What kind of intelligent weapon do you want to have?

At 4.25mio we will get a talking soulbound weapon.

We all know Lilarcor from BG2: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Lilarcor

I have also seen a cartoon (in german, I do not know the name anymore) where a pirate was looking for a searing sword. Well, his information was not so correct and he found a singing sword instead. The sword wanted to talk and sing all the time which is not so good when you want to sneak around on an island full of pirates and cannibals.

The good news in the PoE setting is, that a talking sword makes perfect sense. We already have talking statues and golems. So the weapon must be made of adra.

Adra looks like jade or maybe some vulcanic glass (there is green obsidian too). Those material have been used for weapons in the real world, but mostly ceremonial ones because those material break easily.

Doe we already have an adra weapon in PoE1?

Did anybody mention the physical properties of adra? (Is it hard, heavy, brittle, . . .)

And most importantly:

What kind of weapon do you want to have and what should the talking weapon say?

Yeah, that's true, we do have talking statues and chairs and the Devil of Caroc. I'd actually like to know the limitations of this procedure. I mean, can you affix a soul to anything? Or is there a minimum mass/area, or a certain kind or material that you need? Could you affix a soul to something ridiculous like a toothbrush? It all sort of reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist.

Anyway, I suppose like Lilarcor, comic value is best? (I really don't want to hear a sob story about a guy's soul trapped in a sword) A bloodthirsty sword, axe or dagger would be fine by me.

Dual daggers Fire and Ice with split personalities, where one is a serious assasins, and the second one is all for fun fun fun.

Classy AF rapier, who value style and technique as much as good whetstone.

War Scythe which takes his role as grim reaper favorite tool too serious.

Oversized WarMaul which has seen many battles but still wants MOAR. Have a dwarven spirit inside, just values courage, and loyality, and good scull cracking. Could tell good warstories.

Comic Relief Sword of course. Actually all talking weapons are comics relief.

There should be option somehow to mute our weapon. Gag it or something. Soulbound weapons are cool, but dad jokes could be tiresome for some. It is all about fanservice anyway.

Warbow made of DryadWood, and sense of protecting nature, when killing wildwife she says "Sorry my friend, forgive me" but when killing humanoids "Who is prey now, beach!" , She is real huntress, so she is also good at killing monsters.

Sniper Aquebusaurus who is dedicated to rule "One shot, one kill" and likes plans. English gentelman. It has pers of being silenced (for gunshot, not talking) so can go for some stealthy kills.

Saber Waifu, Lover Kiss, with soul of love (Juliet). Romancable weapon (you asked for it). Who will tell all cute and romantic things you ever wanted, and some you definetly dont. Overattached weapon. "My life is yours" . "We are in it together", "I just want to be with you forever". "Hold me light senapi"

Honour Lance, soul of Noble Knight, protector of the meak, born leader and champion of justice. He just may not get the memo that he is just a stick, not party commander.

Bloodthirsty Butcher Axe, when you are gigantic axe everything look as lamb. A bit cruel.

Werters Pistol with pessimist, and depression (like Martin from Hitchhigher Guide to Galaxy). "This dungeon is so gloom, i already feel like im all rust" "You are the worse adventurers i ever meet" "Kill it, kill that, when we do something interesting?"

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

Talking gun who yells at you when you miss. You shouldn't explode his mouth if you're not going to make it count.

Yes. Talking gun. The ennuendo potential alone would be priceless.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'd like to see something more subtle myself, rather than a weapon that shouts cheesy lines about it's lack of formal edumication. Ideally I'd like it's dialogue to be limited to (a) directly talking to it and (b) scripted interjections in quest dialogues. To make (a) more interesting, have it have a quest line where as you make progress on the quest it tells you more about its backstory.

• Like 3

I'd like to see something more subtle myself, rather than a weapon that shouts cheesy lines about it's lack of formal edumication. Ideally I'd like it's dialogue to be limited to (a) directly talking to it and (b) scripted interjections in quest dialogues. To make (a) more interesting, have it have a quest line where as you make progress on the quest it tells you more about its backstory.

Since it's a soulbound weapon, perhaps it could start with most of its memories and intellect sealed away, and only be able to talk in single words and disjointed half-sentences. But as it reached higher levels it could get smarter and more eloquent, maybe even have some agenda of its own. 

• Like 3

Since it's a soulbound weapon, perhaps it could start with most of its memories and intellect sealed away, and only be able to talk in single words and disjointed half-sentences. But as it reached higher levels it could get smarter and more eloquent, maybe even have some agenda of its own. 

I hadn't thought about that, but that works perfectly. Perhaps have it's unlocks tied to visiting locations that are somehow related to it's memories? Perhaps with a Grey Sleeper style riddle (although this time I might work it out rather than look up the solution).

But... but... that's already how Soulbound weapons work. You have to do all this (troublesome) stuff and then it tells you the backstory. Don't you want something slightly different for the talking one?

Of course. I want it to tell me it's backstory with its talking words ;)

More seriously sure, I want more than just that. Like I said, I'd love to see it interject during dialogues like companions can, and I'd hope it has a quest associated with it. I just figure if it's going to be soulbound then it might as well make use of the soulbound unlock mechanics as well.

I'd like a sword that doesn't talk like a murderous psychopath. Perhaps even female. Something classy, like a countessa originally trained in the finer arts of sword play, with a deep background and some unique character flaws.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm sure OE is gonna make whatever road they choose to go with the weapons personality great. I'm more interested in some innovative use of it. For instance if you can use it in interactions and some clever/funny outcomes and dialog as a result. Also I want it comment on the conversations and choices in general. I missed Lilarcor not doing that.

EDIT: lol ****, missed that Kruger mentioned similar ideas earlier in the thread. :p I do want it active in more than just those situations tho.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

I'd like a sword that doesn't talk like a murderous psychopath. Perhaps even female. Something classy, like a countessa originally trained in the finer arts of sword play, with a deep background and some unique character flaws.

I really hope for something original.  Female would be cool, I think.  I have pretty high expectations of Obsidian - as they do of themselves.  I look forward to seeing/hearing about where they'll take this once we hit that SG later today.

• Like 1

I usually really like staffs/Quaterstaffs on my wizard but I sometimes make him wield swords just cos they look cool. Unfortunately most staffs looked quite ugly in pillars except that soulbound one I found in white march. I guess if they make an option where you can choose what type of weapon you are making that would be best like others suggested. For example they could make it part of a quest were you are helping an animancer do an experiment or something like that and surprise! You suddenly get talking weapon created.

Edited by Bluedemonfox

a rifle who sounds like sergeant hartman from full metal jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEk0aK-GqR0

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)