Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stronghold suggestions

stronghold deadfire ship island sidekicks hirelings prestige security upgrades base

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Tanos

Tanos

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How about an economically sustainable keep? Caed nua had separate systems for income and expenses with income based on xp and expenses on game time. Upgrades and especially hirelings made matters even worse not better and was only sustainable due to the massive income from completing quests. It would probably be a good idea having both act on the same type of time-system.

• phimseto and Sonntam like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7733 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

have the blue tentacle head companion chanter do the pirate king.

HA! Good Fun!

• illathid likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How about an economically sustainable keep? Caed nua had separate systems for income and expenses with income based on xp and expenses on game time. Upgrades and especially hirelings made matters even worse not better and was only sustainable due to the massive income from completing quests. It would probably be a good idea having both act on the same type of time-system.

​The economy was rough in Dyrwood. The coastal nature of Deadfire makes it a far more lucrative hub of trade. I'd expect the funds to be less tight.

Orillion

Orillion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Also, Caed Nua pretty much rewarded you for taking several weeks out of your quest just to sit and let things get built; after all, if you were adventuring, you were probably passing turns, effectively missing out on rewards because you felt a sense of urgency.

Mixing a lower overall adventuring income with some form of a better sense of investment would be ideal, I think.

phimseto

phimseto

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ah yes, definitely adding in the bit about economics making sense. I got the idea that the Caed Nua numbers didn't quite crunch properly when calculating taxes and whatnot, a fact that was covered up by the fact players were usually rich with quest money.

• Sonntam likes this

Fardragon

Fardragon

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1456 posts

With a ship, buying and selling cargoes at each stop could be an option.

• injurai and kanisatha like this

Kirk

Kirk

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The one thing that bothered me most in PoE1's stronghold was that the companions I didn't have in my team weren't taking part in battles in stronghold or in the battle of Yenwood. It was strange and immersion breaking for me, because they were inside stronghold, but they didn't fight along with me against enemies. I hope that will change in second Pillars, no matter if we will have stronghold or ship.

• Sonntam and injurai like this

phimseto

phimseto

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hey Fardragon and Kirk, both great points. Will add them in.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5073 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Stronghold:

Personally, I'm hoping for something two-fold - a Tortuga-like island that is your actual base and of course your ship, both of which can be upgraded. You could use the ship upgrades to gate off areas of the map you don't want players to get to (ie stronger design upgrades to negotiate stormier areas or some such thing). The island would be where you conduct the vast majority of your traditional stronghold business. 

If there's going to be a Stronghold, then perhaps its strength could be based on something other than massive fortifications? Perhaps a well-hidden sea cave large enough for a ship to dock inside, connected with a labyrinth of limestone chambers, some of which were previously shaped into living quarters. A secret base would be more fitting for a party is trying to hide from (or become) sea pirates. Of course, finding a way to expand it without revealing the secret will prove difficult. But possibly the party could rescue a group freed slave craftsmen who will willingly labor there for food and living quarters.

PugPug

PugPug

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The important thing to me is how it works. I don't like the split "real time vs quest turns" system at all. Turns are finite, pressuring you to metagame, and if you don't complete quests fast enough your barracks payroll will bankrupt you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stronghold, deadfire, ship, island, sidekicks, hirelings, prestige, security, upgrades, base

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users