Favourite New Companion/Sidekick  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which new companion/sidekick are you most looking forward to?

• Xoti AKA Peasant Girl turned Sickle-Wielding Priestess
    • Maia Rua AKA Eagle-Wielding Big Sister
    • Tekēhu AKA ??? Godlike Aumaua
    • Serafen AKA Pirate Orlan with Hand-Cannon
    • Ydwin AKA Bespectacled Pale Elf with Corpse Obsession
    • Radora AKA Drunken Mage Sea Captain
    • Bonteru AKA Explorer Dwarf with Passion for Poison
    • Rekke AKA Happy Fighter who Speaks Gibberish
    • The Sentient Weapon

Confirmed that he's godlike but the type may still be in question

athame godlike

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or at least confirm the spelling of his name. I thought you alluded to it being close, but "Takehu" seems to have spread around the web at this point.

Sorry, I am only authorized to tease. Anything more and Aarik will come after me.

Though, I think Josh spelled it somewhere recently...!

• Like 2

Companions seriously lack an innate priest, only Xoti is an option. I hope she's more likable than Durance was, I only had him in my party because there was no other options. I'm not really into multiclassing, but I guess someone will have to take that role if she's gonna be annoying.

Also, why Ydwin, the pale elf was chosen as the last companion? Weren't people asking for a dwarf companion?

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

Sorry, I am only authorized to tease. Anything more and Aarik will come after me.

Though, I think Josh spelled it somewhere recently...!

Alas... I cannot find it anywhere...

Companions seriously lack an innate priest, only Xoti is an option. I hope she's more likable than Durance was, I only had him in my party because there was no other options. I'm not really into multiclassing, but I guess someone will have to take that role if she's gonna be annoying.

Also, why Ydwin, the pale elf was chosen as the last companion? Weren't people asking for a dwarf companion?

I think it's a very safe bet that she'll be more likable than Durance.

If we assume that Takehu is chanter/druid and Xoti is priest/monk, then all classes and races are represented at least once.

• Like 1

I am fairly surprised Xoti isn't getting as much love. Seems pretty chill - could knock down a few beers with.

C4pOgzwUcAA3yKu.jpg

• Like 6

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Out of the actual full companions?  Serafin and Maia tied, though probably a bit more for Serafin if I'm honest.  Including the sidekicks?  The dwarf man, stumpy love!  Least favourite?  Takehu, for some reason he just doesn't do anything for me, I kinda feel that he brings nothing to the table as a person.  Maybe once I get to learn more of him, but right now the pictures of him are actually off-putting and annoying for some reason.

Maybe someone from Obsidian will see this poll and talk some sense into Josh... everyone wants Ydwin, just cancel those 4 sidekicks, yes, they are somewhat cool but I'm quite sure that almost everyone would prefer a fully companion than 4 sidekicks...

Speak for yourself, many of us actually like those sidekick concepts and see it as the best chance we get for them.  Personally I would rather see them drop Ydwin and do the dwarf as the 8th companion instead but I'm sure you wouldn't like that. :p

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Maybe someone from Obsidian will see this poll and talk some sense into Josh... everyone wants Ydwin, just cancel those 4 sidekicks, yes, they are somewhat cool but I'm quite sure that almost everyone would prefer a fully companion than 4 sidekicks...

Well, 21 people are excited about Ydwin as a companion or as a sidekick. That's what the poll is telling us so far.

The sidekicks are a good idea. A lot of people have been requesting more companions since the original PoE kickstarter. The sidekicks will be similar to the BG2 companions and give more options to build a party. 

Bonteru disagrees.

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I still don't get why anyone would want 20 super thin and superficial companions when we could have a handful of really meaty ones with lots of content and things to say instead. But that's just my opinion.

No dwarf, no game.

• Like 3

They discussed this in the recent interview. They say that the sidekicks have less of a narrative arc. So instead of having some deep revelation about life while traveling with you, they'll just basically stay stable. But that doesn't mean they're uninteresting or superficial. There could still be really cool character concepts.

