Which new sidekick will replace anime girl?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Whom would you like the most?

• another boring human
    • intelligent monster/animal
    • soul into vessel
    • the representative of wild race
    • sexy chibilike pirate-dwarf
    • your answer

A female orlan or dwarf would be an interesting addition that provided some racial balance while reflecting races common in the Deadfire Archipelago. It sounds like dwarves, orlans, and aumaua are all common in the region. We'll be meeting two aumaua companions, one orlan one, and a dwarven sidekick. Another sidekick from one of those races might round things out a bit.

I'm kind of opposed to sentient monster content, because I think that as with Ydwin, people will just become upset that the sidekick can't be a full-fledged companion. Sometimes the exotic stuff works better for me in expansion anyway.

Class wise I would like to see a paladin from an Order other than Pallegina's, or a Priest of one of the less in your face gods.  Like Wael or something.  A character that is less "wacky" and more legitimately of questionable character without also being a blatant dbag in general like Durance.

A priest of Berath (or Abydon, if allowed) / Goldpact Knight could be an interesting set of options for a religiously inclined character. Since the "subclasses" for those two classes have a philosophical component, I'd be interested in seeing some additional companion or sidekick options too.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a more city-centered ranger or druid (or a character who offered both options), either.

Somes lack of knowledge about Anime is really disturbing. There is so many nice animes, which are just ok even if a bit different. Gibi, Gits, a lot of old (Paprika, Akira...) some new like Your Name or Avatar legeds and more. We can also argue that western female characters are just sexhungry bombshells since that many HBO series. But what for?

There was some serious discusion about Ydwin, and at least one variant which is normal, believable, twisted, interesting and easy to party.

As for my type:

SEXY dwarven barbarian/monk with drinking problem and a lot stories to tell

More sexy ideas in skimmy outfits:

Bad Luck Skaen - Skaen priest for who everything gone wrong, very disappointed in humanity in general, and hopeless. Always salty.  Just want to survive. Also punch in the face some pomponous nobles.

Real Charmer - Valian republics Rogue/CHanter. Street thief and tavern bard, also... terrific womennizer. Probably running away from some angry husband. Could be romance interest for female watcher, but that would be 1 time quick time event, after which all Deadfire will hear the song about watcher assets.

Vithrack Spy - Vithrack (monster race) cipher, interested in earthlings as something more than delicious cousine. Traveling to learn more, like Kana but with more chitin. It is also possible that he is a spy preparing intel before final Vithrack invasion. You may never know.

Big Bad Wolf - Druid/Barbarian who cant really control his shapeshift or rage, so just swap randomly during combat. Cursed after doing something horrible. There is a rumour that only true love of stockholme syndrome captive could free him. But killing the Beast could also work. Pick one.

Monster Hunter - Wayfinder Palladin who lost faith in human sense of justice and honour. And never knows which side is tight. So he travels among frontline colonist outpost and slays monsters for the coin. Like non humanoid monster. Every world needs the witchers.

Souleater - Prime class duelist (warrior cipher) who is said to be best in the Deadfire. Probably will try to challenge Watcher on duel. Bad thing is that he swallows the souls of defeted enemies. And consumes their fighting style. making him more and more powerful. And also absorvs their memories. And personality. Basicly he is mad and lost.

Bottle Swinger - Dwarven Barbarian Monk, always in good mood, and a bit drunk. Keeps bottomless mug which can heal him in exchange to precision (hic). Very creative when it comes to throwing bombs and insults upon enemies. Knows some good warstories which may be totally made up, or belong to someone else (like 1000 years old legend). We can confront him, and soulwalk into his past memories, and remind about his real glory. He will stop drinking then.

Return of the Devil - Devil of Caroc returns, and works as part time asassin. It is best to work at somethin you love. Like murder. Or she just want to collect enought gold to settle down, start own workshop, hire some sidekicks. Dark version: Kill local kingpin and take his place. Rule underworld with iron fist and bad puns.

Babe dont hurt me - teen firegodlike, wild mage or shaman, with attached fire spirit elemental devaour of the worlds. Inmature (you dont say) and childlish. Claustrophobic, cant take orphan closure. Also easy to anger and literally explode in fire. Can vie Watcher as parent figure.

Questline: She can travel with us, and we can leave her as acolyte in some wicked mage or druid. Oddball as her.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

We need more "boring" humans to balance out the game and make the unique, wacky/zany creatures and characters more special and stand out more! It's just like in life when you need some variety, like depressing lows, to truly experience the sweetness of happiness. If the majority of characters are oddballs then they won't be very memorable because their relative oddness is marginalized.

That didn't really keep from the companions in Planescape: Torment being some of the most memorable characters in video-game history. :grin:

True, but that game had exotic and wacky characters around every corner, so the oddness was more normalized because the spectrum of oddness was insanely wide. If in Pillars 2 we are around mostly aumaua and humans and we don't get the chance to pickup at least a couple of them as eager adventurers (sidekicks), the world may end up feeling a bit contrived.

Yeah, it's why I mentioned these were pretty different contexts. In my experience weirdness attracts weirdness so perhaps it's not too strange to see a party of weird characters in an otherwise "normal" world, and so long as the rest of the game keeps these encounters in check and acknowledges the uniqueness of our situation I wouldn't have a problem with it. Just my thoughts, though.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

At the risk of sounding trite, I really don't care which sidekick would replace Ydwin if we get her as stretch goal. The reason being that I really don't see the point of sidekicks in general. Either I'm taking a companion with a full fleshed out story, quest, relationships, or I'm taking pre-rolled power characters, I don't really see the point of going something in between. But this might just be me. I dunno /shrug.

• Like 3

At the risk of sounding trite, I really don't care which sidekick would replace Ydwin if we get her as stretch goal. The reason being that I really don't see the point of sidekicks in general. Either I'm taking a companion with a full fleshed out story, quest, relationships, or I'm taking pre-rolled power characters, I don't really see the point of going something in between. But this might just be me. I dunno /shrug.

Second playthroughs with specific class builds.

Baldur's Gate.

That's all. Thank you for your attention.

• Like 2

---

We're all doomed

I think using 'standard' races is probably for the best for the first few games at least, as it helps them establish their setting better by showcasing 'typical' members of their races.  I mean, what do we actually know about Pale Elves in this setting?  Not much, so Ydwin is a good chance for us to find out more about Pale Elf society and the White that Wends in general, whether Pale Elves are primitives subsistence living down there or if there is some sort of Mountains of Madness Lovecraftian city there, since really we don't know!

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I would like a Valian of some sort. So I guess that is a boring human.

Actually Vailians include a substantial number of dwarves too, hence my desire for Pirate-Dwarf.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

None, because they're not gonna hit 5m. We'll get sea monsters and fishing and we'll be happy with it, dammit.

Though you'll be able to fish up a dwarf pirate corpse carrying an unsigned mercenary contract. Addressed to you. He had such dreams and got so close. Poor guy.

• Like 3

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Though you'll be able to fish up a dwarf pirate corpse carrying an unsigned mercenary contract. Addressed to you. He had such dreams and got so close. Poor guy.

;(

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

"Defence against the Dark Arts Emergency Centre, how can I help you?"

"I'd like to report an act of necromancy!"

"And what leads you to that suspicion?"

"Someone wants to murder an anime girl in order to resurrect a long-dead companion! He's been practicing with threads!"

"Stay calm, we're on our way."

;)

• Like 9

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!