Ydwin/Ydwen (spoiler?)

Interesting point! But Ydwin's backstory (as stated in the update) seems to indicate she's some kind of eccentric doctor who likes examining corpses. That doesn't strike me as the type of person who would be a saint, or have a sword named after them. A co-incidence?

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Nice catch.

It could be just coincidence, however 1:1mln chance happens 9/10 times.

I have hopes for Ydwen.

Maybe she is related to legendary hero. That is some start for backstory. In Eora you can share not only blood but also soul.

Or she was named after great sain as good omen, but girl gone own path. Not sinner nor sain, but a bit of both and things blown up.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

In fact, MANY people in our own world are named after saints (using variant spellings) without sharing any characteristics with that particular saint. They bear their name because of fashion or their parents liking the sound of it.

I remember when I was in high school a lot of girls were called Katherine, Katrin, Caterina, etc.

One day a teacher came in and asked them if they even knew they were named after a holy woman who was tortured to death in ancient rome. They looked at him in pure shock.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Naming Ydwin after a saint (using a variant spelling) makes the world Eora with its history and languages feel very much believable and alive ... at least in my eyes and ears.

• Like 2

In fact, MANY people in our own world are named after saints (using variant spellings) without sharing any characteristics with that particular saint. They bear their name because of fashion or their parents liking the sound of it.

I remember when I was in high school a lot of girls were called Katherine, Katrin, Caterina, etc.

One day a teacher came in and asked them if they even knew they were named after a holy woman who was tortured to death in ancient rome. They looked at him in pure shock.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Naming Ydwin after a saint (using a variant spelling) makes the world Eora with its history and languages feel very much believable and alive ... at least in my eyes and ears.

Excuse my terribly bad knowledge of the lore, but who in Eora decides who deserves to be a saint? Are there churches or other religious groups whose leaders decide so, like in irl? Or is it like a folkish hero cult more akin to pre-christian religions?

Excuse my terribly bad knowledge of the lore, but who in Eora decides who deserves to be a saint? Are there churches or other religious groups whose leaders decide so, like in irl? Or is it like a folkish hero cult more akin to pre-christian religions?

That is an excellent question who "sainted" Ydwen?

(good points btw stargazer)

:?)

Good points. The problem comes in with narrative conservation of detail and audience expectations. It's a variant of the coconut effect. When people engaging in media encounter a character whose name resembles either another character or somebody pointed out in the background lore, the audience tends to *expect* a relationship between the two. This doesn't apply to any single individual, but you can take it as a given fact that a certain (large) percentage of the audience will have that expectation.

What you do with that expectation is what makes the difference between a well-written story and a badly written one. Somebody with talent can subvert or avert those audience expectations in a way that leaves the audience wanting more; somebody with no talent will either go with what they audience expects, or attempt a change and end up pissing off said audience.

• Like 1

That is an excellent question who "sainted" Ydwen?

(good points btw stargazer)

:?)

I would imagine the Kind Wayfarers handed out the "Saint" title, given that was Ydwen's order.

• 4 weeks later...