Which new sidekick will replace anime girl?

62 members have voted

1. 1. Whom would you like the most?

• another boring human
    • intelligent monster/animal
    • soul into vessel
    • the representative of wild race
    • sexy chibilike pirate-dwarf
    • your answer

Honestly it should be another Orlan if you want balanced races.  Of the options you posted I would go with "another boring human" as all the rest are tired cliches.  Class wise I would like to see a paladin from an Order other than Pallegina's, or a Priest of one of the less in your face gods.  Like Wael or something.  A character that is less "wacky" and more legitimately of questionable character without also being a blatant dbag in general like Durance.

• Like 2

I would really like Cadegund.  It would be nice to have some Magran representation in this game since (I assume) will have the choice of fighting against Eothas.  Otherwise, give me a humanoid monster companion.  It's not a bad idea to have something different.

Even if we don't get the extra stretch goal, we should get another side kick.  The more companions we can use, the better.

• Like 5

I didn't read the whole Ydwin stretch goal, as if there would be a replacement sidekick. My understanding is that she will just be fully fleshed out, and then nothing else. I might be wrong thou.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love another sidekick, but if the goal is unlocked, we already got 8 companions and 3 sidekicks. I'd rather see OE using time on making those 11 guys as good and integrated into the game as possible. 

I'd love to see a Vithrack companion as well, though to my understanding the reason they didn't go for the weirder races was due to the extra work it'd take to try and fit custom clothing into a character that is structured very differently to the playable races, and I'd doubt they'd go through all that just to add a sidekick opposed to a full-fledged companion. I doubt we'll see it lest it becomes a stretch-goal in and of itself.

Also I think a stranger race wouldn't really work as a sidekick as it'd likely involve a lot of reactivity from the rest of the world to be made to work. A vithrack companion, for example, would likely be feared or hated by most it meets with, and would not really be able to access an inn without some odd looks and the occasional "we don't take too kindly to your type around here" sort of remark. The companion would otherwise be made to jar a little with the culture so far depicted in-game.

The idea of having Cadegund I also like quite a bit.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

We need more "boring" humans to balance out the game and make the unique, wacky/zany creatures and characters more special and stand out more! It's just like in life when you need some variety, like depressing lows, to truly experience the sweetness of happiness. If the majority of characters are oddballs then they won't be very memorable because their relative oddness is marginalized.

We need more "boring" humans to balance out the game and make the unique, wacky/zany creatures and characters more special and stand out more! It's just like in life when you need some variety, like depressing lows, to truly experience the sweetness of happiness. If the majority of characters are oddballs then they won't be very memorable because their relative oddness is marginalized.

That didn't really keep the companions in Planescape: Torment from being some of the most memorable characters in video-game history. :grin:

Different context and all though. All the same I'm not sure we've had many weird races: two godlikes and a pale elf, plus whatever the Watcher would be. All the same I think that'd be more a thing to watch out for in the whole context of the game than the party more specifically, and the way the world would react to there being stranger races amidst your companions.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

They specifically stated if Ydwin makes it in as a full companion, they'd add another sidekick.

the gods destroy by granting wishes.  ydwin will be replaced by devil of caroc.  however, devil will now be contained in the body o' an over-developed pre-teen girl wearing a sailor suit, dangerous short miniskirt and thigh hi stockings.  pink or purple hair?  she will fight with an oversized sword more appropriate as a helicopter rotor, and will constant navel gaze, reflecting 'pon the implications o' her synthetic nature and what it means to be human.  perhaps for game finale, devil will pilot a mecha and confront eothas?

don't ask for another sidekick or companion.  may find out getting what you want ain't quite what you hoped.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  if ooze is a related to companions in some way, it won't be as a new companion but mere as an accessory to ydwin, 'cause somehow cute-girl-violated-by-slime is actual a japanese fetish. go figure.

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That didn't really keep from the companions in Planescape: Torment being some of the most memorable characters in video-game history. :grin:

True, but that game had exotic and wacky characters around every corner, so the oddness was more normalized because the spectrum of oddness was insanely wide. If in Pillars 2 we are around mostly aumaua and humans and we don't get the chance to pickup at least a couple of them as eager adventurers (sidekicks), the world may end up feeling a bit contrived.