Favourite New Companion/Sidekick  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which new companion/sidekick are you most looking forward to?

• Xoti AKA Peasant Girl turned Sickle-Wielding Priestess
    • Maia Rua AKA Eagle-Wielding Big Sister
    • Tekēhu AKA ??? Godlike Aumaua
    • Serafen AKA Pirate Orlan with Hand-Cannon
    • Ydwin AKA Bespectacled Pale Elf with Corpse Obsession
    • Radora AKA Drunken Mage Sea Captain
    • Bonteru AKA Explorer Dwarf with Passion for Poison
    • Rekke AKA Happy Fighter who Speaks Gibberish
    • The Sentient Weapon

Sadly we may only get Ydwin as sidekicks. Obsidian purposely put her as 5M where is impossible to get. Anyhow, i'm more interested in Radora instead personally.

Josh stated that they were afraid of one more companion and that is why they did the 5M stretch goal.

So, basically, they don't want to do any more companions, too much work perhaps? That is why the party is now at 5 members?

Realistically, adding PayPal funds won't hit the $5 million.

But I do like that Xoti will be directly related and relevant to the main plotline surrounding Eothas.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Based on past trends, they may have a shot at $4.5 million, but $4.75 is questionable to doubtful.

For Project Eternity, PayPal added approximately $100,000-ish on top of the Kickstarter.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It's official, RIP Ydwin. No more animancer companion for us.

She is already a sidekick. She will just be quieter.

The prophecy was true. The ritual complete. She is the perfect trope now.

What have we done. We could have had a dwarf!

I expect Serafen to be the easiest to get along with and I'm interested in the philosophical/theological tensions that I vaguely recall the developers discussing in regards to Eder and Xoti (even if it's a bit of moot point for my Watchers who fed him to the pool or strung up his carcass in Gilded Vale).

In terms of first impressions, I'm leaning towards Ydwin, though I'd have liked her more if she was a ranger with a wicht companion (I couldn't afford a super-pet and apparently I just can't let this go). Wicht or no witcht, though, I particularly like the availability of rogue as a base class for her since it emphasizes the distinction between animancers (who have been described as being more based around the use of tools and machinery) and spellcasters while also somewhat calling back to her academic background by suggesting that she relies more on knowledge of anatomy while fighting than formal martial training.

In terms of first impressions, I'm leaning towards Ydwin, though I'd have liked her more if she was a ranger with a wicht companion (I couldn't afford a super-pet and apparently I just can't let this go). Wicht or no witcht, though, I particularly like the availability of rogue as a base class for her since it emphasizes the distinction between animancers (who have been described as being more based around the use of tools and machinery) and spellcasters while also somewhat calling back to her academic background by suggesting that she relies more on knowledge of anatomy while fighting than formal martial training.

A wicht pet? Ummmm... I think by definition, a pet needs to be, like, an animal?

Edited by Heijoushin

a pet needs to be, like, an animal?

And wichts have animal souls, but I just considered the class arrangement as more a mechanical arrangement to express possible animancy experiments she might engage in.

Ah, I see what you mean. But ranger still seems wrong. They should actually consider making a 12th class, "animancer", to do things like that.

The perversity of using a nature-focused class to represent a bond with an unnatural vessel is part of the appeal for me, but I can see how it might not work for others.

They should actually consider making a 12th class, "animancer", to do things like that.

I'd prefer that they keep animancy to skills and talents if they make it mechanically accessible to us at all. The lore emphasis on it being more of a technological discipline doesn't fit so well with the classes tapping into the power of the soul through themes like Zeal, Faith, Discipline, etc. (though I guess you could argue that their source would just be Technology) and having animancy tied to skills/talents rather than class abilities allows animancers themselves to differ from each other in potentially interesting ways.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 2

I'm usually indifferent about dwarves but I think there needs to be a dwarf companion to add to the roster.

We've already got 2 godlike and 2 elves (that wield rapiers), 2 humans, an aumaua and an orlan. Maybe a barbarian/priest of Ondra or something, given we've the water theme.

Ydwin isn't my cup of tea. Seems too anime fan-servicey and I'm predicting some Hermione Granger know-it-all personality to boot with a slightly aloof 'I'm creepy' vibe. I probably won't take her or kill her if she isn't greatly different to what her picture suggests in terms of personality.

• Like 1

Ydwin isn't my cup of tea. Seems too anime fan-servicey and I'm predicting some Hermione Granger know-it-all personality to boot with a slightly aloof 'I'm creepy' vibe. I probably won't take her or kill her if she isn't greatly different to what her picture suggests in terms of personality.

My thoughts exactly when I saw her concept art. Her hairdo fills me with rage.

• Like 1