They don't know yet what form the DLC will take. The add-on seems to be a an early-bird discount rather than access. You'll get it with everyone else, but it'll most likely be more expensive than 20$.

Consequentially, it's unclear if this encompasses all possible DLC or just a 'first wave' so to speak.

• Like 1

I don't think we know yet. For Poe1 Obs chose to split the DLC into to installments. But you only backed for the DLC essentially. When you backed the DLC you got both parts.

I think how Obs decides to handle dlc will come much later. I'd imagine the DLC addon counts for content about the size of TWM1&2. But Obsidian could decide to split up the Deadfire DLC differently. Or do two larger expansions, of which you only have reserved the first one.

I think we can be fairly sure that the eventual price tag of what you're getting will be $20 or more, not less.

In what form or shape the DLC comes, isn't known.

I'd ´guess that it's going to be an expansion like WM, not a bundle of Horse Armour and More Tattoos, though. ;)

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

To me, the guys at Obsidian have built up quite a bit of equity over 20 years, so I'll trust them.

I couldn't agree more. I believe that they'll do what they say. I just wanted a little clarity on what exactly they were saying by offering the 20$ DLC package, that's all, so that I'll know what I should believe about it. :) I think the answers I've gotten do a pretty good job of clarifying what exactly they are saying. They are offering at least some DLC for $20 now, and that will be at least $20 worth of DLC. If that's all they are promising, I'm not sure I'll do it. If I knew that the 20$ would be at least some sort of discount, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Perhaps a dev could clarify?

So it is confirmed that the $20 buys you a season pass.

​?

From the comments section on FIG update 16.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Probably not the best use of your money to plop $20 down for a completely unknown DLC to an unreleased game, when you'll probably lose $5 or $10 at most to buy later.

Probably not the best use of your money to plop $20 down for a completely unknown DLC to an unreleased game, when you'll probably lose $5 or $10 at most to buy later.

The same is arguably true of backing Deadfire at all though. I assume people will pay for the DLC for the same reasons they back Deadfire at all.

• Like 2

I added DLC to my PoE1 backing. Obsidian delivered. I'll take the risk, thank you very much.

+1

Plus, $20 for a season pass is ridiculously cheap. Added to the pledge; doubt I'll ever look back.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Could we please get a 3x DLC option to go with the "3 Extra Digital Copies" of PoE2??

It's weird that you wouldn't offer the add-on for the available core game keys..

Anyway, I'll toss in my 2 cents on whether the season pass is "worth it" - for PoE WM1+2 were $30 combined and they didn't go on sale for at least a year, IIRC the additional backer cost was $20.  So in a strict financial sense it was "worth it" if you would've wanted WM at 2/3 the retail price.  You can, of course, layer on more esoteric reasons to add or subtract from the value of pre-buying, ultimately it comes down to individual opinion.  Personally, if I'm going to buy it later anyway, I'd rather just buy it now - it's easier, and helps get to the stretch goals that I'd like to see reached.

cheers,

-tid242

• Like 1