Yes, it's supposed to work like Wizard's Double, however I think it's bugged right now and it stays forever. But even if it worked like described that's how you're supposed to reduce damage - first make them graze most of the time and then apply the DR. 8DR against 100dmg doesn't make a big difference, but against 50dmg you feel the difference (especially if you already have 20-25DR from armor).

PS. Here's a video where you can see how I cleared the Stalwart village with my paladin using exactly this trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqUtYVvDlg&t=6s

Interesting video, Kaylon.

There were several things I didn't understand:

You took 3 food items at the start, but when I read the strategy guide to learn the game, I saw:

Food items (basic and recipe) can only be consumed outside of combat. They do not play an animation, but only one food effect can be on a character at a time. Thus, eating another food item replaces the effects of an earlier item if it is still in effect.

Is that guide wrong?

I also didn't understand why you always kept one enemy alive before engaging the next?

Was that to show off to do everything in one fight, or to keep spells running?

Interesting video, Kaylon.

There were several things I didn't understand:

You took 3 food items at the start, but when I read the strategy guide to learn the game, I saw:

Food items (basic and recipe) can only be consumed outside of combat. They do not play an animation, but only one food effect can be on a character at a time. Thus, eating another food item replaces the effects of an earlier item if it is still in effect.

Is that guide wrong?

I also didn't understand why you always kept one enemy alive before engaging the next?

Was that to show off to do everything in one fight, or to keep spells running?

The guide is wrong, you can have multiple food effects at a time (of course the weaker effect is suppressed if they affect the same stat).

I kept one enemy alive to stay in combat and not lose the buffs from the potions (I had a limited number and I think in this game version the ingredients were limited).