big difference compared to your usual CRPG relationships being that they are not limited to just being romantic / sexual. Which will be great.

I strongly disagree with your second paragraph -- companions should never be designed as "conventionally attractive" just for the sake of pleasing an imagined part of the player base. When you go down that road you're only a few turns away from BioWare-like ego-stroking shenanigans, and that's the last thing I want in my Obsidian games. Look -- in real life, beauty isn't only skin deep, and relationships succeed and fail based so many more factors than just appearance. Relationships are complicated and that is exactly why (from what I've read) Obsidian haven't really attempted them before. Because they feel the way they have been done in other CRPG's up to this point doesn't fit their style. And I agree. This system has a lot of potential though, and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Edited by Lorfean
  • Like 11

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Why on earth would anyone complain about that?

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.