Where did you get the background for your own version? Did you edit it from the Obsidian ones? I'd like to play around with my custom portrait as well.

Yep, I just edited one of the Obsidian images:

2cgh7py.jpg

It could have been better, but I'm not that good with creating graphics :D 

I don't suppose you do requests?  ;)

I'm not sure right now, but it would be a great idea to use this thread to share our watercolor portraits and make requests, that way we could create a nice collection for those who use custom portraits ;)

Edited by Eivenne
  • Like 7

Where did you get the background for your own version? Did you edit it from the Obsidian ones? I'd like to play around with my custom portrait as well.

2cgh7py.jpg

Thanks mate. Yeah I think this would take some eye for drawing to actually pull of a decent version of your favorite custom portrait. I tried with photoshops pen tool/stroke path and well...

ej8wr6G.png

oLwgUOT.jpg

If the game only uses a (really) small version of the watercolor versions I think it wont be that bad. Would be cool if someone at Obsidians graphics department would release the background they use but Eivenne's work quite well.

• Like 2

2cgh7py.jpg

Thanks mate. Yeah I think this would take some eye for drawing to actually pull of a decent version of your favorite custom portrait. I tried with photoshops pen tool/stroke path and well...

ej8wr6G.png

oLwgUOT.jpg

If the game only uses a (really) small version of the watercolor versions I think it wont be that bad. Would be cool if someone at Obsidians graphics department would release the background they use but Eivenne's work quite well.

Bless you for the idea of using the pen tool. Finally I found out that there's a way to make straight lines using a mouse ;) In my case, it turned out that fill path works better than stroke path, it' a bit easier to control the thickness of the lines. Your portrait looks quite nice! I would color the face a bit, so that it has more depth. But I'm still working on that myself :) Here's my new version, still work in progress:

28nqcl.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work to those above! I'm also concerned about custom portraits. They've been critical in my play throughs of these types of games as the default portraits available simply don't capture the characters I create.

PoE2 could create a market for artistically skilled editors if PoE2 uses portraits far different than those used in previous isometric cRPG titles. I know I'd pay a buck or two if someone took my custom portrait and edited it to fit the art style of the game.

Man, I couldn't even do my own custom portrait originally, had to beg the forum for help. It's being used in the game, but I can't remember where the file is, and **** me if I could make a custom watercolor version!

First world problems, eh?

I'm pretty sure there will be an option to toggle companions portraits to normal, so there's no need to butcher your custom portraits. The only portraits that will stay watercolored are gonna be those of NPCs, because there will be no alternative.

• Like 1

I am in NO way an artist and this is definitely a rush job (ie. bad background removal causing some artifacts in the final outcome) just to see what would happen by using GIMP and

, than adding a slight (3)  "oilify"  filter and finally adding the background I ended up with this...dunno if it counts as "watercolour" but was curious if a non-artist like myself even had a chance to use custom portraits (and yes one of my rangers was Kristoff, he hung out with my Chrono Trigger Squad occasionally)...atm I'm thinking no but I might keep messing around with gimp if I have time.

KristoffWCTest_zps3qtkax5w.jpg

Edited by Failedlegend
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

With all the beta excitement going on I finally managed to find some time to rummage through photo editors to make a watercolored portrait. There's a very nice free online editor: https://www194.lunapic.com/editor/

It allowed me to change my portrait from this:

ZCtSp71.pnge8NOpGv.png

Gc7z2Ox.jpg

qLqNRLc.jpg

Into this:

hriOC37.jpg

k3J4A4H.jpg

WszlMgh.jpg

ElpAEpJ.jpg

ZOxJJeW.jpg

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 13

I've run into a problem with just using filters. You can get something resembling the watercolour art style with filters except when the portrait has black or very dark background which all the portraits I'm using has. Eraser works I guess but man that's some extra work when talking about lots of portraits.

@Aramintai - That portrait looks familiar ... are you on the Beamdog boards, perchance?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

@Aramintai - That portrait looks familiar ... are you on the Beamdog boards, perchance?

Hmm, well I haven't visited them in a while, but yea, I recall posting some portraits there as well. I use another portrait for BG series though.

I've run into a problem with just using filters. You can get something resembling the watercolour art style with filters except when the portrait has black or very dark background which all the portraits I'm using has. Eraser works I guess but man that's some extra work when talking about lots of portraits.

Well, if it helps, for this portrait I mostly used that editor's Sketch2 in Art at some 60%, then played with Skin Tanning, Color Saturation and Brightness in Adjust. All very noob friendly.

• Like 2