I would have a journal/scrapbook the Watcher salvages from the ruins Cad Nua that is used to update quests and has notes that mention these decisions so they are put to rest. As for the child, I would give the child up for adoption to someone in Gilded Vale; they have been struck hard by the hollowborn sickness and a new child would help the community.

What? No way. I'm a feudal *Godlike* lord (who may be on the market for a new fiefdom, but still). I need a god damn heir.

And I'm just a merchant from the White That Wends aaaaaaand my plan is to get married with a godlike so yeah, we still need a child. And I would never ever give this sweet orlan baby to anyone else. It'zzzzzz mine. :3

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ommigosh that portrait - https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Vela

Portrait_Vela_Sm.png?version=f114b1f6078

The heir to Caed Nua has the biggest ears!

Oh man, i've not seen this portrait.

Was kinda hoping to not have it spoiled.

Eh, she's too adorable for me to get mad at.

She also has a watercolor portrait, meaning she'll have some banter. 

It's cute and all, but I wonder exactly just how much banter she'll have. Will she have her own quest? And just how much content will those players who left some random baby alone in POE1 will lose? If it will be significant then it feels kinda unfair.

Ommigosh that portrait - https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Vela

Portrait_Vela_Sm.png?version=f114b1f6078

The heir to Caed Nua has the biggest ears!

Oh man, i've not seen this portrait.

Was kinda hoping to not have it spoiled.

Eh, she's too adorable for me to get mad at.

She also has a watercolor portrait, meaning she'll have some banter. 

It's cute and all, but I wonder exactly just how much banter she'll have. Will she have her own quest? And just how much content will those players who left some random baby alone in POE1 will lose? If it will be significant then it feels kinda unfair.

Haha, I did it in my second run when it was clear she might be included. I'm not really sure how many took her from her brother though, seemed a little much beyond just dealing with her would-be child murdering father.

I guess she might just join as a crew member with a couple of dialogues here and there and an ending slide, but not more than that. That or they kill her early on, in which case I shall make plans for Godhammer V2.0.

Haha, I did it in my second run when it was clear she might be included. I'm not really sure how many took her from her brother though, seemed a little much beyond just dealing with her would-be child murdering father.

Those guys weren't her family (not to mention they were elves and she's an orlan). She was given/adopted into their tribe from another tribe.

• Like 1

I could only bring myself to kidnap her on my "evil" playthrough (which, obviously, was not very evil, because I'm a huge softy). So I'll get to see her content at least once with only a small, niggling amount of guilt.

Really? Rescuing her from those backward savages is probably the least evil thing you can do in the quest!

I could only bring myself to kidnap her on my "evil" playthrough (which, obviously, was not very evil, because I'm a huge softy). So I'll get to see her content at least once with only a small, niggling amount of guilt.

Really? Rescuing her from those backward savages is probably the least evil thing you can do in the quest!

Really? With the evil dude dead she could have been a chieftain of those backward savages without any worries. Instead she got kidnapped by some crazy adventurer with no permanent home and probably no skills in baby raising whatsoever. It's all looking very shady to me, but now I guess even every paladin and "Goody Two-shoes" will go and kidnap that poor baby just to have extra content in the sequel.

Really? With the evil dude dead she could have been a chieftain of those backward savages without any worries. Instead she got kidnapped by some crazy adventurer with no permanent home and probably no skills in baby raising whatsoever. It's all looking very shady to me, but now I guess even every paladin and "Goody Two-shoes" will go and kidnap that poor baby just to have extra content in the sequel.

No permanent home? What about the "the finest fortress in all Dyrwood"? Also, the MC might not have skills in raising babies, but i definitely know someone in the party who knows way too much about babies (you just need to hope she won't mindcontrol you into taking care of the baby while you starve to death yourself, hahaha)

Besides, if one nutjob decided to make a baby-smoothie out of her, who's to say another nutjob won't get the same idea later anyway? #BabySaved

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1

No permanent home? What about the "the finest fortress in all Dyrwood"? Also, the MC might not have skills in raising babies, but i definitely know someone in the party who knows way too much about babies (you just need to hope she won't mindcontrol you into taking care of the baby while you starve to death yourself, hahaha)

Except that MC doesn't live there that much - he\she goes around dangerous places and dungeons all the time smacking baddies. Not a very healthy life for a baby when she can get roasted by a fireball or smth any time. And Grieving Mother isn't always around, especially after the ending. Just admit it - taking that baby is a stupid, spontaneous decision, no matter how much you try to justify it. And it's a criminal and morally dubious act to boot - kidnapping, murdering witnesses, destiny stealing, leaving a whole tribe without a strong chieftain.

