Favourite New Companion/Sidekick  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which new companion/sidekick are you most looking forward to?

• Xoti AKA Peasant Girl turned Sickle-Wielding Priestess
    • Maia Rua AKA Eagle-Wielding Big Sister
    • Tekēhu AKA ??? Godlike Aumaua
    • Serafen AKA Pirate Orlan with Hand-Cannon
    • Ydwin AKA Bespectacled Pale Elf with Corpse Obsession
    • Radora AKA Drunken Mage Sea Captain
    • Bonteru AKA Explorer Dwarf with Passion for Poison
    • Rekke AKA Happy Fighter who Speaks Gibberish
    • The Sentient Weapon

Despite knowing virtually nothing about him, I voted for Tekēhu because he's two of my favourite classes combined in one. (Since this poll was made it's been confirmed on Reddit that he's a Chanter/Druid.)

I'm crossing my fingers that I like his personality, because those are two both classes I enjoy having in my party.

• Like 2

From what little we know of each, and in hope she'll be voiced by Allegra Clark, I cast my vote for Xoti.

Maia Rua is a close second.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

am not interested in any one companion more than another.  perhaps we particular like artwork for a few companions.  initial written character sketches may raise questions for us.  regardless, it is how the companion is developed which will define character as success or fails. the visual hook and ****tail napkin pitch?  meh. wow us spring o' 2018, 'cause nothing you do with characters spring 2017 is gonna have meaningful impact 'pon Gromnir. 

is already too much writer/developer reliance on initial hook.  am not gonna feed such a shortcoming.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm looking forward to all them... I think my favourites are in order (so far) : Ydwin (potentially), Maia Rua, Xoti and Serafen. I think Serafen is going to be real cool, but I wonder if he will have as much character depth as the others. I have no idea what to expect from Maia, so its interesting. Blue guy, well, since we don't know anything about him...

Sidekicks seem ok and a bit quirky. That being said, I really hope Ydwin makes it as a full character.

Ydwin, if she actually ends up becoming a companion, Maia Rua if not. I'm not really interested in the sidekicks, I mean I'll do their quest and have them join the party but, they'll be full time stronghold guards. Them not being part of the relationship system as opposed to other companions makes them on par with Henchmen for me, even if I would end up liking them if they were full companions.

I really like the idea of an animancer companion and a companion from The White That Wends, and she just so happens to be both. Maia Rua has the benefit of being the only new companion we've heard of before and being extremely tied in with the narrative of Deadfire which immediately pushes her to just behind Ydwin in terms of companion levels.

So based off first impressions it's the following:

1 Ydwin (companion)

2 Maia Rua

3 Tekehu

4 Xoti

5 Ydwin (sidekick)

6 Sentient Weapon

7 Bonteru

8 Serafen

9 Radora

10 Rekke

The sentient weapon isn't a companion...

How dare you, sir

Good day!

The sentient weapon isn't a companion...

So...sidekick level, then?

I'll take it

don't you dare.  shady is a real rocknrolla, no?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So, Ydwin fans—what makes you like her better than other companions?

She's clearly getting the love in this poll.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

People probably just want to let Obsidian know how much they want her as a companion.

I've considered giving my vote to Ydwin for that exact reason but realized it's not Something Awful forum so i didn't bother and voted for Xoti.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

Honestly, I think she's just the type of character that appeals to the average nerd. If you're a guy, and you roll a female character, I think you generally try to create you ideal woman. And for most fantasy geeks, their ideal woman is something like the concept art of Ydwin ;) 

Of course, the animancer aspect is also interesting.

am not interested in any one companion more than another.  perhaps we particular like artwork for a few companions.  initial written character sketches may raise questions for us.  regardless, it is how the companion is developed which will define character as success or fails. the visual hook and ****tail napkin pitch?  meh. wow us spring o' 2018, 'cause nothing you do with characters spring 2017 is gonna have meaningful impact 'pon Gromnir. 

is already too much writer/developer reliance on initial hook.  am not gonna feed such a shortcoming.

HA! Good Fun!

Dude... sometimes you're so rational its frightening. Of course its too early to tell, but the poll is just for fun, and also to summarize the companion information we have so far.

• Like 1

I think Obsidian acknowledge how much fans liked/wanted Ydwin when they chose her as the 8th companion stretch goal as opposed to a brand new character (perhaps a dwarf, seeing how many people want a dwarf companion.)

@Heijoushin - Indeed, especially on the Codex the argument's been made that Ydwin is a waifu bait. I was kind of hoping most people's reason for liking her wasn't that—call me an inveterate romantic XD

I think Obsidian acknowledge how much fans liked/wanted Ydwin when they chose her as the 8th companion stretch goal as opposed to a brand new character (perhaps a dwarf, seeing how many people want a dwarf companion.)

@Heijoushin - Indeed, especially on the Codex the argument's been made that Ydwin is a waifu bait. I was kind of hoping most people's reason for liking her wasn't that—call me an inveterate romantic XD

Josh wrote on his twitter:

re: ydwin looking like an anime character: pale elves were put in pillars to be drow-y anime characters. you've solved the riddle of steel.

So many like her, and some immediately hate her on principle. Still, I'm glad Xoti and Maia also got lots of votes.

• Like 1

I like her concept (well-mannered but with a morbid fascination for death) but if people start drooling over her because "ZOMG hot nerdy girl!!1!one" that'll probably make me hate her :p

Xoti is top of my list anyway.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

Voted for Takehu since we don't know much about any of them, the least known is the way to go :p

Xoty seems to be a clever girl, a bit Veronica(NV) vibe; will be fun watching her play with "thick" Eder's religious views.

Serafen seems to be pure fun. Would have been better if one of his classes were chanter tho, there is potential in a singing pirate orlan,

Can't quite decide on Maia Rua, seems serious like Pallegina, her portrait suggests a mother figure, but doesn't seem that way in that group sketch.

Edited by Quillon

Can't quite decide on Maia Rua, seems serious like Pallegina, her portrait suggests a mother figure, but doesn't seem that way in that group sketch.

I don't know, she looked like a hardass in all of her art. She actually looked more severe in her concept art than in the more whimsical group portrait. 

I don't care if Ydwin is hot or not, I just love the idea of having an animancer in the party - in fact I feel this should have literally been the first companion you met in the first game so we had a mouthpiece we care about for this core part of the plot and setting, and I think it's pretty dumb it got relegated to a 'maybe in the sequel if we completely overshoot our other goals'.

I also like pale elves and their background, and I like the idea of the in-setting equivelant of a necromancer being rather old-school gentlemanly polite about it. She looks like she's about to duel for her honor because someone accused her of defiling a corpse. :p

• Like 4

yeah, having an animancer as a companion was my primary reason for picking Ydwin.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer