Only Positive Vibes Here Duuude

Deadfire was my favorite background lore location I read about in the first game. There's a book you can find where you read about monsters of the Deadfire Archipelago that describes these aquatic octopus-things that come out of the depths and attack sailors ships. I thought it was the most evocative, amazing thing I'd ever read.

I'm *REALLY* excited about this setting.

• Like 1

Yup, I'm stoked, I'd be happy for this franchise to continue long into the future. 

Obsidian, just so you know, as long as you're willing to keep pumping these out, I'll continue to back them.

/cheer.

• Like 2

Yup, I'm stoked, I'd be happy for this franchise to continue long into the future. 

Obsidian, just so you know, as long as you're willing to keep pumping these out, I'll continue to back them.

/cheer.

I hope with each one they need us less and less to back. Though I'd be happy that they continue to use the backer system because it not only improves the game to helps Obsidian get out from living from publisher to publisher. If they could start fully self-publishing one day that would be fantastic.

• Like 1

I'm just really excited for this game man.

Pillars of Eternity was the first game of its kind I've ever played, but was so easy to get used to.

I'm by no means an expert on the game, and it's not even my most played game, but it's definitely my favourite game

I've never backed a game before and never really liked the thought of doing it,

but as soon as I found the Fig for this thing I jumped at the opportunity to support.

I don't know when this game is gonna be finished, but I cannot emphasize how excited I am. 

• Like 4

I'm just really excited for this game man.

Pillars of Eternity was the first game of its kind I've ever played, but was so easy to get used to.

I'm by no means an expert on the game, and it's not even my most played game, but it's definitely my favourite game

I've never backed a game before and never really liked the thought of doing it,

but as soon as I found the Fig for this thing I jumped at the opportunity to support.

I don't know when this game is gonna be finished, but I cannot emphasize how excited I am.

Obsidian is already a year into development and are targeting March 2018.

PS

What IS Durance's other staff? A long stick that emits a hot projectile discharge? Couldn't it just be called Durance's Arquebus?

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What IS Durance's other staff? A long stick that emits a hot projectile discharge? Couldn't it just be called Durance's Arquebus?

I mean, it's sort of like that. It's certainly true that if you touch it correctly it discharges energetic projectiles.

That's assuming it's already primed. Sometimes it needs a blow. And you gotta make sure the ramrod gets in nice and deep.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I mean, it's sort of like that. It's certainly true that if you touch it correctly it discharges energetic projectiles.

That's assuming it's already primed. Sometimes it needs a blow. And you gotta make sure the ramrod gets in nice and deep.

This is the wrong analogy... ouch

Ow!

More positive vibes:

• Climbing (shown here and here)
  • Enemies jumping your ship during naval battles (shown here)
  • Water and quicksand slowing down movement and having a dedicated animation (see here)
  • Maia's animal companion—which I hope is unique and unavailable to player characters—looks pretty rad (shown here)

Hopefully there will be a unique spiritshift form for Tekehu as well.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hoo boy, there is a lot to like here for sure.

Open world map.

Open exploration.

Maritime theme.

Oceanian cultural influences. That's fresh. And cool.

Just about everything about Neketaka.

Improvements to visuals.

Improvements to performance -- that one clip where they had sixteen dozen spell effects on-screen at once which didn't slow it down f.ex.

Improvements to loading times.

Return of Edér, Aloth, and Pallegina -- good choices there.

Multiclassing, in particular the way it gives more party-building options while sticking with companion characters.

Keeping the scope and size roughly the same as in P1 but putting in more time and resources to do it, instead of just making a game twice as big.

Deeper companion interactions.

Mid-game based on New Vegas style faction mechanics instead of a scripted story, Obsidian knows how to do this really well.

• Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

- separate amulet/cloak slots

- going with more than 4 party member as 4 would be too limiting with huge number of options granted by multi/subclassing

- multiclassing

- openworldyness

- Xoti!

- random encounters

- more skills

- items specific to a class

- performance

• Like 2

Vancian =/= per rest.

Ah, yes! Trinket slot and separate cloak/necklace slots should have made it to my list of incline--along with alchemy, poison/explosive crafting, and reverse pickpocketing.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 weeks later...

New weapon lashes have spiffy VFX:

https://www.periscope.tv/jesawyer/1dRJZPPAWoQKB?t=5

• Like 2

Kana was my favorite companion from the first one. So sad when I learned he wasn't returning. But then I find out that I get to meet his sister! That's awesome -- actually deeper and better than just having Kana back! What a great developer decision.

That's pretty much my reaction too! I like Kana very much and was disappointed to learn he wouldn't come back, but if there's his sister it means we're still gonna hear from him. Who knows, he might be in the game as a NPC.

I'm also very happy to know Aloth and Eder are back, and Pallegina was also one of the characters I liked the most!

What makes it even better is that the only thing I felt was missing from the first game were deeper companion relationships (that is a VERY important aspect of games for me), so I was overjoyed to learn they would happen, and even more to be able to have it with my beloved Aloth and Eder.

Aside from that, the new animations look soooo awesome.

And last but not least: I FREAKING LOVE SEA, SHIPS, AND SEA MONSTERS.

Edited by Pinsalinj
  • Like 3

I'm excited about the setting, which feels fresh compared to that of many fantasy games. More skills sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing all of Aloth, Eder, and Pallegina again and getting to know them in a bit more depth due to the amped up companion relationships. My other favorite, Sagani, will not be, but that only makes sense. She deserves a happy ending with her family and it wouldn't make sense for her to traipse off to Deadfire. The new companions all seem pretty intriguing, and the the flexibility introduced by multiclassing and having some companions with two possible starting classes means that I'll be able to choose party members based on my PC's preferences rather than needing to consider each character's party role first and personality later.

• Like 2