Besides, if one nutjob decided to make a baby-smoothie out of her, who's to say another nutjob won't get the same idea later anyway? #BabySaved

Pure speculation.

• Like 1

Except that MC doesn't live there that much - he\she goes around dangerous places and dungeons all the time smacking baddies. Not a very healthy life for a baby when she can get roasted by a fireball or smth any time. And Grieving Mother isn't always around, especially after the ending. Just admit it - taking that baby is a stupid, spontaneous decision, no matter how much you try to justify it. And it's a criminal and morally dubious act to boot - kidnapping, murdering witnesses, destiny stealing, leaving a whole tribe without a strong chieftain.

Pure speculation.

Well, once you've hunted Thaos down, i see no reason why the MC would continue the whole adventurer lifestyle, seeing how he's a lord of a keep and such.

And Grieving mother (depending on your ending) ends up living in Dyrford which isn't that far away from Caed Nua, so no problems there!

Also, it might just be pure speculation, but do you really think the other Three Tusk Stalgaers (literally the most savage and brutal of all tribes) would be ok with some Fisher Crane (who are considered to be soft and weak, by other clans, if i remember Hiravias dialogue correctly) orlan girl being named as their new leader?

Also, there's the whole constant human sacrifice thing going on with the Glanfathans in their Blood sands cave, so that's a big no-no for most people, i'd say.

Edited by Juodas Varnas

Well, once you've hunted Thaos down, i see no reason why the MC would continue the whole adventurer lifestyle, seeing how he's a lord of a keep and such.

And Grieving mother (depending on your ending) ends up living in Dyrford which isn't that far away from Caed Nua, so no problems there!

Also, it might just be pure speculation, but do you really think the other Three Tusk Stalgaers (literally the most savage and brutal of all tribes) would be ok with some Fisher Crane (who are considered to be soft and weak, by other clans, if i remember Hiravias dialogue correctly) orlan girl being named as their new leader?

Also, there's the whole constant human sacrifice thing going on with the Glanfathans in their Blood sands cave, so that's a big no-no for most people, i'd say.

Sounds like a big stretch of headcanoning to justify keeping that baby.

I very much doubt that Grieving Mother would travel back and forth between Caed Nua and Dyrford just to keep after your baby. She has her own things to do after the ending. And there is no indication in the slides that anybody's looking after the baby but you. And I see no reason why you should push that responsibility onto your companions - you took it, you deal with it. Everybody in my party were against even taking it.

It was seen by the seer that the baby will be a great chieftain for that tribe so she was specifically given into adoption. I very much doubt that most of tribesmen wanted to shoot themselves in the foot by denying themselves a strong leader.  Judging by the house she was living in she was taken care of very well. The current chieftain just didn't want to move over so he got what was coming to him, there were no other evil guys after her in the game. Evil guy's son even wanted to protect her, but you killed him when you took the baby. Everything else is pure speculation. 

It was entirely selfish on my MC's part. It was one of the two arguably evil things he did in his otherwise fairly spotless benevolent/rational/honest career. He saw a chance to secure an heir and he took it. I don't think arguments that her adoptive brother deserved to die would fly, the man wanted to kill his father because he was a freaking would-be crib murder. The best moral argument I could find is that you wanted to remove the baby from the entire fight and just didn't expect a fight to the death resulting from it.

• Like 1

It was entirely selfish on my MC's part. It was one of the two arguably evil things he did in his otherwise fairly spotless benevolent/rational/honest career. He saw a chance to secure an heir and he took it. I don't think arguments that her adoptive brother deserved to die would fly, the man wanted to kill his father because he was a freaking would-be crib murder. The best moral argument I could find is that you wanted to remove the baby from the entire fight and just didn't expect a fight to the death resulting from it.

To be honest, i'm not entirely sure i even killed the guy. I might've just ran away, broke the combat and left to finish off Thaos.

Though, that's probably not something the game takes into account, right? Since i was probably SUPPOSED to kill him.

I don't think arguments that her adoptive brother deserved to die would fly, the man wanted to kill his father because he was a freaking would-be crib murder. The best moral argument I could find is that you wanted to remove the baby from the entire fight and just didn't expect a fight to the death resulting from it.

It's kinda silly that after that whole ordeal you couldn't shove the baby back to someone in the tribe. Probably guilty conscience of a criminal that prevented you to do so  :rolleyes:

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

To be honest, i'm not entirely sure i even killed the guy. I might've just ran away, broke the combat and left to finish off Thaos.

Though, that's probably not something the game takes into account, right? Since i was probably SUPPOSED to kill him.

Yea, I'm pretty sure there is no running away scenario for that guy. Did he try to attack you every time you returned to that map?

Yea, I'm pretty sure there is no running away scenario for that guy. Did he try to attack you every time you returned to that map?

I... never returned, i just left for the end-game and completed it.  :w00t:

He's probably still running there, looking for you  :p

• Like 1

He's probably still running there, looking for you  :p

At least it's good exercise.

Well, the fact that he wanted to kill his father instead of handling it another way could be a good enough reason for some people.  I find it shady that he asks a stranger to kill his father instead of going to the elders to deal with the problem. 

I can see a benevolent person who doesn't believe in assassination or execution taking the baby since that people wouldn't want the baby to be in that kind of environment.  The Glanfathans are.....brutal people.  They'll kill you for simply as getting into an argument or trespassing.  IMO, the Glanfathans are not good people, but at the same time, I understand this is their way of life.  This is from my perspective though, so I'm not saying my opinion is fact.  :p

I never take the baby though.  I'm not a fan of kidnapping, even though I think both Liras and SImoc are bad people.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

Well, the fact that he wanted to kill his father instead of handling it another way could be a good enough reason for some people.  I find it shady that he asks a stranger to kill his father instead of going to the elders to deal with the problem. 

I can see a benevolent person who doesn't believe in assassination or execution taking the baby since that people wouldn't want the baby to be in that kind of environment.  The Glanfathans are.....brutal people.  They'll kill you for simply as getting into an argument or trespassing.

I never take the baby though.  I'm not a fan of kidnapping, even though I think both Liras and SImoc are bad people.

I didn't see anything shady there. It was all explained in the game - the evil guy couldn't kidnap the baby himself because he's a public figure and can't go around town kidnapping babies without getting noticed, so he needs a stranger for the job so that the evidence won't point to him or his tribe.

His son wants to kill him because he doesn't want the future chieftain to be killed and can't allow such an evil act as baby murder to happen (probably being a softie in a harsh tribe what made him unsuitable for the next chieftain role), in his dialogues he sounded sincere enough. He probably didn't go to the authorities because there was no hard evidence, no evil deed was done yet.

Of course, you can try to justify taking the baby by speculating that somebody in the tribe will still want to sacrifice her eventually, but since nothing pointed to that in the game other than that tribe's reputation I'd say it's a weak point. And I doubt that such things as baby sacrifices were a common thing in that tribe otherwise the other tribe wouldn't have entrusted them the baby for adoption.

Anyway, I'm hoping devs came up with some awkward/cringeworty banter with Vela where MC is trying to explain why she was kidnapped so that I can laugh my ass off. 

Edited by Aramintai

Anyway, I'm hoping devs came up with some awkward/cringeworty banter with Vela where MC is trying to explain why she was kidnapped so that I can laugh my ass off. 

Here's hoping the most important feature from Tyranny will make an appearance:

[Glare silently] ಠ_ಠ

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 7

Honestly.. all those options sound like a lot of writing and resources towards one of possible end results of a quest that is not even main path related and can be easily omitted.

So.. tons of rubble on the head of 5 years old it is.

I'm trying to justify kidnapping her on one of my playthroughs simply to see the banter in Deadfire, and I just can't. I guess I could think of some... pretty ridiculous... reasons to take her from her adopted brother, like "He probably only wants her strong soul for himself", or "Glanfathans are crazy, she's better off with me", or "Can't have my own kids 'cause godlike, imma kidnap the orlan", or something. But I fail each time because after kidnapping her the MC also takes her to Sun in Shadow to fight Thaos. Like... wut? They set off on what may very well be a one way trip, not knowing if they are even going to survive the jump, and they take an infant with them? Couldn't even be bothered to leave her in safety at Caed Nua? 10/10 responsible parent, would totally let them adopt a child. 

• Like 1