Any chances to see oriental weapons like in BG2?

the most common, versatile and effective asian battlefield weapons are already in the game: spear and bow.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Because someone had to do it:

That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Masterwork Bastard Sword” bull**** that’s going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Please tell me whoever posted that was serious.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/katanas-are-underpowered-in-d20

originated in /tg/ so it's hard to say... :p

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

really hoping, in general, we see at least a couple new melee weapons introduced. Deadfire being far more exotic than the dyrwood, it should have a few exotic weapons to introduce.

Well, they are adding smallswords so it is totally possible they'll add more weapon types, some of which may be exotic.

Vancian =/= per rest.

I'd be fine with this as long as it is a natural fit and not forced awkwardly. Like we need a fitting culture to use said weapons that we, as of yet, don't really have. Rauatai seem sort of eastern in some ways; I get an Ottoman vibe from them. But as far as far east we don't seem to have a proper culture for that yet. So unless they add one in I don't want items of said cultures; nothing is worse than a forced theme or items when they don't really fit.

Personally I could take or leave such weapons. They aren't my style in general. If added I hope the katana is a two handed weapon (maybe like a two handed saber in function). We would likely need to pick and choose which weapons would be added as they are unlikely to ever add a full selection of new weapons from said cultures.

However, there are many weapons from said cultures that could be placed in the same class as existing weapons in terms of function but with their own different look. For example, the Chinese jian is a double edged sword like the normal sword in game. The Chinese dao is a single edged sword like the saber and indeed some variations of the dao are called sabers in english. There are plenty of daggers in other cultures, spears and polearms, etc etc. So it wouldn't be hard to integrate many such designs into existing weapon classes, I just wouldn't expect more than one or two new weapon classes if they did decide to add oriental cultures and their weapons.

really hoping, in general, we see at least a couple new melee weapons introduced. Deadfire being far more exotic than the dyrwood, it should have a few exotic weapons to introduce.

Well, they are adding smallswords so it is totally possible they'll add more weapon types, some of which may be exotic.

Did they actually say that, or are you extrapolating based on the concept art for Ydwin? 'Cuz that would be a bit of a stretch. It's more likely it's just a rapier drawn a bit wrong.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

A bit wrong? More like very wrong.

I'm nice person and i give Obsidian some credit. They got a lot of equipment in POE1 right so i expect them to keep up the good work.

It's a whole new game we're talking about here, not some expansion/DLC, so new weapon types are a real possibility.

But no they didn't confirm this in words AFAIK.

Vancian =/= per rest.

A bit wrong? More like very wrong.

I'm nice person and i give Obsidian some credit. They got a lot of equipment in POE1 right so i expect them to keep up the good work.

It's a whole new game we're talking about here, not some expansion/DLC, so new weapon types are a real possibility.

But no they didn't confirm this in words AFAIK.

They're fairly relaxed about naming; it's not all that technically accurate. Arming swords are called longswords, and their rapiers are pretty short-bladed for actual Renaissance rapiers and do look more like smallswords or foils. I'm pretty sure Ydwin's weapon falls under the rapier category; I can't see how it would help to introduce another one so close to it.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

They also confirmed a new gun that fires mortars and apparently all the guns are getting updated. Hadnt actually heard anything yet for melee weapons so nice to hear there is at least one addition.

Edited by DigitalCrack

am not seeing a need for new weapons, but adding aesthetic variety would be appreciated.  the current weapon categories are already extreme broad and may accommodate most o' the genuine effective battlefield weapons folks is suggesting. however, it could be nice to get the look o' asian or central/south american arms and armour into the game.  sure, an aztec jaguar or rattlesnake warrior analog in poe would be unlikely to wield an actual obsidian mācuahuitl, but give the warrior hide armour which looks like a jaguar pelt and a unique helm and you are getting something different than what we saw from poe even if the stats/mechanics is not gonna be changed overmuch.  

suggestion: don't add new weapons and armour categories, but allow for more aesthetic variety in what we already gots.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

However, there are many weapons from said cultures that could be placed in the same class as existing weapons in terms of function but with their own different look. For example, the Chinese jian is a double edged sword like the normal sword in game. The Chinese dao is a single edged sword like the saber and indeed some variations of the dao are called sabers in english. There are plenty of daggers in other cultures, spears and polearms, etc etc. So it wouldn't be hard to integrate many such designs into existing weapon classes, I just wouldn't expect more than one or two new weapon classes if they did decide to add oriental cultures and their weapons.

Yeah this is the way I'd probably handle most weapons: simply have them be skin changes of the appropriate existing weapon.

Arming swords are called longswords...

Only one sword, Darcozzi Paladini's Longsword of In'claene, is called a longsword, and that's a backer created item I believe. All other one-handed swords are simple called swords (though Steadfast is described as being a backsword in its description).

I'd probably argue that some of the great swords are closer to longswords in their appearance than though.

am not seeing a need for new weapons, but adding aesthetic variety would be appreciated. the current weapon categories are already extreme broad and may accommodate most o' the genuine effective battlefield weapons folks is suggesting. however, it could be nice to get the look o' asian or central/south american arms and armour into the game. sure, an aztec jaguar or rattlesnake warrior analog in poe would be unlikely to wield an actual obsidian mācuahuitl, but give the warrior hide armour which looks like a jaguar pelt and a unique helm and you are getting something different than what we saw from poe even if the stats/mechanics is not gonna be changed overmuch.

suggestion: don't add new weapons and armour categories, but allow for more aesthetic variety in what we already gots.

HA! Good Fun!

