What kind of intelligent weapon do you want to have?

To make it a viable choice for the entire game without making it the only weapon anyone would use, perhaps it could occupy a different slot than your weapons and grant a once pr combat ability?

Or, how about a sentient floating sword which could fill that 6th party member slot?

Arent soulbound weapons like end game option?

So fully leveled soulweapon should be one of the best sticks in the game.

The only thing important is option to actually mute weapon in her description, since even the most fun joke could be less fun after a while.

They could just make it like Enserric from Hordes of the Underdark.  Just morph it into a different weapon type based on the user's preference.

Yes, that would be cool. Even if soulbound weapons take your best proficiency options you cant choose if they are two handed or one handed weapons, nor some other bonuses weapons have (like the accuracy bonus rapiers get, for example)

Giving the weapon the ability to change would solve the issue of a player finally getting his hands on it only to find the new intelligent weapon is a two haded one and his character dual wields.

I'd like to see something more subtle myself, rather than a weapon that shouts cheesy lines about it's lack of formal edumication. Ideally I'd like it's dialogue to be limited to (a) directly talking to it and (b) scripted interjections in quest dialogues. To make (a) more interesting, have it have a quest line where as you make progress on the quest it tells you more about its backstory.

What you think of as "subtle" I think of as "boring and flat". I want it to interject into conversations, to comment on my surroundings, to observe the world as it happens.

I'm always disappointed that my sentient talking weapon is about as reactive as a television screen--it only reacts to me or my actions, never the other way around.

I want it to interject into conversations, to comment on my surroundings, to observe the world as it happens.

I'm all for those things too, so long as it doesn't become repetitive. If I enter a new map and it says something about it, that's cool. If every time I enter the map it pipes up with the same line, I'm not.

Basically I want to avoid another Lilarcor. Lilarcor was reasonably funny in my first playthrough, but in later playthroughs I grew tired of hearing the same lines again and again.

• Like 1

I'll cast another vote for a morphing weapon. Maybe even something that could turn into gauntlets like Planescape Torment's Entropic Blade so even unarmed-focused monks could get some use out of it.

I'm not really one for slapstick sidekicks/talking equipment so I'd pass on another Lilarcor. I like the idea of the weapon having an empathic link with the wielder which would cause its personality to be partially influenced by the Watcher's highest ranked disposition (player choice in the case of a tie), allowing a bit more variability in accordance with different playstyles, but that also seems like it'd require a ridiculous amount of work to do well.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 2

I'm honestly never that bothered about intelligent weapons - Lilacor was hilarious, I grnt you, especially when paired wiht Minsk (because why wouldn't you do that?) but as someone said, we've had that angle before.

But...

I wouldn't say no to, say, Bardiche (from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha) in Pillars form...

[image would been inserted here, but apparently not on this forum. Eh, you can always google it if you ahve no idea what I'm talking about.]

... Engrish and all.

Aside from being a) ridiculously awesome and b) pretty much a reasonably customisable-to-your-preferences, bonus points would be given for having the magical-girl transformaion sequence (to my male watcher...) and thus making all you companions (and possibly the enemies...) scream and cover their eyes and such.

(Aloth's and Eder's reactions in particular would be priceless, even more so with Iselmyr in play....!)

Edited by Aotrs Commander
  • Like 1

I was thinking a rock. A sharp rock, because it'd just be that witty.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

I just want a weapon that's as much a person, with goals and hopes it's own perspective and full personality, as any other NPC.

I want the weapon to be as much an individual as Sagani.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 4

If it is a serious personality weapon then I'd want a sword of some kind. If we stick to the trend of epic weapons from POE then it will be an Estoc (The Grey Sleeper and Blade of the Endless Paths were probably the most epic weapons in POE due to the quests involved to acquite them) but I doubt they would do that. But in all seriousness swords are the most universally liked weapons. I'm not saying that makes them the best but they have a generally positive image. I know that I certainly like them more than most weapons.

If it is a comic relief personality then it should be a gun. I want it to say bang whenever it shoots. Like Deadpool style. That said I am hoping it is a serious personality, comic relief talking items are overdone (plus we have Lilarcor from BG2 for that in this genre). 

I just want a weapon that's as much a person, with goals and hopes it's own perspective and full personality, as any other NPC.

I want the weapon to be as much an individual as Sagani.

I don't know why that remark was directed at Sagani, but I lol'ed.

Sagani is my go-to for the minimum of companion allure. Less interesting then that, and I'm never going to use them.

• Like 2

I'm sure Obsidian will hammer out a good concept between them, no hatchet jobs please.  Though if they're gunner shield us from the final idea, I'm sure they'll stilettos know a few details before release.

*takes a bow* ... *ship sinks because it has no bow* ... and the puns continue...

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Some wrote about a pacifist weapon earlier in the thread (cant find who) and I think that is an amazing idea. Really strong souldbound weapon that gives you **** when you use it. Either that or talking firearm. In any case, I know Obsidian is going to do a great job with this. Brenecke just seemed way too excited about it

Edited by dukeisaac

I would like a sentient arquebus which (as I previously said on topic) smokes too much (and coughs too) when firing.

A bit jealous of naval canons, always on the sea to travel, but proud of its skills, and a war veteran.

"Canons only need quantity, I NEED quality. But at least, they know discipline."

"Pistols? Youngsters. Always to shoot first before aiming."

"Blunderbusses? They don't even know where to aim!

"Blades? WHAT? Barbarians! Always covered with blood! No way!"

It would like refined gunpowder, (maybe some jokes on the gunpowder tea) debate a lot with Eder on what is the best herb to smoke.

Oh and always with its monocle aiming device. :geek:  (maybe some interaction with Ydwin)

Taking its time to aim, to shoot and to talk.

Grandpa Rifle. Lol

Edited by Huinehtar
  • Like 2

Perhaps the weapon can part of a multi stage quest involving an individual you come to be at odds with. They don't necessarily have to be a villain, maybe just staunch competition. During what seems to be the climax of the quest, the individual's soul is sheared from their body by the actions of a mutual adversary. Feeling responsible you agree to the soul's insistence to be avenged by tethering them to a weapon. Here is where you can choose the type of weapon. The weapon levels as you fulfill goals ultimately leading to the defeat of the mutual adversary and fully powered intelligent weapon.