#Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream with Josh Sawyer and Lead Designer Bobby Null

Aarik, 

You guys used to post the Kickstarter updates on the announcements and news sections of the Pillars 1 forums. Are you going to eventually do the same over here? This way, the community will have a consolidated place to castigate politely discuss the items for each update.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

IIRC the beta for PoE 1 saw a lot of back and forth interaction between developers and players. There were a lot of bugs that got fixed and stuff that got polished. Sure, the game released still rough around the edges but that's to be expected given the context (new engine, game mechanics, and setting to build from the ground up; new development tools to familiarize with; new pipelines to establish; budgetary constraints.)

This time around I'll break my no-Steam policy and actively partake the Deadfire beta :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

OK, with Boeroer, MaxQuest, Andrea and me in the beta, PoE2 will be fantastic :)

I just play the game (on normal or hard) and report everything I find.

There was exactly one time where I used a console command: In BGT (BG1+2 combined) I saved and loaded a lot on the werewolf island. This produced the infinite stacking bug (of werewolf regeneration) and so the boss was fully healed a moment after I hit him with the stronges attack I could possibly make. There was no fair way to kill him. I still feel bad because of this.

Do you search through the code when you want to find out how things work?

Now I need to finish TToN before the beta starts. I will start after the next patch comes out (PoE1 told me: never play at release day) and I am a really slow player.

• Like 3

:)

I don't look into the PoE code. I'm looking into code all day and don't want to do it in my free time. ;)

I just like to try out things, mostly weird ideas. I also did that when I played Pen & Paper RPGs since I was 16 or so.

A lot of times a description sounds meh or a talent or ability seems to be underpowered - but with the right circumstances it can turn into game breaking stuff. One example is the cipher/retaliation combo (nerfed now) that turned out to be OP once you were able to stack multiple retaliations. There was no need to attack by yourself anymore and could spam cipher powers all the time without the need to regain focus with your weapon.

Another example (it's still in the game) is Spelltongue + carnage + buffs.  I don't think you can find a lot of such things if you're looking into code. But sure as hell I don't know what's really going on half of the time - because I don't check the code how it works. I only know it works somehow in the game and that it's fun. :)

I know MaxQuest and Loren Tyr (sad he isn't around any more) have insight into the code and know in depth what's going on under the hood. They also made some very useful suggestions how to fix certain bugs and so on.

And OBS should really listen to AndreaColombo's style consulting. And put a reference to the LoP into PoE2! ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nope, sorry. But we could do "Painful Punctuation" as a special spell for a multiclass combination of Chanter & Priest of Wael... ;)

Although Bovine Intervention is a funny wordplay I have to admit - and there where a lot of mushrooms in PoE1.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

Was the pig the only domesticated farm animal we saw in PoE?

There are cows in Gilded Vale...

Chickens are mentioned a number of times and in WM, theres a horse by the slave trackers.

There's also horses at the start of the game at the campsite.