Would love to see some more exotic races explored as companions in POE2. For example an outcast Vithrack, or really any other sentient "monsters" with an unexplored culture.

One of my fondest memories from Planescape torment was getting to know Da'kkon and the ways of his people via dialogue, and i would love to see something similar in POE2.

Besides, with all the adventuring parties running around now a days you really need a 20ft ogre or something to stand out from the crowd and get into the good taverns.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Vithrack seem like the most obvious race for this sort of thing, at least from the races we've seen so far. They're sentient but, more importantly, they seem to have intelligence around the same level as the kith races. I'd love to see a Vithrack Cipher (or perhaps some unique Vithrack psionic class), though I doubt we'll see one in Deadfire. Fingers crossed for PoE3 eh?

Of the other sentient races, Xaurips seem significantly less intelligent than kith races (though perhaps I am being speciest); Skuldr are definitely less intelligent (I am not sure they are even sentient); and spores only seem to achieve sentience once they become huge and multicoloured, and they tend to be real **** about it  :biggrin:

Ogres could work too. My feeling is that they are generally a little less intelligent than kith races on average, but close enough that a brighter ogre would be fine (perhaps I am being speciest again).

Also my concern about intelligence might not even be relevant. A Xaurip could make a fine comedy companion.

• Like 2

A Vithrack, being a hideous-looking creature, should send people scurrying for cover in any normal city. But perhaps they could hire on as a crewmate and stay hidden under decks when in port? A Vithrack cook serving beetle au jus, for example, with a side of filet of soul. I wouldn't mind a few oddball crewmates for hire with a decent level of interaction and maybe a quest or two.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I *LOVE* monster companions. In PnP games I play a monster myself about half the time. (The other half I play things like Tieflings and Mutants.) Sadly Obs doesn't seem too interested in doing it. We might get some monstrous crew hires for our ship like Korgak in PoE1, but that's all I would expect.

I *LOVE* monster companions. In PnP games I play a monster myself about half the time. (The other half I play things like Tieflings and Mutants.) Sadly Obs doesn't seem too interested in doing it. We might get some monstrous crew hires for our ship like Korgak in PoE1, but that's all I would expect.

They most likely won't do it for technical reasons.  Ogres like Korgrak is too big fit through doors.  And I think monster races like Vithrack don't have animations for every weapon

If I remember correctly, in NWN 1, one of the expansions (cameo in NWN2) you have a companion named Deekin who was a small dragon/xaurip... I did not like it because he became more of a comedy companion.. if we are going to have monster as companions I prefer them to be more like the newly announced side-kicks.

• Like 1

It is immoral that a mattress should have so much power […] glory to the mattress which nullifies a cannon

If I remember correctly, in NWN 1, one of the expansions (cameo in NWN2) you have a companion named Deekin who was a small dragon/xaurip... I did not like it because he became more of a comedy companion.. if we are going to have monster as companions I prefer them to be more like the newly announced side-kicks.

Deekin was a kobold bard.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Vithrack companion would be very cool. Also udead companions - fampyr or ghost. Ghost would be interesting, but limited only to the watcher (other could not see him, like GM in PoE1 was).

The owls are not what they seem.

Well, a suitably powerful Vithrack Cipher might be able to go unnoticed by all but the strongest minds in the area, much like Grieving Mother does.

I'm really hoping that they ret-con that kind of thing out.  If other (less wacky) Ciphers had GM's facility with effortless omnidirectional mind-control, it's hard to imagine what, outside of direct divine intervention, would stop such individuals from ruling the world in short order.  It threatens to break the verisimilitude of the setting. 

• Like 2

Deekin was a kobold bard.

That he was, did not remember what he was :) . But he felt like a comic figure, and his voice... uugh terrible :p

It is immoral that a mattress should have so much power […] glory to the mattress which nullifies a cannon

I'm really hoping that they ret-con that kind of thing out.  If other (less wacky) Ciphers had GM's facility with effortless omnidirectional mind-control, it's hard to imagine what, outside of direct divine intervention, would stop such individuals from ruling the world in short order.  It threatens to break the verisimilitude of the setting.

That's a good point. Oh well, no Vithrack for me :(

They most likely won't do it for technical reasons.  Ogres like Korgrak is too big fit through doors.  And I think monster races like Vithrack don't have animations for every weapon

Yeah - Josh mentioned in one of the Twitch streams that although he'd like to add one, the monster races use different animation skeletons and so it'd be a lot of work to allow the weapons (and armour / capes / etc) to work with them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

There's apparently a demand for this, considering there's also a "freak companion" thread :p

Personally, I don't really care for a Vithrack. It would just sound like Grieving Mother. All Deeper and Holier-than-thou. 

Now, a brutish half ogre or xaurip with comical idiot dialogue might be fun. Kills-in-Shadow from Tyranny had me in stitches with her "rut, mate, slaughter" game... but I don't think PoE's serious tone is really suitable for that...

Edited by Heijoushin

no Vithrack for me

Maybe not a Vithrack cipher, although having them wonder around in a heavily hooded robe that they shed in combat ala Goris from Fallout 2 might work, but maybe a Vithrack druid that could shapeshift into a large spider wouldn't be too much of a stretch. From there you might be able to bluff people that one of your companions is a ranger and the Vithrack in spider form was their animal companion.

You know what would be really exotic for Obsidian?  Companions that survive the intro!  Seriously, NWN 2, PoE, they either all die or bugger off.  Amie, Bevil, and Kip could have been an awesome party.  Calisca and Heodon had more personality for their brief jaunt through the tutorial zone than most other games have for their protagonist.  A character that survives the tutorial in an Obsidian game?  Like damn unicorns!

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

You know what would be really exotic for Obsidian?  Companions that survive the intro!  Seriously, NWN 2, PoE, they either all die or bugger off.  Amie, Bevil, and Kip could have been an awesome party.

Bevil survived the intro.

He was not a companion later, but he did survive.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

You know what would be really exotic for Obsidian?  Companions that survive the intro!  Seriously, NWN 2, PoE, they either all die or bugger off.  Amie, Bevil, and Kip could have been an awesome party.

Bevil survived the intro.

He was not a companion later, but he did survive.

True, I did say "or bugger off" though technically it was the player who buggers off not Bevil.  I suppose I should say companions who stay as permanent party members past the intro, though of course that then invites people to point out characters that do just that... like Verse in Tyranny... I done it to myself!

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams