Sign in to follow this  
Oter2k

1-handed sword only, as viable choice of combat

Just wanted to suggest something I feel is missing from most RPGs today, and something I know was discussed (post launch at least) with PoE1: one-handed swords as only weapon. No shield, no off-hand, and certainly no two-handed log of a weapon :)

My reasoning is that if you look at most fantasy books (and movies), many of the characters opt for a one- to one-and-a-half (bastard?) handed swords, instead of wielding a huge lumbering claymore. This would be a master swordsman, who strikes with speed and precision, relies on parries and dodge (to some degree), though not neccessarily the "ninja" style of a rogue. Think in the lines of Al'Lan Mandragoran from the Wheel of Time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

one-and-a-half (bastard?)

Longsword.

Wait... you're talking about fantasy. In this case, yeah, that would probably be a "bastard sword".

This would be a master swordsman, who strikes with speed and precision, relies on parries and dodge (to some degree), though not neccessarily the "ninja" style of a rogue.

Ninjas were not about combat.

Vancian =/= per rest.

Single wield one handed weapons (such as a sword) receive an accuracy bonus in PoE.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

A bonus to disengagement attacks with fast weapons would be a nice additional benefit. You have better control of your facing with a single-handed weapon and no shield, so you should be able to back out of combat more easily. Let that dagger-wielding rogue make hit and run attacks all over the battlefield.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I believe it gets an accuracy bonus which translates into more crits if I understand the system.

Not as useful as two-handers in practice, but that's because of the DT system.

"Take your child murderin' god and shove his him up his own ass."-Volorun

"...the vote of a black redhead disabled homosexual transsexual Jew should probably be worth the same as at least a hundred white heterosexual Christians."-Rostere

"i can think of many women i would gladly sleep with, but not a single one that i would want as a girlfriend/wife... neither real nor fictional."-teknoman2

"I'm all for killing dogs in film." - algroth

"Iselmyr is the one who did GOMAD... Aloth is lactose intolerant" -ShadySands

POE1 one handed builds were possible especially after the one handed talent change. I guess this post should be 'can you make one handed builds better than other builds' for POE2 because it was a viable choice.