I have a request/idea for the developers regarding the companions on the ship: when you go on the ship, it would be really great if the companions you don't currently have in your party are actually hanging out on the ship, and you can see them, go up to them, and talk to them like you can when they are in your party. And it would be even better if they are doing something useful (and fitting to their character), like Eder helping out with the rigging, or Maia Rua supervising the steering, or something.

It seems like such a small thing, but that's the thing I wanted the most in the original PoE -- I really wanted to walk around Caed Nua and see Eder supervising the planting of some wheat, or Kana debating or performing in the forum. (Also some more random NPCs in the castle/on the ship, sitting in the forum watching, maintaining the ship, etc., would help.) The reason is that I long to feel connected to the companions who are not currently in my party, which is really hard to do as things stand. Seeing them in the stronghold would make me feel like they are a part of a community that I was building.

Interestingly, I think this is the most important change of all that I'd like to see, based one what I didn't like about PoE 1. That's pretty good evidence that I really liked PoE 1, I guess. :)

• Like 7

While I don't want to make assumptions, I find it hard to think they won't do this.

It begs a question though. If all the companions that aren't in your party are on the boat, and you encounter a raid on the seas. Does that mean every companion is present for that encounter? Seems plausible. Maybe you don't control the one's that aren't in your party or something?

• Like 2

It begs a question though. If all the companions that aren't in your party are on the boat, and you encounter a raid on the seas. Does that mean every companion is present for that encounter? Seems plausible. Maybe you don't control the one's that aren't in your party or something?

There look to be cannons on the ship, so presumably the extra companions are below decks firing during the approach.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Technically, in a sloop, the gun deck is on the main deck.

I'm sure you're right, but I was just going by the image in update #16.

Ed.: Actually, that looks a bit like a Cog.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

I'd rather see Eder ubiquitously retching over the side.

2-second animation w/ sound on loop.

"Hell's bells! *wretch* Hell's bells! *wretch*"

• Like 3

I hope this happens. It seems like an obvious thing.

The stronghold was huge, so you could argue they were hanging out somewhere out of sight, but they shouldn't be able to hide on a little boat like that,

They were hanging out at the upper floor of Brighthollow. You could talk to them there too.

I believe Josh answered this question at the Q&A today too, he said all companions would be acting as the ship's crew. Or something to that effect. So yeah! They'll be visible. :)

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I agree, it would have been alot more "impactful" if when you fixed a building it started to get used instead of just being a mechanical bonus.

Also hoping for some "ship-wide" equipment/inventory system. It's such a pain to cycle through active and inactive member to keep equipment up on everyone (I tend to cycle through companions)

If possible I would love it that instead of having to stop what I'm doing to resolve attacks on my ship the characters still on the ship should be able to do so (under my control), really drove home that the other companions/adventurers were just in a random limbo instead of at the base.

Edited by Failedlegend
  • Like 1

I have a request/idea for the developers regarding the companions on the ship: when you go on the ship, it would be really great if the companions you don't currently have in your party are actually hanging out on the ship, and you can see them, go up to them, and talk to them like you can when they are in your party. And it would be even better if they are doing something useful (and fitting to their character), like Eder helping out with the rigging, or Maia Rua supervising the steering, or something.

It seems like such a small thing, but that's the thing I wanted the most in the original PoE -- I really wanted to walk around Caed Nua and see Eder supervising the planting of some wheat, or Kana debating or performing in the forum. (Also some more random NPCs in the castle/on the ship, sitting in the forum watching, maintaining the ship, etc., would help.) The reason is that I long to feel connected to the companions who are not currently in my party, which is really hard to do as things stand. Seeing them in the stronghold would make me feel like they are a part of a community that I was building.

Interestingly, I think this is the most important change of all that I'd like to see, based one what I didn't like about PoE 1. That's pretty good evidence that I really liked PoE 1, I guess. :)

Companions and sidekicks should also randomly talk to each other while on the ship, similar to the way that banter in PoE1 works when you enter an area/city.  It would make the the ship feel more alive.  

Edited by Bill Gates' Son
  • Like 2

They were hanging out at the upper floor of Brighthollow. You could talk to them there too.

Are you serious? I played through the game like 5 times and never noticed this.

Seriously, all true.

EDIT: Same goes to the custom adventurers, they hang out in the barracks.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

When in port, my idle companions and sidekicks ought to go out as a roving press gang to crew up my sloop.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That happened already in Tyranny, you could go and talk to any of your companions, they were all atop the spire you were currently visiting. So I think it would be obvious to do the same in PoE2 and I would be very happy to see this implemented :)

The owls are not what they seem.

If our "stronghold" is moving about, I suppose we won't have the random visitors like we did in the PoE Stronghold. Also, presumably, no vendors. Maybe though we can have some crafting experts?

I have always gotten a kick out of how castles and fortresses in RPGs never actually function like fortresses. In Dragon Age it was almost a running joke about how the doors to castles were never closed when they were attacked, the bad guys just ran in the door and you fought them in the courtyard. This happened with the stronghold in PoE of course with you having these big walls and gates you spent money on yet all the battles were either fought inside the walls or even inside the keep.

In the ship-to-ship combat in the ship video we have two ships locked together with some kind of wooden bridge device. Now if our ship was some kind of medieval or Roman Empire type ship that would make some sense, but surely in an era where both ships have guns pointing out of their hulls this makes no sense. I guess RPGs just don't work with anything but squad-on-squad infantry combat on a flat field.

Edited by Valmy