Can we ditch the steward, please?

Its a stern now. Not a chair.

Could be the ship's figurehead. A thoroughly morose figurehead who is distraught about the fate of Caed Nua. She gets nauseous on the high seas, and off-color sea shanties sung by a troupe of drunken aumaua is the only thing that will lift her spirits. That and having the ship's cabin boy scrape the barnacles off her heaving bosom.

• Like 7

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Out of curiosity, was it her voice that bothered you or something else?

First, it seemed lazy. There are no people in Caed Nua except the guards. Second, it gives me too much of a science fiction vibe.

Bah! No fun!

Fair enough, I didn't feel the same way, although I didn't find her to be 'super freggin awesome' or anything either.  I thought she/it was fine..

In her defense, there was the dude stuck in that statue in Defiance Bay..

I kind of agree, the steward was okay for Caed Nua I guess, but Caed Nua got destroyed so she should be destroyed too to be honest.  Why can't you just have an actual ships crew that takes care of the ship when you aren't on it?

• Like 1

I kind of agree, the steward was okay for Caed Nua I guess, but Caed Nua got destroyed so she should be destroyed too to be honest.  Why can't you just have an actual ships crew that takes care of the ship when you aren't on it?

There should just be the option to throw the chair in the ship's closet and have a crew manage the ship for all you haters out there...

... Or at least be able to interact with either to manage your affairs and a scripted interaction to have the chair above deck, or below deck, or in the closet, etc...

My first thought when I heard that Caed Nua was going to be destroyed was that the poor Steward would be crushed (both literally and figuratively).  I'm glad she gets to come along with us.

Honestly though, she's an example of how animancy works in the setting, and she's useful.  I got no problems with her being part of the team.

• Like 9

Out of curiosity, was it her voice that bothered you or something else?

She bothered me because:

a) She functions like an in-game PoE cell-phone app. Notification: Building complete! Notification: Attack incoming!

b) As teenparty said, she seemed a cheap excuse. I wanted to interact with a castle full of people, not a chair.

c) Not a huge amount of personality. I mean, her functionality stood out way more than her personality.

I would appreciate it if the giant statue stepped on her on his way out but I guess that won't happen...

• Like 2

She has effective mechanical functions for the game. Imagine having to go to each and every location at the stronghold to talk to people.

It's the same for companions hanging out at the inn, when it'd make most sense to have Kana at the library. It's because it's more effective this way.

I don't think she's going to as much of a nuisance this time, if it bothered you. This time you bring the stronghold with you wherever you go, pretty much, and probably won't have to have the "I must return to the [Fixed Location]".

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Some speaking characters the player can't kill are required in story-driven games. We're not big fans of just marking them immortal like most modern RPGs do it these days. That would be the lazy solution, IMHO. Yay, for animancy!

Sorry you don't like the Steward, though. Hopefully you do appreciate the freedom characters like these help provide. As always we appreciate the feedback and support.

-B

• Like 9

Some speaking characters the player can't kill are required in story-driven games. We're not big fans of just marking them immortal like most modern RPGs do it these days. That would be the lazy solution, IMHO. Yay, for animancy!

Sorry you don't like the Steward, though. Hopefully you do appreciate the freedom characters like these help provide. As always we appreciate the feedback and support.

-B

Thanks for the response. It's nice to know the design philosophy behind it.

• Like 1

First, let me say that I'm psyched about the new update. What I am less than happy about is the return of the Caed Nua supercomputer. Can't we please leave that damn talking chair in the rubble?

Bah! No fun!

I'm sorry, [charname], I'm afraid I can't let you do that.

• Like 3