Stretch goal suggestion re:crew

I'm really hyped that we get our ship, open exploration and ship to ship combat. All that is terrific, I was hoping for it from the start and I'm really happy to see it confirmed. However yesterday during the live-stream, Josh and Bobby said something that I'm not so happy about regarding the crew. They said that basically your companions were your crew and that there wasn't any crew system beyond that.

Now, I felt that the weakest point of the stronghold in PoE1 was that there was basically nobody there except for the hirelings and some visitors who didn't have anything to say and were just standing around. I hoped that Obsidian would remedy that in PoE2 by letting us hire, manage and, most importantly, get to know (as in talk to and learn a bit about) our crew. Seems there aren't any plans for this. 

So, since there are a few "empty" stretch goals now between 4 and 5 million, maybe one could be something like this: we can meet some npcs on our travels and hire them as specialized crew members on our ship. There could be a navigator, a sailmaker, quartermaster, bosun, gunner, carpenter and so on, all of them improving a specific aspect of the ship and having some backstory and something to say here and there. I think something like that would help a lot to make the ship feel more lively. As it is I'm worried that the ship might suffer from the same feeling of emptiness as Caed Nua. 

• Like 9

The idea is good and I agree with you. But ship is smaller then stronghold and I'm afraid that additional crew other than companions and sidekicks would simply be too much. Look at the deck - there are only companions and PC and it's already quite crowded.

pillars-deadfire-night-ocean-ship-ign-ex

• Like 2

The owls are not what they seem.

I don't think we'd need many NPCs but a really small dedicated ship crew to at least handle the worst of the grunt work and whatever else. I really like the idea

So like 11 or 12 companions and sidekicks depending on if we hit the last stretch goal and you recruit them all plus like 4 or 5 crew NPCs. Doesn't seem too bad

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

The way I see the crew breakdown:

Maia Rua: Sailing Master/Pilot

Radora: Master's Mate/Quartermaster

Sarafen: Boatswain/Gunner

Rekke: Bostswain's Mate/Gunner's Mate

Everyone else: Landlubbers

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well Bioware just told us, that the ship in Mass Effect Andromeda will feature Natalie dormer as the ship doctor. Coincidence? I think not. It's a direct challenge to OE for making the best ship crew! Time to man up OE!

• Like 2

There was something in the Update about getting new hulls and other customisations, including being able to steal other ships. So it's possible we could commandeer a galleon at some point and have a bigger, more customisable crew.

Either that or a Monkey Island 3 recruitment quest and ensuing sing-song.

• Like 2

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

I was just trying to figure out about how big of a crew a 10 gun ship of at least 120 feet (guestimating here) would need

PS not that it needs to be very realistic

Sorry, I left my Pirates! - game manual at home.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There was something in the Update about getting new hulls and other customisations, including being able to steal other ships. So it's possible we could commandeer a galleon at some point and have a bigger, more customisable crew.

Come on party! Let's go track down that god!

We will bravely go where most Kith fear to trod!

We're trouble some corsairs!

And we're here to loot your treasures!

We would shoot you on the downbeat...

but we have to rest five measures!

A pirate I was meant to be!

Trim the Sails and roam the sea!

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 3

I was just trying to figure out about how big of a crew a 10 gun ship of at least 120 feet (guestimating here) would need

PS not that it needs to be very realistic

Sorry, I left my Pirates! - game manual at home.

with that sail plan, a two-man crew would be sufficient to actual sail.  is all the other stuff which would require extra bodies.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Come on party! Let's go track down that god!

We will bravely go where most Kith fear to trod!

We're trouble some corsairs!

And we're here to loot your treasures!

We would shoot you on the downbeat...

but we have to rest five measures!

A pirate I was meant to be!

Trim the Sails and roam the sea!

Someone posted a youtube clip of that a few weeks ago and since then i can't get it out of my head...

• Like 1

Yeah! Updated my pledge from 29$ to 31$! No we got the 8th companionin our pocket!

Edit: Hah! Posted before seeing there's a 17th update already! Ydwin looks a very compelling companion! Hope we get the SG!

My pledge in a nutshell:

$45 premium digital: "naaw dawg, ain't gonna spend more than that"

$65 ultimate digital: "aw hell no, can't resist something like that"

$85 ultimate digital with DLC: "Obsidian why you do this"

But then there's $5 discount, at least.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Frankly, I've yet to play with an intelligent weapon that I really liked. For some reason they all seem to be made psychotic in nature, and hence quickly become unappealing to play with. Couldn't we have one that is cultured and refined, like a well aged wine?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Frankly, I've yet to play with an intelligent weapon that I really liked. For some reason they all seem to be made psychotic in nature, and hence quickly become unappealing to play with. Couldn't we have one that is cultured and refined, like a well aged wine?

It's been well said: "I don't know what you're expecting, but as a sword I'm pretty one-dimensional in what I want!" 

No but seriously, I hear what you're saying. I hope they're going for some variety in personalities, at least.

Edited by mumbogumshoe

Here's a question: Let's say you do a solo run in PoE2 and so turn-down all companions. Does that mean you will run the ship single-handedly? It's one thing to run around by yourself, quite another to run a ship by yourself. In that situation, a few sailor NPCs might be nice.

Here's a question: Let's say you do a solo run in PoE2 and so turn-down all companions. Does that mean you will run the ship single-handedly? It's one thing to run around by yourself, quite another to run a ship by yourself. In that situation, a few sailor NPCs might be nice.

You needed NPCs guarding/manning Caed Nua to provide your security and prestige ratings which dictated guests, attacks and quests so I can't really see why they'd abandon that mechanic for what is essentially the same thing.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.