Any chances to see oriental weapons like in BG2?

Maybe. Why not? Eora should be as diverse as Earth and the Archipelago isn't "European." 

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Japanese and Chinese inspired arms, clothing, and armor.

kneel-P.jpeg

55-40ef81dc17.jpg

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The two main colonisers are Ruatai and the Vailian Republics I think. The latter is obviously based on Renaissance Northern Italy, the former is less obviously based on any specific real world culture but I got some Ottoman Empire vibes from the way Kana described it. That said, we've been told there are other, less influences in the area and, as Leferd says, there's no reason there shouldn't be Eoran cultures similar to real world Asian ones so I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be such weapons.

Please no katana is ultimate weapon. I will riot.

Doesn't have to be the 2nd Edition AD&D powerhouse that it was, but it could be a high damage slashing weapon that's weak against heavy armor.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Please no katana is ultimate weapon. I will riot.

Katanas were **** in most DnD cRPGs. Either they require a special feat for a measly 2 potential max damage or pips for a type that is really rare and the best vanilla is a +4 with some immunity. Saber already takes the mechanical place of Katana in PoE and I'll settle for sabers that can compete with swords or axes rather than a super katana that I unsheath before teleporting behind kids.

Shruiken or polearms would be better if we're talking oriental weapons anyways, but we need Knight to get something else first.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If by oriental weapons you also mean Indian weapons, then I'm game. Weapons like the katar, bagh nakh, urumi, bichwa, trishula, and pata are much more interesting to me than katanas and ninja-to (the inclusion of kusari gama might get my attention though).

• Like 3

I like the idea but I believe it'd be best to find a name more fitting to the setting. As far as I'm aware they were already taking care of not using terms like "golem" or "zombie" and I think the likes of "katana" or "shuriken" should raise even louder alarms. The concept could be borrowed and then retitled using Rauataian or Deadfire languages as a basis (or anything else that might apply).

• Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Chinese and Indian Weapons are cool. Yes.

Yeah, there are definitely some intriguing Chinese weapons out there too. Deer Horn Knives (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Horn_Knives), along with the Indian Katar, both seem like good candidates for monk weapons while still having some appeal for fighters, rogues, and barbarians with more exotic tastes in weaponry. Maybe toss in a few Ulu (http://www.caribooblades.com/Zach_ulu_500.jpg) while we're at it, since Naasitaq is nearby in the same general area.

...Not that I actually expect them to create new models and animations for all these. If there was a DLC introducing these as new weapon types, I'd definitely buy it though.

As far as I'm aware they were already taking care of not using terms like "golem" or "zombie"

Good point, though "gul" is pretty damned close to the Arabic "ghul"/Ghoul.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 2

Well I'm 90% sure Rekke is based on the Japanese, since he is 'Storm Folk', looks strange to Ocean, Savannah and Meadow Folk, and doesn't speak a word of any known language. Japan is famous for its storms (the kamikaze being the most notable), so maybe Rekke at least will have a katana? 

Edited by Grimo88

The Wutai trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Wutai

Well I'm 90% sure Rekke is based on the Japanese, since he is 'Storm Folk', looks strange to Ocean, Savannah and Meadow Folk, and doesn't speak a word of any known language. Japan is famous for its storms (the kamikaze being the most notable), so maybe Rekke at least will have a katana? 

Interesting theory, we'll have to wait for concept art to confirm.

Is it though? I thought the Wutai trope only works if it just randomly located in a Euro civilization. In Eora there are already three fantasy human cultures. So adding a fourth East Asian one would not really be in the true spirit of the trope.

Not that the trope is bad. I find it fun.

While I understand that people hate uninformed boys/people that think that "katanas can cut though anything" I find equally dumb to hate "katanas" as weapons because "im sooo counter-culture/hate anime sooo much" or "katanas suck vs plate armor/whatever not relevant for their context".

Katanas were amazing weapons in their cultural context and epoch, as much as longswords (or other weapons) in theirs. They all reflect many historical and cultural things of the civilizations that made them and shouldn't be discarded by the people or propaganda that modern times surround them.

• Like 6

Because someone had to do it:

That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Masterwork Bastard Sword” bull**** that’s going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.
Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:
(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork
(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork
Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?
tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Masterwork Bastard Sword” bull**** that’s going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon) 1d12 Damage 19-20 x4 Crit +2 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon) 2d10 Damage 17-20 x4 Crit +5 to hit and damage Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don’t you think?

I love neckbeards.

To this day, I still giggle when I read this pic:

post-65653-0-49258600-1488009430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

I feel this image is gonna sum up my response to a lot of things...

1491041895870997936%255B1%255D.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing oriental and Indian weapons of course, as long as we got more than just the katana.

Katana_PR.jpg

Or in PoE's case, a saber!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Is it though? I thought the Wutai trope only works if it just randomly located in a Euro civilization. In Eora there are already three fantasy human cultures. So adding a fourth East Asian one would not really be in the true spirit of the trope.

Not that the trope is bad. I find it fun.

He is a shipwrecked sailor, in a world full of maritime powers... how is this the Wutai trope if he is from a separate Asian nation? 

• Like 1

Please tell me whoever posted that was serious.