Why are people still getting so worked up over this? It's very simple. If you like the edits use them, if you don't like them don't use them. Someone using/not using the edits does not in anyway effect your playthrough.

I think people are bored around here, no new beta or other significant news to talk about. So they sit here and write essays about aspects of this and that portrait. That's all fine, just don't make moderators close this thread for off topic, me and other people still need it for watercolor portraits.

• Like 7

I actually like those "fixed" versions of the portraits for returning companions better than the official ones.  To me they look closer to the portraits from the first game.

Aramintai, if you are still taking requests, I wonder if you could make watercolor versions of them? Here's all three portraits: https://imgur.com/a/7EAzZ

Edited by CaptainBiscuit

Why are people still getting so worked up over this? It's very simple. If you like the edits use them, if you don't like them don't use them. Someone using/not using the edits does not in anyway effect your playthrough.

Beats me. I'll never understand why someone gets mad when someone else mods their game.

Aramintai, if you're still in the mood to make some edits, I'd be much obliged if you could do these 4 (or at the very least the first one) for me.

https://imgur.com/a/0J9nw

And thank you for doing all this work for those of us who are ... less than adept at photo editing.

There's something off about those orlans. And I already did one of those:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1981839

re8h3nY.pngW2sIxzC.png

H5Dk6Qn.jpg

ZNQU2JV.jpg

jjuvXzd.png4aFnagK.png

yl038Ur.jpg

FwzL0V1.jpg

djGssdU.pngJpp0pef.png

VjZgad8.jpg

DjQmDTA.jpg

• Like 5

I actually like those "fixed" versions of the portraits for returning companions better than the official ones.  To me they look closer to the portraits from the first game.

Aramintai, if you are still taking requests, I wonder if you could make watercolor versions of them? Here's all three portraits: https://imgur.com/a/7EAzZ

An anonymous user on 4chan went through the trouble for most of them already already

WwuWxOp.png

y2X47y8.png

iRLIugr.png

2NVkoH3.png

• Like 4

Yea, sure, why not:

WNnFl2b.pngTWVa2Uz.png

FYq7uLn.jpg

uchJOBy.jpg

3rLjtPu.pnghT3dg84.png

izwPRZD.jpg

P4w3XkT.jpg

qi0tJVC.pngf0k8xHk.png

fHXBuu4.jpg

sWKtJn8.jpg

• Like 7

Lets try and keep the thread from going too far off topic, yes? Way Off Topic would be a better forum to discuss things not terribly related to PoEII.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tried it with your low resolution pic you posted above and it turned out okish. Took about 5 minutes I'd say. With more time and a higher resolution to work on it could become a great alternative for the priginal Deadfire portrait. But see for yourself:

eder_watercolor_spots_removed.png?dl=1

Now that I look at it again: the shadow under the nose and the bottom lip could be softened more/made lighter.

Now... I know this can't be the apporach for all the forum posters' portraits ( ;) ), but for Edér himself maybe a little bit more handicraft is tenable.

Took a cleaner stab at Eder's POE1 portrait, as well as two others:

u5SifYz.png2fBpCuD.png

h709M9p.jpg

PSdcchW.jpg

WWqizNN.pngZYQ9rxg.png

Qz791DY.jpg

ANuOjhM.jpg

b4EUamC.png7DFoLGf.png

VbjYoen.jpg

hhilpIV.jpg

• Like 5

Ah, apparently there's one more for Aloth. Here's all five modified portraits with comparisons, uh, "courtesy" of the 4chan thread that originally produced them (those words sound so weird in the same sentence... Anyhow, let's carry on):

1520094349474.png

Here's the thread for further digging (I think I saw a couple of curious orlan portraits too): http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/408607021

I was wondering whether Maia's portrait from before had been changed, but apparently that's just vanilla Maia.

