^ I wish I could "like" that multiple times!

• Like 7

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Greetings friends!

We absolutely love what you guys are doing with creating your own watercolor portraits and we want to help out!

Our amazing and talented Matt Hansen created a PSD doc with instructions on how to create a watercolor portrait to match the style of the game! We've also included the texture as a separate file in you aren't using Photoshop. 

Enjoy!

attachicon.gifWatercolorTemplate.zip

Thanks for the official background texture! Too bad I'm not an artist to be able to draw portraits like in instructions.

• Like 1

Tried my portrait with an official background texture:

3RoK0en.pngGnfKCRe.png

oMOE6PVl.jpg

dUcWbril.jpg

iHwlSJrl.jpg

Can't say it makes a big difference compared to this, maybe a bit cleaner:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1954168

But it also somehow looked blurrier until I put it into official small resolutions.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 5

Greetings friends!

We absolutely love what you guys are doing with creating your own watercolor portraits and we want to help out!

Our amazing and talented Matt Hansen created a PSD doc with instructions on how to create a watercolor portrait to match the style of the game! We've also included the texture as a separate file in you aren't using Photoshop. 

Enjoy!

NB: The psd doc also opens in GIMP (so you get the instructions) - needs a little fiddling, but the layers are all there.

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

This is very cool! Can you make a video tutorial?

This is the one that I use in PoE

54qhZuL.png

:yes: Godlikes rules!

If you're asking me then I've already made a post about it:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1956411

P.S. I don't have much time for requests right now, maybe next week. But keep them coming!

Greetings friends!

Enjoy!

I wanted to ask this from the dev team so much long ago but I though it would be much of demand :p

Thanks a lot people from the dev team! :)

Hm, putting the texture over the painting in multiply mode didn't quite work for me, because it made the colours too dark and yellow-ish. So instead I put it under the line art and the watercolour layer, as the background. I use a textured semi-transparent watercolour brush, so the paper texture is still visible.

post-63891-0-46902600-1515081465_thumb.jpg

Now I tried to put the texture over, and it kind of works, if you keep in mind while painting that the colours will look darker and warmer after applying the texture, and choose the colours accordingly, or tweak hue/saturation/brightness.

post-63891-0-94165000-1515082951_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is very cool! Can you make a video tutorial?

This is the one that I use in PoE

54qhZuL.png

:yes: Godlikes rules!

If you're asking me then I've already made a post about it:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91743-portraits/?p=1956411

P.S. I don't have much time for requests right now, maybe next week. But keep them coming!

Yes. Can you make a gallery?

If you have time.

Some others that would be a welcome edition to Deadfire

The winged (male_human_k) and horned helm (male_human_l) portraits both exist as options within the beta, so they have watercolor versions already.

Thats a relief... i still need Frog Helmet and Bucket Helmet though.

Edited by Vasculio

But it also somehow looked blurrier until I put it into official small resolutions.

That is a hold over from eternity 1.  Like you noticed you can use portraits of any size, but using anything other than the exact size is a bad idea.  Basically what happens if your size is off is the engine tries to smart scale it, and frankly, the engine sucks at image scaling.  This results in a blurry pic in game.  It sucks so bad at it you get better results using a pic that is too small than you do one that is large.  Yeah..... :/

I did an actual test and comparison back in Eternity 1 in my original portraits thread, not sure those images are still around however.  Don't use the same image hosting site anymore, old one I used to use stopped being reliable.

• Like 2

That is a hold over from eternity 1.  Like you noticed you can use portraits of any size, but using anything other than the exact size is a bad idea.  Basically what happens if your size is off is the engine tries to smart scale it, and frankly, the engine sucks at image scaling.  This results in a blurry pic in game.  It sucks so bad at it you get better results using a pic that is too small than you do one that is large.  Yeah..... :/

I did an actual test and comparison back in Eternity 1 in my original portraits thread, not sure those images are still around however.  Don't use the same image hosting site anymore, old one I used to use stopped being reliable.

It's strange that the problem was only with watercolor portrait, regular portrait looks just fine. Maybe because watercolor portraits are even smaller in size and the game starts to have trouble rescaling them.

Kind of went nuts the other night messing with this and made around two dozen of mock ups just to see how easily I could get different portraits to work with this. Results were pretty good. Only a few just flat out did not work or required a lot more time than I was willing to put in. Would definitely go back and spend more time refining and touching up any I might end up using in the game just to make sure they're absolutely perfect, but overall these all turned out quite well.

For most of these it took me way more time resizing and saving the image files of those I tested in game to the Deadfire folder than it did actually converting all of them. That said some others did take a very long time due to having very difficult backgrounds to erase and requiring a lot more fine tuning and messing around to get Poster Edges to look right or just OK. The big issue with a lot of these is that their source image will also require a fair bit of editing and touching up to fit the normal portrait aesthetics of the game. It's sadly seems much easier to get any old portrait to look good here with this texture filter for convos than it is to make combat and exploration portraits look good without it. 

Here are some examples I tested in game and then a link to a gallery with all 18 portraits I did but didn't have the time to resize and copy to the game folder: https://imgur.com/a/7hSL4

zBwAgaT.png
2nK6Nxg.png
6sXu75i.png
Four more ingame tested portraits in the spoiler

NDPWz1J.pngSlSi8pp.png1lTFddS.png
ykzhJsZ.pngkSmgHxf.pnghUus2cp.png
rZMvW41.pngForlTr2.pngzEz4kug.png
X6acUnP.pngRKmsnv1.pngArYzlkO.png

Miguel Regodon is the artist for most of the portraits I converted. They were an absolute breeze to convert and look super stunning.

Edited by Enduin
  • Like 10

Looks Great ! 

Still posting the ones I did, just in case.

Preview in the Spoiler - Available here : [New Link - Below]

1514951934-poe.jpg

Just for fun ! League Of Legends - Watercolor Edition.

Preview in the Spoiler - Available here : [New Link - Below]

1515016710-poe-2.jpg

Hey Guys ! Here's a whole lot new Deadfire Watercolor Portraits !

They are not as detailed as I would like them to be, but there are many of them & they look Ok In-Game.

So I hope you'll find something that suits your tastes - Available Here :

Preview of the New Portraits :

1515194017-preview-watercolor-edition-ii

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits to All the Artists : Jeremy Chong - Young-June Choi [GPZang] & many more.

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 12

Trying to get better at this + official background:

_lg:

j8zCcTP.pngHkv9KY6.pngVMGonsY.png

_convo:

8DAoAxU.pngS39fOop.pngUYhcoQa.png

_sm:

NSggKQy.pngvMUJQnb.pngt3SXsHh.png

_si:

MEnBYnm.png4z6t3X3.png4ex4JlQ.png

P.S. Thanks again Aramintai. Stroke + applying Poster Edges on a higher resolution (and only after that downscalling) made it look so much better than my first attempt.

• Like 9

You guys are sure busy around here, I’d love join and start doing pending requests but it’s probably gonna be another week or so before I do. (Moving to another flat is a total pain in the back, literally...)

• Like 4

So, after a one long week of fighting with my own inability to draw, I managed to modify one of the basic male elf portraits by giving him a beard, as I feel that my Watcher would like to grow a beard after all the existential stuff that happened to him  :p And I also made a somehow decent (?) watercolor version of it thanks to the advice contained in this topic, so I thought I would share what I made:
1QSyT9z.pngaoQP0lo.pngE3Vbowl.pngqpJT03q.png

• Like 2