• Like 4

I voted for Maia Rua. I like her animal companion, her portrait and background with huana origin. I hope she's going to be interesting character as she's Kana's sister and loyal Rautaian. I wanted to choice Takehu but we know nothing about him yet. I don't like Ydwin for her appearance, she looks too 'modernly'.

I still don't get why anyone would want 20 super thin and superficial companions when we could have a handful of really meaty ones with lots of content and things to say instead. But that's just my opinion.

No one is saying they want 20 super thin and superficial companions, the sidekicks are in addition to the companions and provide a bit more variety, including concepts you'd want but wouldn't get otherwise (Dwarf).

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

But that's not what's happening. It's more like a choice between 10 fleshed out companions, 20 more basic companions, or 10 fleshed out companions and 10 more basic companions. I'll *always* take the latter.

The sidekicks weren't my favorite goal, but I've kind of come around to the idea. I suspect they'll give the game more freedom when it comes to the other seven or eight companions. Some people will be starting the game without the three companions from the first game, giving them fewer choices and possibly no choices besides either taking all four new companions or adding some adventurers to fill their party. I could see that creating some pressure to be conservative when it comes to companion personalities or closing off interesting relationship developments like a companion leaving the party. It seems like the sidekicks might ease some of that pressure and provide more freedom to be a bit polarizing when it comes to some companions.

Also, as much as I like the idea of an eighth companion, I'm reminding myself that reading descriptions of characters hasn't been a perfect way of predicting if I'd like them in game. Right now Maia interests me the most because of her connection with Kana and a fondness for the bird ranger concept, but I think it's entirely possible she'll drive me nuts and that Rekke will charm me despite his lack of comprehensible dialogue.

Edited by eselle28
  • Like 2

They're not super thin, they're just not as developed as the other companions.  I don't know why people keep saying this even though Josh Sawyer keeps stating the opposite.

• Like 2

Max Stirner.

Not Slavoj Zizek? I'm disappointed.

I am fairly surprised Xoti isn't getting as much love. Seems pretty chill - could knock down a few beers with.

Yeah, everyone's been caught on the Ydwin craze, but I fail to see the appeal. It seems a bit out of place to me. Xoti, on the other hand, looks like very well integrated with the main story, and her interactions with Edér are bound to be interesting. And yeah, that concept art makes her look really cool.

So far Maia Rua and Xoti are the most interesting to me, but there's not enough information to decide that just yet.

• Like 3

Max Stirner.

Not Slavoj Zizek? I'm disappointed.

Yeah, everyone's been caught on the Ydwin craze, but I fail to see the appeal. It seems a bit out of place to me. Xoti, on the other hand, looks like very well integrated with the main story, and her interactions with Edér are bound to be interesting. And yeah, that concept art makes her look really cool.

So far Maia Rua and Xoti are the most interesting to me, but there's not enough information to decide that just yet.

Yeah, out of the full companions Serafin, Maia, and Xoti are the most interesting to me (in that order), while Ydwin and Takehu are bottom and give off a special snowflake vibe to me.  Naturally this is just based on what little information we got at the moment.

Yeah, out of the full companions Serafin, Maia, and Xoti are the most interesting to me (in that order), while Ydwin and Takehu are bottom and give off a special snowflake vibe to me.  Naturally this is just based on what little information we got at the moment.

It's Serafen, everyone's misspeling him for some reason.

Just show me the nearest sacrifice pool so I can throw Takehu inside. I blame HIM for no-dwarf policy to start with.

Ydwin is OK, imo.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 2

I think Xoti suffers in polls like these from hailing from the country we've just spent hundreds of hours exploring and from coming across as a bit of an everywoman. Being human probably doesn't help.

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being very popular once the game is released for those same reasons. Characters who don't have extreme personalities can wear better over hundreds of hours than challenging ones, and I'm guessing her connection with the Dyrwood will lead to some interesting conversations. Edér, who seems like her mirror, isn't all that interesting if you try to describe him in a few sentences either, but it seems like he has his share of fans.

Edited by eselle28