The internet?

Ben No.3

Question to OP - why is the knee-jerk reaction to ban and regulate freedom rather than trying to educate people on misinformation? I used to kneejerk that way, and I realized it's because I thought people were too dumb to educate - which is a highly cynical view for someone supposedly wanting the best for everyone and believing in the possibility of a Utopia where everyone works together.

Wow, a serious response in a thread that... well probably didn't deserve one. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Ben. He's a smart guy. But I think we all know where he was going with this. Mes nailed it in less than 1o words.

Personally I think it's a beautiful thing. At it's best it is an absolutely unlimited exchange of knowledge and ideas (unless you live in Cuba, North Korea, or China or one of the other places that limit access). And if not all of it is true or worthwhile that is no big deal. Think about it. In the five minutes I spent typing this post I could have looked up and learned nearly any fact known to the human race. I could have bought nearly anything. Many of you were not around before the internet began looking anything like it does now. Coming from the perspective of someone who was it still staggers the imagination. I never once spoke to anyone from a country other than the US until I joined the military and actually visited a country other than the US. I never heard a language other than English except on distant radio stations late at night before then. I was 18 then. No eighteen year old in most of the world can say that now. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh don't get me wrong.... I'm all in for a completely unregulated and free internet... In fact, i think companies like google and Facebook should even be made either public property or forced to split into smaller companies. Right now they hold FAR TOO MUCH power, especially for companies. And of course, NSA-style is also completely unacceptable. How that can be solved, I do not know. Regarding fake news, people simply need to be more educated. This only strengthens my demand for lifetime access to free college courses (of course, "actual" students get much better courses, but I think some level of constant public education at universities for everyone to walk in is necessary... I imagine it kinda like an almost "intellectual church" kinda deal... people go to university every Sunday, hear a philosophical or political or whatever topic, and have something to talk and think about) :p

The reason I included the proposal of censorship is to give somewhat of an antithesis to my own views. Dialectic and so on ;)

Na, i just didn't want to make the first post too opinionated.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Question to OP - why is the knee-jerk reaction to ban and regulate freedom rather than trying to educate people on misinformation? I used to kneejerk that way, and I realized it's because I thought people were too dumb to educate - which is a highly cynical view for someone supposedly wanting the best for everyone and believing in the possibility of a Utopia where everyone works together.

Still advocating for Utopia. Don't worry :p

I meant this to be a discussion about how to handle fake news. I guess it backfired. But oh well :)

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Oh don't get me wrong.... I'm all in for a completely unregulated and free internet... In fact, i think companies like google and Facebook should even be made either public property or forced to split into smaller companies.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does the word "Oxymoron" ring a bell???

As for anonymity, not really a fan of it as I think people should be held accountable for their actions. Just out of curiosity, when was the last major campaign for getting rid of license plates on motor vehicles? I would sure prefer to drive anonymously without some curious cop being able to look up my registration no. in a central database.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not quite sure that works as an analogy, though. Anonymity has its downsides but it beats the alternative, kind of like democracy that way, heh.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh don't get me wrong.... I'm all in for a completely unregulated and free internet... In fact, i think companies like google and Facebook should even be made either public property or forced to split into smaller companies.

How so? Is regulation by private entities such as ISPs or media companies more palpable than if it comes from a state?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How so? Is regulation by private entities such as ISPs or media companies more palpable than if it comes from a state?
Well essentially the hope is that the state gives up the power the companies have right now. Freedom that enables people to control others doesn't deserve the name.

Of course, it would be horribly easy for states to abuse this. Thus, forcing the companies to split up seems more reasonable.

And everybody knows