There is a need for new weapons to freshen up the pool of choices and keep thing interesting. from a pure funtionality stand point we could justify that we really only need about 5 to 6 total weapon choices but that would be boring. Its a new game and every aspect is getting some kind of addition so it would make sense that all weapons get a pass and at least a few additions. Plus from a world building perspective the Deadfire SHOULDN'T have the exact same weapons available only, given that its a totally different culture and should come with some locally developed weapon types. Edited by DigitalCrack

yeah, am disagreeing 'bout freshening as a need.  add more rare makes better.  the splat book mentality is what has ruined many a good pnp rule system and is no need to embrace such in poe.  as you said, we are already gonna see additions in many other areas o' the game.  will be loads o' new material, so will be difficult to complain 'bout a stale or staid approach to the sequel.  even so, adding new weapons just 'cause we will see new spells and sub classes is less than convincing to us as we has seen so many good systems go bad simple by indulging the perceived gluttonous need for more.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

yeah, am disagreeing 'bout freshening as a need. add more rare makes better. the splat book mentality is what has ruined many a good pnp rule system and is no need to embrace such in poe. as you said, we are already gonna see additions in many other areas o' the game. will be loads o' new material, so will be difficult to complain 'bout a stale or staid approach to the sequel. even so, adding new weapons just 'cause we will see new spells and sub classes is less than convincing to us as we has seen so many good systems go bad simple by indulging the perceived gluttonous need for more.

HA! Good Fun!

Mostly from a lore and culture aspect, would be kind of lame that the peoples of the Deadfire somehow had absolutely no weapon advancements of there own to contribute? Not saying that we just throw a bunch more in but a certain amount needs to be added to make sense.

Mostly from a lore and culture aspect, would be kind of lame that the peoples of the Deadfire somehow had absolutely no weapon advancements of there own to contribute? Not saying that we just throw a bunch more in but a certain amount needs to be added to make sense.

Much of these could simply be differently skinned variants of standard weapons to be fair. Think along the lines of Xaurip Spears. There's no need introduce entirely new weapon classes, unless there isn't an existing one that is roughly the same.

Much of these could simply be differently skinned variants of standard weapons to be fair. Think along the lines of Xaurip Spears. There's no need introduce entirely new weapon classes, unless there isn't an existing one that is roughly the same.

I understand that and agree I dont think we need to double up or anything. just look at real life old world powers sure they all had their own versions of swords but literally all the cultures have a weapon thats unique in function that the others did not. So in fantasy setting and with a place like deadfire, that has so many cultures converging on it and pre exisiting. That they wouldn't have at least a handful of new weapons unseen in the rest of the world that deserve their own classification would seem ridiculous. Bottom line is its totally justifiable to add a few more new melee types.

That they wouldn't have at least a handful of new weapons unseen in the rest of the world that deserve their own classification would seem ridiculous. 

am pretty certain you don't wanna go down this road. the number and magnitude o' ridiculous features in virtual all crpgs beggar any kinda plausibility considerations.  one-size-fits-all plate armour is okie dokie, but the fact we won't see an atlatl used by any o' the folks in the archipelago is too much?

*shrug*

am thinking people is looking from wrong pov.  search for gaps in the current available weapons, and see where one can fill a perceived gameplay need.  am not a fan o' katanas, but one could argue how the large, two-handed weapon category could benefit from a sharp weapon analogous to the sabre.  got swords, sabres and battle axes for bladed one-handed, but more important you got slash/pierce, sharp, and crit multiplier. one could argue there is justification for filling a sharp gap for two-handed weapons. add katana.  fine.

the ridiculousness arguments is slippery slope.  sure, there is gonna be a threshold beyond which a majority o' folks audibly groan at silly game inclusions or absences, but am thinking you are way removed from those kinda extremes.  not talking 'bout poe adding anime-sized weapons as heavy and unwieldy as the door from a fiat, but sharp as broken glass... no doubt being wielded by little girls in sailor outfits.  am doubting such is what folks mean by oriental weapons. lack o' cultural weapons where lack is disturbing only 'cause o' lore or setting concerns?  nowhere near thresholds.

am not seeing new need.  fix current weapons and add aesthetic variations?  sure, but the current catalog is plenty broad and doesn't need to be padded.  see some kinda gameplay gap and can convince obsidian to fill the need with a cultural marginalized weapon? sure, why not?  even so, cultural need or lore need seems unconvincing in what is first and foremost a game.

HA! Good Fun!

am not seeing a need for new weapons, but adding aesthetic variety would be appreciated. the current weapon categories are already extreme broad and may accommodate most o' the genuine effective battlefield weapons folks is suggesting. however, it could be nice to get the look o' asian or central/south american arms and armour into the game. sure, an aztec jaguar or rattlesnake warrior analog in poe would be unlikely to wield an actual obsidian mācuahuitl, but give the warrior hide armour which looks like a jaguar pelt and a unique helm and you are getting something different than what we saw from poe even if the stats/mechanics is not gonna be changed overmuch.

HA! Good Fun!

A gap huh... throwing weapons or a hybrid weapon that can be both ranged and melee, just off the top of my head. There are definately other weapons roles that could be catered to by adding new weapons. Edited by DigitalCrack

A gap huh... throwing weapons or a hybrid weapon that can be both ranged and melee, just off the top of my head. There are definately other weapons roles that could be catered to by adding new weapons.

am not certain if you are doing this purposeful.

your suggestion is adding a whole new mechanic.  is not filling an already existing gap.  the kinda balance and program concerns for simple adding sharpness to a large, two-handed weapon is anything like what you suggest?

HA! Good Fun!