Because everybody loves sidekicks...

I have biggest problem with Rekke though. You saved him from flotsam and he doesn't speak a word of any language that anyone can understand. And he can become so well trained in combat and able to cooperate with the rest of the party and seems to understand instructions from the watcher so well. Kind of immersion breaking if you ask me.

Goddamn! Stop whining. I love this guy. Just stick with your romancable tea party and leave this guy to people like me, who honestly NEED him to still enjoy this game. If I ever read the term "immersion breaking" again, I'm going to kill a kitten.

Hear hear

They got a backorder of 750.000 left.

So we are already past 3.25.

I really have no idea what are you talking about. Care to elaborate?

EDIT: With sources, ofc.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Fine. Dont believe me. But if you think i will spend 1 sec doing work you could do yourself to answer a need you have... youre in for a real eye opener.

Peace in the middle east

• Like 4

An older version of the Invest page had an announcement (well over a week ago now) stating that the $2m allotted for Fig Funds were all claimed, and that further investors could only reserve spots on the backup list. Since then it got replaced with the "upped to $2.25m" thing, and that probably got grabbed up too by now. As for why this isn't reflected in the total, I've speculated about that on the previous page of this thread.

Edited by mph
  • Like 1

I guess the investment reservations have to be backed up first. And you also don't want a bad ratio of backers:investors. While the first ones are "cheap money" (just look how many ingame portraits were "sold"), the second ones can get really expensive so to speak.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sorry I don't understand were all this investment money everybody talks about coming from. I only see 2.8 mil of fig and seeing Obsidian reasching for the 3 mil milestone and advertising the 3.25 mil. If we're already past the 3.5 mil (as some suggest) why doesen't Obsidian says so?

I don't mistrust anyone, I just don't understand were this "extra investemnt funds" evrybody's talking about (speculating - again?) are coming from.

• Like 1

Bz it needs te be checked first.

A lot of rules for investment. You can read them on the fig page.

So it is unverified.

Ofc some will be disqualified. But others are waiting in line.

So its there ... waiting for approval.

Its not bz it isnt counted and ok that it isnt there

The reason they dont count except the above is to spur buyers into donating pledging backing bz the nice stretchgoals are seeping in and you got to SELL your game so people will BUY it.

They are making sure that they will get what they want. Money.

Bz you know... like... its a business XD

Its stupid to blow past 3 or 4 goals when you could drag people over the lines with those goals.

Also if the campaign lags in the middle of the period its running you push that investment proces faster so you could get stretch goals on a regular interval... keeping people interested curious and checking back daily to see how its going.

Its a little nitro in the engine when it needs it.

Then after its done and you got 1mill more... you can still look fo feedback or expand current stretch goals...

Likr an 8th companion if they got 250k more or an existing one: more levels below Caed Nua.

Could be a companion.

Could be more Fulvano islands exploration

Could be more portraits

Edited by Leeuwenhart
  • Like 2

I guess the investment reservations have to be backed up first. And you also don't want a bad ratio of backers:investors. While the first ones are "cheap money" (just look how many ingame portraits were "sold"), the second ones can get really expensive so to speak.

Maybe but I dunno about the ratio part since WL3's was over like 2.5:1 in favor of the investors and I think Consortium and Jay and Silent Bob were about the same or higher. Those were the only projects I've backed on Fig but looking at some of the other games it looks like Psychonauts 3 is the only one to pull more pledge money than investment or Fig fund* dollars

*Both names seem to be used but dunno if there is a difference or if the name was changed or what

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

• Each companion requires change in relationship tracker in old ones. more and more workload.
  • "Adventurer" fits better. No sidekick. No companion. No mercenary. No henchmen. No acolyte (that is cool title thou)
  • Sagani wasnt well developed, Calisca has fanclub, but Durance is annoying.
  • Somebody need to be normal so others could be special. There is always place for Dwarven barbarian. (try to denay)
  • Rekk is creative idea. Dwarf was asked for. Pale Elf Animancer is PoE uniq.
  • Some ideas are better if not over exposed. Good idea destroyed by adding too much. Or being just ok and not worthy companion status.
  • There are more adventurer ideas potencially good, like Vithrack cipher or Xuirp shaman. Or adventurer who is more on evil a-hole side.
  • Adventurers will have some related quest (not exacly personal), some barters, probably dialogues, backstory. Not bad in comparison to BG2.
  • There are still 7/8 big fat companions, and as many you like hires. It is addition not substitute.

EDIT: Far stretchgoal suggestion: 2nd 4pack with Adventurers, but this time somehow designed in cooperation with backers (smart way). Just ideas cant break Eora (no Eothas avatar).

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 3

So... it's speculation and/or nothing concrete. OK I'm gonna focus on the real evidence that is backer money as shown by Fig since, as I see it, this is what Obsidian counts as current funding ammount.

