In POE1, friendly fire incidents make allied NPCs turn hostile. It's way too easy to make this happen and it doesn't make sense.

Example. I sided with Mestre Verzano and fought the Doemenels to protect him and save his life. Without my intervention, Mestre Verzano would have been butchered by the Doemenels. He was begging for his life, pleading with me to save him. So I attacked the Doemenels when they showed up to kill Verzano. But due to a friendly fire incident -- I think Aloth might have sneezed on Verzano -- Verzano turned hostile and backstabbed me.

It was hilarious, frustrating, and utterly nonsensical. Please fix this. Make NPCs in POE2 a bit more forgiving, for the love of Eothas. Thanks.

Edited by Hebruixe
  • Like 2

In POE1, friendly fire incidents make allied NPCs turn hostile. It's way too easy to make this happen and it doesn't make sense.

No, it makes complete sense. But perhaps a plausible alternative would be to have them make a morale check and, if they fail, turn fearful and flee the battlefield.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't have a problem with needing to avoid hitting allied NPCs - it makes some sense.  It would, however, be nice if they would avoid charging headlong into an existing AOE DOT field.  There have been times I've been very careful to avoid hitting them with anything, but then they seem to think it's a good plan to walk into a DOT area, start taking damage, and get angry.

​Oh - editing here to add that sometimes it happens even after a battle is over.  I used AOE DOTs because no allied NPCs are there.  Last enemy goes down, battle finishes, and some allied NPCs appear and walk over (I didn't know they would), run over into the still-running DOTs, and get mad at me.

Edited by demeisen
  • Like 2

It's bad AI design. Having an ally mindlessly turn into an enemy is unrealistic and stupid. If it's not clear why, read my example in the original post.

Good AI design would make an NPC aware of whether the friendly fire incident was his fault (by stupidly wandering into the fire) or a deliberate betrayal by the player (by recognizing being singled out and purposely targeted). 

Good AI design should allow the player to "apologize" if needed -- whether in dialogue or simply by clicking an apologize button.

Good AI design should recognize the NPC's circumstances and adjust their behavior accordingly. An NPC like Verzano should realize that turning hostile against the player (his savior in that situation) is suicide. He depends on the player to save his life. Turning hostile is totally out of character for Verzano. So he should be much more forgiving toward the player. Not all NPCs need to be like Verzano. But their AI should be in character with their scripted personalities.

I know it's possible to play the game "more carefully" in a way that bypasses these horrible AI glitches. But that doesn't make bad AI good AI. It's still awful. And I hope they change it in POE2.

• Like 1

Obsidian has made an encounter with unique challange and people complain.

BTW in POE2 you will be able to retarget (at least some) spells.

I'm all for unique and intelligently written encounters. But there's nothing intelligent about Verzano's petty and suicidal betrayal of the player.

Edited by Hebruixe
  • Like 1

Obsidian has made an encounter with unique challange and people complain.

BTW in POE2 you will be able to retarget (at least some) spells.

A "unique challenge" can still suck, you know. Unique isn't a synonym for "fun" or "awesome". This particular encounter can be very frustrating.

Example. I sided with Mestre Verzano and fought the Doemenels to protect him and save his life. Without my intervention, Mestre Verzano would have been butchered by the Doemenels. He was begging for his life, pleading with me to save him. So I attacked the Doemenels when they showed up to kill Verzano. But due to a friendly fire incident -- I think Aloth might have sneezed on Verzano -- Verzano turned hostile and backstabbed me.

So, roughly speaking, you went to the small room, you detonated a little bomb and now you're complaining that the owner of this place was a little bit upset and wasn't grateful enough, huh?

Imagine the same situation in real life - for this poor fellow you were just the same threat to his life as Doemenels were and his behaviour was absolutely right. He was just defending himself and was afraid of you cause of stupidity of the action you undertook.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 2

The owls are not what they seem.

I'm still not fond of the Monk class, even with the revisions in PoE. In AD&D, the class is a damage magnet, so it ended up consuming an inordinate amount of party healing resources. That's still true in PoE, and even though it is presented as a virtue for this class, it still seems to end up causing the party to need to rest more. But perhaps I played it wrong?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."