Why DLCs instead of expansion?

I can't think of a game in the past five years (probably longer) that has called its extra content "expansions". DLC is just the term used for all additional content these days. The White March parts I and II were called DLC.

What exactly Obsidian are planning I can't say (possibly neither can they yet), however I'd expect something similar to the White March i.e. a few fairly large DLCs.

• Like 3

Yeah, pretty much all expansions are DLC now because they don't need to make a whole seperate disk for them now so why would they?

We don't know what the DLC will consist of because Obsidian doesn't know themselves (or claim not to) at this point. Like really huge expansions aren't exactly common these days so I doubt we will see anything like that but the White March expansion packs were reasonable in my opinion. So maybe it will be something simmilar in length to that?

Expansions come in the forms of DLCs also. I suppose they used the term because they don't know exactly what they're gonna do yet so they went for the general title.

Hope they make a sequel-like dlc rather than a parallel one (like White March was).

Edited by Sedrefilos

I can't think of a game in the past five years (probably longer) that has called its extra content "expansions". DLC is just the term used for all additional content these days. The White March parts I and II were called DLC.

What exactly Obsidian are planning I can't say (possibly neither can they yet), however I'd expect something similar to the White March i.e. a few fairly large DLCs.

Look at the wording "expansion pass" instead of DLC.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/75481/

Edited by Archaven

I wasn't around for the project eternity campaign but apparently there was a simmilar add on or whatever for dlc, was it called the "expansion pass" when they did the campaign? Because it was only available to buy on Steam when they announced the white march expansion, so it makes sense to call it that there.

It's really just a another word that has become the industry standard. Which is fine, since it's a more flexible word. It can be small stuff and big stuff. The citidal dlc from ME 3, Heart of Stone, and Blood and wine from Witcher 3, were all tagged as DLCs. Even tho I remember maybe 3 "expansions" at max from the prior era, that can hold up to those. So who cares. 

• Like 5

It's really just a another word that has become the industry standard. Which is fine, since it's a more flexible word. It can be small stuff and big stuff. The citidal dlc from ME 3, Heart of Stone, and Blood and wine from Witcher 3, were all tagged as DLCs. Even tho I remember maybe 3 "expansions" at max from the prior era, that can hold up to those. So who cares. 

Was about to make this exact post!

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

It's really just a another word (...)  So who cares. 

Yeah, I mean you could call it "the Schnibble of Azimuth", for all I care.

You could call it that if that was the exact name of the expansion!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - The Schnibble of Azimuth :D

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

The White March parts I and II were called DLC.

No, it was *very* definitely called an expansion. in fact, Obsidian was very upfront about their dislike of modern companies DLC habits during that process.

My mistake. Still, I doubt the use of the term DLC signifies anything, but we'll see I guess.

Love the idea, but I'm afraid that the SIERRA people wouldn't like it ;)

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Love the idea, but I'm afraid that the SIERRA people wouldn't like it ;)

Yeah, this about the game where they named their ship the Defiant. :p

• Like 1