OMFG

I LOVE THESE

pleasepleasepleaseplease tell me how I can implement these in-game

Edit: please no politics smileyface

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

An anonymous user on 4chan went through the trouble for most of them already already

WwuWxOp.png

y2X47y8.png

iRLIugr.png

2NVkoH3.png

Thank you so much, but the Aloth one is missing, do you have the watercoloured Aloth from the hacker known as 4chan?  I had a quick look but I am bad at the internet and could not see it

(No disrespect intended towards Aramintai but I prefer the 4chan watercoloureds, they have slightly more definition)

Also, if I have the normal portrait + the watercoloured ones above, is that everything I need?  Aramintai posted a 3rd version too..  I guess it's just a shrunken version of the watercoloured?

Oh ALSO there are two versions of Ydwin, a slightly smiley one and a bit more grumpy one, the watercoloured here appears to be for the grumpy version, do you have a watercoloured for the smiley one?

Edited by Yosharian

Ah, apparently there's one more for Aloth. Here's all five modified portraits with comparisons, uh, "courtesy" of the 4chan thread that originally produced them (those words sound so weird in the same sentence... Anyhow, let's carry on):

1520094349474.png

Here's the thread for further digging (I think I saw a couple of curious orlan portraits too): http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/408607021

I was wondering whether Maia's portrait from before had been changed, but apparently that's just vanilla Maia.

OMFG

I LOVE THESE

pleasepleasepleaseplease tell me how I can implement these in-game

Edit: please no politics smileyface

If it works at all like Pillars, you should be able to by going into the portraits/companions folder and merely replacing one image for the other. In the first Pillars you should be able to do this by heading over to Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\companions. I've never tried it though so I could be wrong - and of course things could change in Deadfire.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

If it works at all like Pillars, you should be able to by going into the portraits/companions folder and merely replacing one image for the other. In the first Pillars you should be able to do this by heading over to Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\companions. I've never tried it though so I could be wrong - and of course things could change in Deadfire.

I would be shocked if they changed that. It has been the same ever since the late 90s for these kinds of games.

• Like 1

Ok so I thought I'd upload these images as I found them because the collated one that is floating around is actually the wrong dimensions (one pixel short, which completely messes up the image if you try to stretch it).

The standard portraits are 210x330 which is the standard portrait size from Pillars 1.  The watercoloureds are 90x141; I have no idea if that's the right size or not, that's just what Rammstein posted - I wasn't able to find the images myself.  The small watercoloureds are 76x96, same size from Pillars 1.  I used the watercoloureds that Aramintai made for Aloth, since I can't find the 4chan versions for those.

Edit: I put Aramintai's watercoloureds next to the 4chan ones in case anyone prefers them.

IkNTxks.png C8ugC9Q.png UPlGI1g.png 3rLjtPu.png hT3dg84.png

ldjOwiI.png ySLrfIL.png 567wZao.png

bzdHVAa.png rnkf4Xa.png T0dzsom.png WNnFl2b.png TWVa2Uz.png

DVY5gDK.png oLXk1xq.png 7atQ02l.png

Oj72wW3.png AICTxqC.png UackRjr.png

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 10

@Aramintai thanks! I really appreciate it.

Btw, how many portraits do I actually need for each character? I was watching a beta let's play and these new portraits seem to appear only in conversations. Do I need two of them, for the two different sizes of the normal portraits?

You need two watercolor portraits, one is 90x141 the other 76x96. The first one for conversations with other NPCs, the second one for scripted interactions.

(No disrespect intended towards Aramintai but I prefer the 4chan watercoloureds, they have slightly more definition)

The reason why my watercolored versions have small definition is because the game doesn't scale well watercolored portraits of bigger than standard size. Your hi-res watercolored portraits may look worse, blurrier there and you'll have to resize them anyway. Also, my portraits are checked against other portraits in the game - those made by other user may have more color/contrast or whatever but they look like they will stand out too much from the rest of the NPCs portraits in the game. But suit yourself.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1