2. Replay the quest in POE1 in specific order and complete the game. I've a seen post in another thread claiming that the flag isn't triggering because the quest is not completed in correct order. Apparently the correct order is to take the baby first and then kill the evil dude, not the other way around.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a way to tell whether you've done the quest "correctly" in an end-game save - perhaps by the order of quest updates in the journal. I'll have to mess around with that tonight.

Come on man, isn't it obvious? It's the chance to have a child in the game. How cool is that? Being responsible for a kid, whether you're acting like their parent or their older sibling or just their guardian, is unlike any other thing we can do in this game.

But... you aren't being responsible.  You're dragging it off into danger, away from home, where it will likely die.   Selling it as a slave or sacrifice would also be like any other thing you could do in the game, and I can think of much worse and less appropriate 'unique' things that would be different for the sake of difference.

@Fiaryn- Great, I got that.  I'm asking what the appeal of the characterization of 'child thief' is and why RPing child endangerment is being portrayed as a positive.   Like you're a god of war or something...

Edited by Voss

Come on man, isn't it obvious? It's the chance to have a child in the game. How cool is that? Being responsible for a kid, whether you're acting like their parent or their older sibling or just their guardian, is unlike any other thing we can do in this game.

But... you aren't being responsible.  You're dragging it off into danger, away from home, where it will likely die.   Selling it as a slave or sacrifice would also be like any other thing you could do in the game, and I can think of much worse and less appropriate 'unique' things that would be different for the sake of difference.

@Fiaryn- Great, I got that.  I'm asking what the appeal of the characterization of 'child thief' is and why RPing child endangerment is being portrayed as a positive.   Like you're a god of war or something...

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but human beings do not always act in a way to produce 100% ethically utilitarian outcomes beep boop ;)

They act on emotional impulses, cultural biases, they rationalize said impulses after the fact and then try to make the best of it. Roleplaying does not begin and end with finding a way to play a character who does the "Right" thing in all circumstances.

For example, did you know that a lot of medieval and classical era military leaders led from the front despite that being a dumbassed thing to do by any practical, objective measure? Crazy, I know.

• Like 4

Guest FireGodLike

I'm a bit curious! I got rid of that Simoc guy, but I didn't take Vela! Now I read from that bug, when importing the savegame, where she doesn't appear. But if I didn't take her, she won't appear in Deadfire at all? Did I get that right?

For a second time I could choose that option, when I change the game states for PoE1?

didn't import for me so I just used the history creator thing. Hopefully I am not missing much doing that.

From one interview JSawyer mentioned you aren't missing too much by not importing. He said he doesn't like folks missing out on content like that.

With this and the fact that Eder doesn't have the proper choice either I went ahead and did the same.

• Like 1

Nope, she's fou

I am suspecting she isn't in my import either, because I am now at the "head to neketaka" stage and haven't seen her.  This bug seriously blows.

She's found on the first beach when you're collecting your crew after the crash.

If you import your save from  PoE 1 she will not appear. She only shows up if you create a backstory (I'm sure some of the Obsidian made ones have her too, but I'm not going to check all of them).

didn't import for me so I just used the history creator thing. Hopefully I am not missing much doing that.

From one interview JSawyer mentioned you aren't missing too much by not importing. He said he doesn't like folks missing out on content like that.

With this and the fact that Eder doesn't have the proper choice either I went ahead and did the same.

Annoyingly both seem to be bugged, Eder's ending is wrong either way. There was also a specific reference to the blood legacy quest and that imported wrong too even when I just used the create a history option.

Obviously there is nothing wrong in bringing a child to the Deadfire because... Wait.

Vela.png

sign.jpg

• 1 month later...

So what are the consequences for taking the baby Vela to Sun and Shadow? I was thinking some soul would have hitched a ride in her body. 

Well, after climbing down the ogre cave, fighting dragons and diving with the Eyeless, she slept during the whole act 4. Poor child was tired.

Maybe that place is really good at controlling souls and none could get a ride.

sign.jpg

So what are the consequences for taking the baby Vela to Sun and Shadow? I was thinking some soul would have hitched a ride in her body. 

So..... the consequence is you get a character named Vela on your boat.  She is a little orlan girl, and sometimes has funny dialog with certain crew/companions.  That's it.  She never comes up in the story, never involved in any questions, nothing funktastic ever happens with her.

When she does talk it is normally good stuff though.  It is just by the mid point of the game she will probably be done talking.

• Like 1

So..... the consequence is you get a character named Vela on your boat.  She is a little orlan girl, and sometimes has funny dialog with certain crew/companions.  That's it.  She never comes up in the story, never involved in any questions, nothing funktastic ever happens with her.

When she does talk it is normally good stuff though.  It is just by the mid point of the game she will probably be done talking.

This is me though is such a waste. I mean you literally kidnap and supposedly raise a child and the only development is a couple of funny lines of dialogue? Why even have you kidnap her? Just put a random young girl on the crew of the original ship and call it a day. 

Edited by PatrioticChief
  • Like 2

This is me though is such a waste. I mean you literally kidnap and supposedly raise a child and the only development is a couple of funny lines of dialogue? Why even have you kidnap her? Just put a random young girl on the crew of the original ship and call it a day. 

To keep her from being offered as a ritual sacrifice?

To keep her from being offered as a ritual sacrifice?

You did not have to kidnap her to keep her from being a ritual sacrifice. 

• Like 1

Change her dialogue how? To talk about how her adoptive family tried to murder her and you had to kill her brother who attacked you for trying to save her?

I much prefer the ale jokes. She's adorable, and minimal dialogue lets people roleplay her presence however you want. On that note, I would support an option to have her not appear if you want to play it that she died at Caed Nua or was given away for adoption.