Is Ydwin yandere or tsundere?

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is Ydwin's anime personality?

• Yandere (◕‿◕)
    • Tsundere (◣_◢)

Actually the biggest worry I have with her is that she ends up like Liara, which I can see happening.  I DETEST Liara, I found her to be the most annoying character in that game (and considering that most of the characters in that game annoyed me to various degrees, that's an accomplishment).  Just talking to her made me want to put needles in my head.  If she ends up like Liara then when I get the game I will kill her so hard that Liara herself will die despite being in a totally different game!  I'm sure she won't though, Obsidian are better than that and concept is actually different.

What? Even Tali, Wrex and Garrus?

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Seeing the asshurt anything vaguely animeish induces, I hope Ydwin is a distillation of all anime tropes into one character and half the game is the plot of a harem anime.

Kain Parker sits enjoying the view of his high rise, effortlessly comfortable in his Italian leather drinking chair. Below him the fires of the anime riots burn bright, casting his shadow high on the ceiling above him.

Kain slowly rubs his hands together excitedly as he takes in the sight of sub-forums consuming themselves.

"Yes," he muses to himself "yes...."

I've been found out.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Seeing the asshurt anything vaguely animeish induces, I hope Ydwin is a distillation of all anime tropes into one character and half the game is the plot of a harem anime.

Can we have a mecha plot at the very least? We already have Eyeless anyway.

Can we tell Aloth to get in the ****ing Eva already? :p

• Like 4

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

In all fairness I am a mod on the biggest anime streaming site on the internet, and even I think this poll is dumb and people saying she is an anime character are kidding themselves.  This is obsidian we are talking about, they are not going to take a handful of anime tropes and make that into a companion.

• Like 2

In all fairness I am a mod on the biggest anime streaming site on the internet, and even I think this poll is dumb and people saying she is an anime character are kidding themselves.  This is obsidian we are talking about, they are not going to take a handful of anime tropes and make that into a companion.

I’m pretty sure the poll is a joke :cat:

• Like 3

Pillars of Bugothas

Some people are just no fun. Whatever anime trope bull**** someone wants to attach to the character Ydwin won't effect how the character is written. I feel some of you forget what the relationships were like in Baldur's Gate 2, you had all kinds of ways to interact with your followers.

am agreed. we see such embracing o' anime archetypes as being unlikely.  'course given such a conclusion, it makes us wonder why obsidian went with such curious art direction for ydwin.  as dumb as is poll, the poll and responses is not unexpected.

though that isn't saying ydwin couldn't be written to evoke comparisons to glenn close from fatal attraction, or kate from taming of the shrew.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/413724/Taming-Of-The-Shrew-The-Movie-Clip-No-Man-But-Me.html

transformed by affection to

'course only responding to get in liz taylor and richard burton clips.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Actually the biggest worry I have with her is that she ends up like Liara, which I can see happening.  I DETEST Liara, I found her to be the most annoying character in that game (and considering that most of the characters in that game annoyed me to various degrees, that's an accomplishment).  Just talking to her made me want to put needles in my head.  If she ends up like Liara then when I get the game I will kill her so hard that Liara herself will die despite being in a totally different game!  I'm sure she won't though, Obsidian are better than that and concept is actually different.

What? Even Tali, Wrex and Garrus?

Yes, even them, though I did still like them.  Dunno what it is, but even when I like their characters something about Bioware characters rub me up the wrong way.  It's like there's a level of obnoxiousness you have to tolerate with each of them.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I think their problem is that they create the categories to which the characters have to fit first, and only then start writing the actual characters. That's what you get when artistic direction is headed by faceless men with suitcases. Systems and categories. When you expect artistic expression from a group like that, you're bound to be disappointed.

It's especially funny with ME1, where all the romanceable characters, Aidan, Ashley and Liara are utter bull****, while the rest of the crew is actually quite nice. There is quite a contrast there demonstrating what happens with characters that start as categories that have to satisfy a certain plot-formula.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I think their problem is that they create the categories to which the characters have to fit first, and only then start writing the actual characters. That's what you get when artistic direction is headed by faceless men with suitcases. Systems and categories. When you expect artistic expression from a group like that, you're bound to be disappointed.

It's especially funny with ME1, where all the romanceable characters, Aidan, Ashley and Liara are utter bull****, while the rest of the crew is actually quite nice. There is quite a contrast there demonstrating what happens with characters that start as categories that have to satisfy a certain plot-formula.

That's a good point. Most often I don't like the characters that end up romance-able. It's like they are trying to fit in narrative options to please people. Writing characters and seeing where that takes you is much better.

• Like 1

Yes, even them, though I did still like them.  Dunno what it is, but even when I like their characters something about Bioware characters rub me up the wrong way.  It's like there's a level of obnoxiousness you have to tolerate with each of them.

You don't like Wrex, or even.... Garrus??!?!!??!?  You monster!!!

No seriously, Garrus was one of the best things about Mass Effect I don't know how you got through that series without liking the guy.

• Like 1

No seriously, Garrus was one of the best things about Mass Effect I don't know how you got through that series without liking the guy.

Mass effect had so many great people imo. Garrus, Thane, Wrex, Grunt, Mordin, Legion etc etc.. Man you can go on about the great characters in that series. The squad members was what made the games. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see any "anime" appearance with Ydwin and we don't really know enough about her to make educated guesses on what she will be like in regard to representation, general character-revealing situations and interaction in dialogue. So it's hard to say.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Her pretty anime appearance is a reason to love her more, not less.

It is easy to love Ydwin when other female companions are masculine ones.

You are playing a party of serial killers. I don't see a cute anime girl in there without being a monster in a disguise.

• Like 2

Yandere, definitely :). I can't imagine Ydwin as a "Te nori Taiga".Though i'm more in the kuudere thing :D. Ah, but, actually, i'd rather no -dere at all because >>> exit stereotypes.

Funny poll by the way :)

You are playing a party of serial killers. I don't see a cute anime girl in there without being a monster in a disguise.

Considering she gets her jollies by practicing animancy on dead things it is a safe bet you are right.

Hey, I said I did still like them!  Just found them to also be horribly obnoxious, and in some cases (Liara, Zaeed, Jack) not likable either, to the extent that I would leave some on a certain planet to die horribly while shouting my name...  Having said that, none of them were particularly deep or well-written characters in my opinion.  They were actually usually little more than exposition dumps with some cool catchphrases thrown in.

I thought being a monster in disguise was a prerequisite to being a cute anime girl?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Hey, I said I did still like them!  Just found them to also be horribly obnoxious, and in some cases (Liara, Zaeed, Jack) not likable either, to the extent that I would leave some on a certain planet to die horribly while shouting my name...  Having said that, none of them were particularly deep or well-written characters in my opinion.  They were actually usually little more than exposition dumps with some cool catchphrases thrown in.

Oh good lord do I ever agree with you on Zaeed and Jack. I imagine the writers' meeting to have gone something like this: "Ok people, we need edgier companions. Like, really, really edgy."

• Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Oh good lord do I ever agree with you on Zaeed and Jack. I imagine the writers' meeting to have gone something like this: "Ok people, we need edgier companions. Like, really, really edgy."

"Like the edge of this ruler?"

"No, edgiER!"

"The edge of the edge of the ruler?"

"That's it!  Write up some catchphrases and we done!"

"What about hairstyle?"

"Whatever hairstyles rulers have.  Hang on, don't we need to add in another one of those, what are they called, the things that have all the milk?"

"Women?"

"Yes, them!  Make it a female ruler!"

"Hey, we can't leave pencils out!"

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

I thought being a monster in disguise was a prerequisite to being a cute anime girl?

Or my exgf.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hahaha! :lol:

I had missed this thread, but reading through it, made me lol, that's for sure.

I don't mind manga and anime per se, as plenty of great games and movies bear testiment to, but I'd rather not have any anime in Deadfire. 

Any such intrusions will get a cannon volley from my pirate ship.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Or my exgf.

Or KP's exgf.

Counterpoints:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShrinkingViolet

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YamatoNadeshiko

etc.

Counter-counterpoint: Your mom. :p (Please don't hate me).