So because of Deadfire I've fired of PoE1 again. Making my Watcher, deciding on a Pale Elf. And there are so. Few. Portraits. Especially for female Pale Elves. There's literally two. Coastal Aumauas have it worse, with a single female portrait. 

So please, in Deadfire, give us tons of new portraits for the races unique to Eora. We can easily find a bajilion portraits for Humans or Dwarves. It's rough finding Pale Elf or Aumaua portraits. 

• Like 11

So because of Deadfire I've fired of PoE1 again. Making my Watcher, deciding on a Pale Elf. And there are so. Few. Portraits. Especially for female Pale Elves. There's literally two. Coastal Aumauas have it worse, with a single female portrait. 

So please, in Deadfire, give us tons of new portraits for the races unique to Eora. We can easily find a bajilion portraits for Humans or Dwarves. It's rough finding Pale Elf or Aumaua portraits. 

​Yes yes yes! I very much agree. I can get fiesty wanting more and better of everything. But I think stock portraits are an important thing to expand. Even though you only really end up using one out of the lot on each playthrough. Hopefully they carry over all the portraits from the last game just as they have done in BG2, which should help add even more choices.

​Allowing players to use custom portraits is cool, but I find I really enjoy the standardized art style. There are very few custom portraits that have the art style I'd want to use and even fewer to be found for a given race. Especially if you want an Orlan or Aumaua.

Completely agree

I've not used a custom one yet because the portraits are all really good but they are lacking in a few areas. For example while they did add some more godlike portraits there still isn't one for each of the godlike heads and they are changing them (or adding more) for the second game. So it would be nice to have at least one for each and a few more for some of the races like pale elves, Orlans and Aumauas. Wouldn't expect them to add as many as they did for the first game but a few more would be nice. 

I would definitely expect Deadfire to not only carry over any portraits already available in the first game, but also to offer at least as many new ones plus those ordered from backers (it would be a bummer if backer portraits were the only new ones.) You can never have enough portraits to choose from, and custom portraits never seem to fit the art style of the game and end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think with the special backer portraits plus the ones they would make for poe2 plus the ones they got for poe1 youll have a lot more portraits.

Dont forget. Already 40 personal portraits ordered by backers!

I hope the majority of new portraits won't be backer portraits. I didn't like them in poe1.

I would also love to see some better way of picking a portrait.

Clicking through each one of them is a chore.

lol, what kind of method would you like exactly?

I think with the special backer portraits plus the ones they would make for poe2 plus the ones they got for poe1 youll have a lot more portraits.

Dont forget. Already 40 personal portraits ordered by backers!

I hope the majority of new portraits won't be backer portraits. I didn't like them in poe1.

Which ones were the backer portraits in PoE1?

But yeah, I agree with the sentiments in this thread. A stretch goal to double the amount of portraits would have been cool.

• Like 2

Neverwinter Nights 1 done it nicely.

• Like 4

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Aah, Neverwinter Nights. There's something about the UI and that original menu theme that really resulted in the ultimate character creation experience. Even Baldur's Gate 2 didn't manage to be equal to it.

EDIT: Can anyone seriously say that this isn't the best character creation theme ever composed? ^^

Edited by Ninjamestari

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Use a scrollable icon bar -- have a bar along the bottom that shows multiple portrait icons at once. Drag the bar from side to side to show new icons. Click on an icon to show a full-sized portrait.  :huh:

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

In Tyranny it shows all the portraits and you can scroll down - at least when changing portrait mid-game, I can't remember how you pick it during char creation.

Edit: Checked on youtube and it's the same as mid-game. 0:50:

Edited by Nicze
  • Like 1