Is PoE2 the biggest crowdfunding project ever?

According to the kickstarter page, Torment:Tides of numenera has collected 4.188.927$

If PoE2 will beat this number, will it be the biggest crowd funding project ever?

By "biggest" I mean the amount of money collected in the official campaign. We do not know how much money has been given from other sources (e.g. pay pal). Also I do not mean maximum % of the initial funding goal reached, there are better projects regarding this value.

Even if we restrict it to games rather than all crowdfunded projects, Star Citizen would still be ahead. They did their initial crowdfunding campaign on two different websites, but the total of the two was $6.2 million.

Edited by eselle28

By that token, all investors who would have pledged if not given the chance to invest (as would have been the case on KS) should be added to the pledge amount. But alas, we'll never know how many they are and how much they would have pledged...

That said, not sure why investors shouldn't count.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Even if we restrict it to games rather than all crowdfunded projects, Star Citizen would still be ahead. They did their initial crowdfunding campaign on two different websites, but the total of the two was $6.2 million.

Shenmue 3 ($6.333 million) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night ($5.545 million) also made more than PoE2 is likely to reign in by the end of their campaign.

• Like 2

According to the kickstarter page, Torment:Tides of numenera has collected 4.188.927$

If PoE2 will beat this number, will it be the biggest crowd funding project ever?

By "biggest" I mean the amount of money collected in the official campaign. We do not know how much money has been given from other sources (e.g. pay pal). Also I do not mean maximum % of the initial funding goal reached, there are better projects regarding this value.

No way, man. 

That scam called Star Citizen has taken almost 150 million dollars (yes, the amount is correct) and they dont even have an alpha version of the game after five years of crowfunding. 

Imagine what Obsidian could do with 150 millions dollars for a single RPG game...

PS. My guess is they would make a virtual reality RPG game. Finally we would be able to fight some "real" dragons. 

Edited by No idea
  • Like 1

Shenmue 3 ($6.333 million) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night ($5.545 million) also made more than PoE2 is likely to reign in by the end of their campaign.

I didn't end up giving to any other crowd funded games between now and back when PoE had its kickstarter. As a Symphony of the Night fan, I was rather happy to see Bloodstained get funded, to whatever extent. Shenmue 3 too, in a way, though I've heard some iffy things about how it's coming along. Bloodstained had a demo to its backers. Can't say I was impressed with what one of the backers showed off in a video, but that's more to personal taste in metroid/metroidvania style games, as I like the hand drawn sprite aesthetic for such things (though I certainly have nothing against 3D or 2.5D).

That same like for the sprite look has had me going back and forth over whether to give Serpent in the Staglands a go. Love the look, iffy about some of the other aspects.

Money isn't everything. Bioware spent $300,000,000 on a Star Wars game and we got The Old Republic.

I'd send Obsidian a big pack of ramen and water every month, and pay for the rotted out shack they'd live in, if they'd make a honest to goodness single player Star Wars RPG. Probably a really bad idea because I'd likely forget to feed them at some point. Also I'm fairly sure there's all sorts of human rights violations in there somewhere too. I guess they'd actually want paid or something silly like that.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

I think Obsidian could do wonders with a larger budget but not too much larger. I think like 10 million would be enough for them to deliver just about a perfect product. Maybe not a flashy one but they could get all the content they want, test it properly, develop the world, etc etc.  Too much money could lead to a loss of focus on the project, trying to do everything and thus failing to do anything well. I'd trust Obsidian more than most but even the best companies with the best intentions can fall into the trap of having too many resources for a project that doesn't truly need said resources to be great.