Its not spec...

They posted it...

What happened to the not mistrusting (=trusting) part? XD

• Each companion requires change in relationship tracker in old ones. more and more workload.
  • "Adventurer" fits better. No sidekick. No companion. No mercenary. No henchmen. No acolyte (that is cool title thou)
  • Sagani wasnt well developed, Calisca has fanclub, but Durance is annoying.
  • Somebody need to be normal so others could be special. There is always place for Dwarven barbarian. (try to denay)
  • Rekk is creative idea. Dwarf was asked for. Pale Elf Animancer is PoE uniq.
  • Some ideas are better if not over exposed. Good idea destroyed by adding too much. Or being just ok and not worthy companion status.
  • There are more adventurer ideas potencially good, like Vithrack cipher or Xuirp shaman. Or adventurer who is more on evil a-hole side.
  • Adventurers will have some related quest (not exacly personal), some barters, probably dialogues, backstory. Not bad in comparison to BG2.

Haayyy there Watcher...

I used to be an adventurer like you... but then i took an arrow to the knee.

Haha

Anyway... i like your summary.

Lets get back on track boys.

Sidekicktalk

I think the sidekicks might be replacing the mercenary hires.  Many people didn't like the whole "hire a guy/gal" concept because they had no personality, and were just murder bots really.  With "sidekicks" you get to have a character who is not as involved as a "companion", but still has some personality.  So it makes hiring extra characters much more interesting, and also gives the people who want more party options their flexibility without completely losing all character.

Also I like to think they all went through special companion training, and this is who greeted the side kicks at the end.

I think that's basically right, but the sidekicks are in addition to the mercenary/adventurer hires.

There will be the companions with big dialog trees and a connection to the main story (similar to PS:T companions), sidekicks with smaller dialog trees and a quest that is loosely tied (or not tied at all) to the main story (similar to BG and BG2 companions) and adventurers with no dialog and no quests (similar to IWD party members).

I don't know why they can't have any quests.  I feel that both Ydwin and Bonteru should have some sort of mini quest based on their story. Devil of Caroc's quest in WM1 was literally you talking to some guy and choosing between 2 decision.  Heck, a lot of characters in BG2 had quest where you just talked to one NPC.

I know Ropekid said that it takes a lot of time and budget to add content to companions, but surely it wouldn't be hard to add a simple quest similar to the quests I just mentioned.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

I don't know why they can't have any quests.  I feel that both Ydwin and Bonteru should have some sort of mini quest based on their story. Devil of Caroc's quest in WM1 was literally you talking to some guy and choosing between 2 decision.  Heck, a lot of characters in BG2 had quest where you just talked to one NPC.

I know Ropekid said that it takes a lot of time and budget to add content to companions, but surely it wouldn't be hard to add a simple quest similar to the quests I just mentioned.

​I think this is the idea. Sidekicks don't come with the promise of multiplicative reactivity which is based on the newly expanded relationship system.

• Like 1

I'm not excited about sidekicks since they're under-written, but I'm not against them either since Obsidian has basically written as many companions as they're going to write, so it's not like including these guys will detract from the part of the game I like. Plus, these sidekicks will be cheaper to make than more fully-written characters, but not just empty shells like the mercenaries you create hire at taverns last game. And it's a viable alternative for people who don't want whole backstories for their murder party. I'm game, even though I'm not excited and probably won't use them.t

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

OE might as well add even more sidekicks. Sample ideas:

Bad Luck Skaen - Skaen priest for who everything gone wrong, very disappointed in humanity in general, and hopeless. Always salty.  Just want to survive. Also punch in the face some pomponous nobles.

Real Charmer - Valian republics Rogue/CHanter. Street thief and tavern bard, also... terrific womennizer. Probably running away from some angry husband. Could be romance interest for female watcher, but that would be 1 time quick time event, after which all Deadfire will hear the song about watcher assets.

Vithrack Spy - Vithrack (monster race) cipher, interested in earthlings as something more than delicious cousine. Traveling to learn more, like Kana but with more chitin. It is also possible that he is a spy preparing intel before final Vithrack invasion. You may never know.

Big Bad Wolf - Druid/Barbarian who cant really control his shapeshift or rage, so just swap randomly during combat. Cursed after doing something horrible. There is a rumour that only true love of stockholme syndrome captive could free him. But killing the Beast could also work. Pick one.

Monster Hunter - Wayfinder Palladin who lost faith in human sense of justice and honour. And never knows which side is tight. So he travels among frontline colonist outpost and slays monsters for the coin. Like non humanoid monster. Every world needs the witchers.

Souleater - Prime class duelist (warrior cipher) who is said to be best in the Deadfire. Probably will try to challenge Watcher on duel. Bad thing is that he swallows the souls of defeted enemies. And consumes their fighting style. making him more and more powerful. And also absorvs their memories. And personality. Basicly he is mad and lost.

