Because everybody loves sidekicks...

I think the sidekicks might be replacing the mercenary hires.  Many people didn't like the whole "hire a guy/gal" concept because they had no personality, and were just murder bots really.  With "sidekicks" you get to have a character who is not as involved as a "companion", but still has some personality.  So it makes hiring extra characters much more interesting, and also gives the people who want more party options their flexibility without completely losing all character.

Also I like to think they all went through special companion training, and this is who greeted the side kicks at the end.

7183436_orig.png

Edited by Karkarov

I have biggest problem with Rekke though. You saved him from flotsam and he doesn't speak a word of any language that anyone can understand. And he can become so well trained in combat and able to cooperate with the rest of the party and seems to understand instructions from the watcher so well. Kind of immersion breaking if you ask me.

• Like 2

I think the sidekicks might be replacing the mercenary hires.  Many people didn't like the whole "hire a guy/gal" concept because they had no personality, and were just murder bots really.  With "sidekicks" you get to have a character who is not as involved as a "companion", but still has some personality.  So it makes hiring extra characters much more interesting, and also gives the people who want more party options their flexibility without completely losing all character.

I'm  pretty positive they said they are keeping the 'make-your-own-hired-adventurer' option as well.

So murder-bots with a personality? I'd still prefer just getting more proper companions, but I don't think I can hate this idea anymore ^^

Agree. I would love to still have hope that they can pull out that stretch goal. It felt like a rushed decision to me, =s.

Edited by LuccA

Sidekicks to me sound like Wasteland 2 companions which were nice. What I don't understand is why everybody's making a big deal of it. We'll have 7 full companions, that's just 1 less than Pillars 1 vanilla but they'll be better writen/implemented. The party size is 1 down, so we're covered anyway. The devs say they can't add an 8th companion AND have him/her of equal quality with the rest 7, so fair enough. If you don't like sidekicks (although noone's seen yet how they play) just don't take them! No need to overflow the forums with posts and threads about it...

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 6

Sidekicks to me sound like Wasteland 2 companions which were nice. What I don't understand is why everybody's making a big deal of it. We'll have 7 full companions, that's just 1 less than Pillars 1 vanilla but they'll be better writen/implemented. The party size is 1 down, so we're covered anyway. The devs say they can't add an 8th companion AND have him/her of equal quality with the rest 7, so fair enough. If you don't like sidekicks (although noone's seen yet how they play) just don't take them! No need to overflow the forums with posts and threads about it...

I'm pretty sure we're still getting that 8th companion stretch goal, otherwise Carrie Patel just lied on the Twitch stream.   :p

Edited by Bill Gates' Son
  • Like 3

We might get the 8th companion stretch goal, but I really doubt we're gonna hit it.

Well with fig reserved funds we're sitting at $3.7 million dollars pledged.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

We might get the 8th companion stretch goal, but I really doubt we're gonna hit it.

Then why we're rushing for the 3.0 mil still? :blink:

Before an Investment gets added to the total, it needs to be manually approved in some way. It appears that this is being done tactically, to pace the campaign and control when SGoals are met. Fig Funds always trail slightly behind Pledges - perhaps to create the impression that it is the Backers who lead this charge - and they also tend to swell up just enough to cover the next goal when the devs are about to post an update. If this is indeed the case, then they'll go rapidly up during the last week, and hit $2.25m in final hours of the campaign.

Or they're capped by Pledges for some financial reasons, or the aforementioned observations are coincidental, and the funds just take a lot of time to verify or something. But even then we may still meet some goals after the campaign officially ends, depending on how Obsidian treats investments that were reserved during the Figstarter, but verified at a later date.

So yeah, there's a decent chance that goals up to at least $4m will all be met :)

Edited by mph
  • Like 1

Then why we're rushing for the 3.0 mil still? :blink:

​Cause they are running a campaign and it makes financial sense to make us earn the stretch goals. They are basically matching pledges with investment funds.

Sidekicks are an "extra". They are not here to replace the companions. They're something between mercenary and companions. Feargus already said that writing a full companions is expensive.

I'd love more companions as much as the next guy and I hope they make a stretch goal we reach and we get at least one more but I understand the decision they made and I hope it works out good, meaning very in-depth companions. Also, I'm not really excited by them but is not like you've got to mind them, just like the mercenaries in POE1.

This is not scraping companions and replacing them with sidekicks. This is intended to allow more flexibility but having a bit of personality unlike the mercenaries.

• Like 5

This, and I want to hire Bonteru, goddamit.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I have biggest problem with Rekke though. You saved him from flotsam and he doesn't speak a word of any language that anyone can understand. And he can become so well trained in combat and able to cooperate with the rest of the party and seems to understand instructions from the watcher so well. Kind of immersion breaking if you ask me.

Goddamn! Stop whining. I love this guy. Just stick with your romancable tea party and leave this guy to people like me, who honestly NEED him to still enjoy this game. If I ever read the term "immersion breaking" again, I'm going to kill a kitten.

• Like 7

---

We're all doomed

Goddamn! Stop whining. I love this guy. Just stick with your romancable tea party and leave this guy to people like me, who honestly NEED him to still enjoy this game. If I ever read the term "immersion breaking" again, I'm going to kill a kitten.

Godsdamn* ;)

Otherwise. Nothing to ad. Touchée my dear sir. Touchée.

And why they set the sidekick stretch goal at 3.25 instead of 3.2 as suspected?

So it would be more difficult to reach?

Duh. Theyre doing business over here.

The goal is to sell the most.

So they make 1 mill with 4 big stretchgoals instead of 1 mill with 5 medium ones.

Also...

3.5 is next. Might be a biggy!

3.5 is next. Might be a biggy!

IF we reach 3.25 that is.

I dont know how many times i gotta say this... a lot it seems.

They got a backorder of 750.000 left.

So we are already past 3.25.

I see you doing numbers... clever boy.... we are already past 3.5

Happy Easter guys... a lot of eggs in your basket

Edited by Leeuwenhart
  • Like 1