Because everybody loves sidekicks...

For somebody like me who likes to play those games several times with different party compositions, sidekicks are actually a great thing. Cheap enough to develop some of them but enough dialogues and banter to make then interesting. After the first or second playthrough I honestly give a shart about relationships and companion quests. That's when those sidekicks make a lot of sense. For my personal first playthrough they are not needed. So I guess most people who complain about this idea won't play the game more than once or twice - which is totally understandable then. For me: I love that sidekick idea, yes. It will be fun to develop different builds for each one.

Since they are already adding sidekicks (if SG met.. but i don't see any reason why not?).. I would like that they give an option for players to "point buy" their attributes instead of devs hardcoding them? I'm not sure how attributes work this time. Are they the same as in Pillars1?

Since they are already adding sidekicks (if SG met.. but i don't see any reason why not?).. I would like that they give an option for players to "point buy" their attributes instead of devs hardcoding them? I'm not sure how attributes work this time. Are they the same as in Pillars1?

That is good suggestion, "wrongly" set attributes create alot of drama and salt.

If it could be somehow done, so adventures and mercenaries could have stat adjusted (but companions no) that would be great.

• Like 1

Sidekicks aren't a bad idea. Suikoden 5, admittedly a different type of RPG, had them - how they'll work (presumably) is that by having them with you, they convey different bonuses. What's more, they will (also presumably) provide additional reactivity to events in the game world. My only suggestion to Obsidian would be to amend the quest issue: maybe they don't need the long dialogues that mark party characters, but once you've obtained a sidekick, there should be at least one quest out there in the world for them for you to encounter and experience with them as one of your party members. For some of them, where appropriate, there should be roles in the stronghold events, however they manifest this go-around.

I can also see sidekicks working for unusual companions who wouldn't work that well with the relationship system.  Like monster humanoid races, or they can even pull an Arcanum or Dragon Age Origin where a main NPC (or villain ;) ) joins you near the end of the game.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Also if the campaign lags in the middle of the period its running you push that investment proces faster so you could get stretch goals on a regular interval... keeping people interested curious and checking back daily to see how its going.

Its a little nitro in the engine when it needs it.

Bit of a standstill now.

Quite.

So mate, should we expect a bolster up soon, or in the last 24h of the campaing - how do you reckon?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Sidekicks sound fine, pretty much premade hirelings with voice acting, but I don't see it as something to look forward to or incentive to add to my current pledge.  If anything, I want reassurance that companions will have deeper quests than "have them in the party for x amount of time and talk to them a bunch of times" with "also take them some place and click on an object and then talk to them some more" as the more involved version.  Otherwise, I'll just make my own stand in party members when I need them, at least that way they're exactly what I need at the moment.

Bit of a standstill now.

Quite.

So mate, should we expect a bolster up soon, or in the last 24h of the campaing - how do you reckon?

There are a lot of reasons to guesstimate this campaign will play out differently than a traditional backer funded game.

1: A large chunk of funds seems to be investments, not traditional backers.  It is safe to assume some traditional backers may have gone the investment route instead of the basic backer path.

2: It is on Fig, not Kickstarter.  There is always a group of people who will simply resist a change in service.

3: No paypal option, this can effect tons of people.

4: This is a sequel, so people who felt they were burned by Eternity 1 may not come back for 2.

5: The fact that this game got it's funding even faster than Eternity 1 is a big hint, most people who were "sure" got on board in the first few days.

The fact that in the US at least people should start seeing their tax returns about now may help a little in these last few days though.  Let's hope so anyway.

• Like 2

Also if the campaign lags in the middle of the period its running you push that investment proces faster so you could get stretch goals on a regular interval... keeping people interested curious and checking back daily to see how its going.

Its a little nitro in the engine when it needs it.

Bit of a standstill now.

Quite.

Its a holiday today in america. Only pledges now. No funds.

Weekend ends tomorrow

"I think the sidekicks might be replacing the mercenary hires.  Many people didn't like the whole "hire a guy/gal" concept because ..."

Wait so we are now down to fire people, and only about 7 characters and now you can't even create your own team from scratch? You have to use the inbuilt NPCs every single game????

"I think the sidekicks might be replacing the mercenary hires.  Many people didn't like the whole "hire a guy/gal" concept because ..."

Wait so we are now down to fire people, and only about 7 characters and now you can't even create your own team from scratch? You have to use the inbuilt NPCs every single game????

The person you're quoting was wrong. Sidekicks are an option in addition to hirelings/recruits, not in place of them.

Mercenaries will still be there. Have no fear. You just have "Baldur's Gate" style companions as well as deeply written PoE2 style companions.

Creating your own merc is still on. Sidekicks are just something between companion and self created adventurer.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

• 7 months later...