Bottle Swinger - Dwarven Barbarian Monk, always in good mood, and a bit drunk. Keeps bottomless mug which can heal him in exchange to precision (hic). Very creative when it comes to throwing bombs and insults upon enemies. Knows some good warstories which may be totally made up, or belong to someone else (like 1000 years old legend). We can confront him, and soulwalk into his past memories, and remind about his real glory. He will stop drinking then.

Return of the Devil - Devil of Caroc returns, and works as part time asassin. It is best to work at somethin you love. Like murder. Or she just want to collect enought gold to settle down, start own workshop, hire some sidekicks. Dark version: Kill local kingpin and take his place. Rule underworld with iron fist and bad puns.

Babe dont hurt me - teen firegodlike, wild mage or shaman, with attached fire spirit elemental devaour of the worlds. Inmature (you dont say) and childlish. Claustrophobic, cant take orphan closure. Also easy to anger and literally explode in fire. Can vie Watcher as parent figure.

Questline: She can travel with us, and we can leave her as acolyte in some wicked mage or druid. Oddball as her.

Maybe there are some better funny idea, which are not really worth companion slot, but are somehow interesting?

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

I have biggest problem with Rekke though. You saved him from flotsam and he doesn't speak a word of any language that anyone can understand. And he can become so well trained in combat and able to cooperate with the rest of the party and seems to understand instructions from the watcher so well. Kind of immersion breaking if you ask me.

I don't know.  How do mutes in real life get by?  You can't understand him, doesn't mean he can't understand you.  There is nothing immersion breaking about the character.  You don't even know when his "problem" started, it could be a fairly new thing.

• Like 1

I don't know.  How do mutes in real life get by?  You can't understand him, doesn't mean he can't understand you.  There is nothing immersion breaking about the character.  You don't even know when his "problem" started, it could be a fairly new thing.

am agreeing with karkarov.  not to be insulting, but dogmeat from fallout were, well, a dog. the construct and one-of-many were nwn2 companions with limited vocabularies. ed-e and rex from fallout: nv were less than loquacious.  am not gonna break into our usual "immersion" tirade, but we will observe how in spite o' the fact none o' the aforementioned companions were a favorite o' ours, they is common in black isle/obsidian games.  whatever were the shortcomings o' fo:nv or motb, the communication challenged companions functioning in combat were not a major issue.

lack o' verbal communication ain't an insurmountable challenge.

ei-vene?  as an aspect o' ravel, she were one o' the better npcs black isle ever wrote. do a sidekick-level companion who makes us forget ei-vene?  we would considerable increase our pledge for such.

oh, and just for fun...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There are obvious pros and cons to this "sidekick" situation, especially the blatant naming, and thus demarcation, of them. On one hand we are getting more life and choice thrust into the world/game in the form of fellow eager adventurers - which is awesome. On the other hand we have "gamified" characters in the sense that we kind of know what we are getting before we get it, which does kill some exciting suspense and surprise. We KNOW that these sidekicks won't have exhaustive stories and this fact may make us a bit dejected if we end up liking them as much as (or more) than the "companions". And we KNOW that if we choose these "sidekicks" instead of the "companions" that we are getting much less professionally tailored recruitable NPC interaction.

• Like 1

Maybe but I dunno about the ratio part since WL3's was over like 2.5:1 in favor of the investors and I think Consortium and Jay and Silent Bob were about the same or higher.

Thanks for the info. I was just guessing why they keep it around 50:50. :)

Sidekicks are an "extra". They are not here to replace the companions. They're something between mercenary and companions. Feargus already said that writing a full companions is expensive.

I'd love more companions as much as the next guy and I hope they make a stretch goal we reach and we get at least one more but I understand the decision they made and I hope it works out good, meaning very in-depth companions. Also, I'm not really excited by them but is not like you've got to mind them, just like the mercenaries in POE1.

This is not scraping companions and replacing them with sidekicks. This is intended to allow more flexibility but having a bit of personality unlike the mercenaries.

Exactly this. And I would like to add that these sidekicks are potential companions in expansions/sequels/other PoE related games. If one of the sidekicks gains a fanbase it's easy to bring him along as a fully fleshed companion the next time around.

It also allows them better opportunity to try out different characters they otherwise wouldn't have the resources/time to try out.

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

For somebody like me who likes to play those games several times with different party compositions, sidekicks are actually a great thing. Cheap enough to develop some of them but enough dialogues and banter to make then interesting. After the first or second playthrough I honestly give a shart about relationships and companion quests. That's when those sidekicks make a lot of sense. For my personal first playthrough they are not needed. So I guess most people who complain about this idea won't play the game more than once or twice - which is totally understandable then. For me: I love that sidekick idea, yes. It will be fun to develop different builds for each one.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6