How would you like gore or gibbing to be treated in Pillars 2 ?

In pillars 1 gore is treated like it was in Baldurs gate and Baldurs gate 2. Very simplistic gibbing that reminds me of a person getting shot by a rail gun in Quake.

While this method worked fine for games made in the 90s we have come to expect more in modern games.

Would you guys be open to gore being treated by like it was done in fallout 1 and fallout 2.

Intricate kill animations and detailed gore based on the attack , weapon type, enemy type.

From a presentation standpoint it looks amazing and at the same time looks highly professional.

giphy.gif

I have attached above just a sampling of the kill animations and advanced gore seen in fallout 1 and 2.

So would you the community be open to a more elaborate gore system and kill animation system other than what was seen in pillars 1 ?

• Like 1

But don't we want more of everything.

Yeah, that's the thing.  At the end of the day there's a fixed pool of resources, and the Pillars1 team wasn't very large to begin with.  (I'm rather impressed at what they pulled off with a few dozens - PoE1 was a lot of game for a mid/small team to crank out).  They have to consider how to spend those developer resources, given the talents of different people.  While I wouldn't mind seeing "better gore" either, I can think of plenty of things I'd rather those developer resources went into.

• Like 3

I certainly wouldn't object to more diverse kill animations, ideally one for each of the physical and elemental damage types. Raw could probably just borrow Corrosion's.

That said, I agree with Heijoushin that the animations and audio during combat itself would add a lot more to the experience than specialized death scenes.

It was an annoyance in first the pillars for me too. Exploding.

Finishers move like in dragon age: origins would be much more enjoyable to watch. I really don't want to see another, arrows exploding targets. 

It would be more epic to let's say, giving the final execution to a dragon rather than see It explode.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Uneconomic. It would make the game difficult to sell in certain territories for no real advantage.

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I don't like casters' arched forward bouncing animation in between attacks, very lame looking. Also arquebus animation transition seems to be happening too fast after a shot, should be slowed down, its transitioning into waiting stance anyway. Both of these can be seen at 27th sec:

I am ok with gore and fountains of blood.

But even more important is kill animation, the one where we jump on ogre shoulder and chop his head off, or when we split enemy in half, or wizard freeze it and then we shatter... all that jazz.

Animations in general will improve perception.

But it is not top priority for me.

Uneconomic. It would make the game difficult to sell in certain territories for no real advantage.

Does that really apply to a niche, pc centric digital only release though  ?

I can see how this would apply to a mainstream console game with wide distribution across all areas but a CRPG could probably get away with more.

Tehehe. :lol: Same with me. I also hate splatter movies.

And I just don't like it if the pieces fly around after a hit with a sword. It's ridiculous. Even if you crit somebody with a sword that guy would never explode like they did in PoE1 and BG. And it's also very difficult to cut off limbs when they are clad in armor. I guess nobody wants gib and gore based on the type of armor the enemy wears. Too much fuzz.

For me, a bit of blood and a good collapse-animation are sufficient. :)

The Fallout animations are really cool though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

And it's also very difficult to cut off limbs when they are clad in armor.

I'd say basically impossible for plate and close to impossible for the other heavier armours so long as they protect said limb.

As for gibbing, a small part of me wants to see it remain for nostalgia reasons but I tend to agree that it's ridiculous and doesn't really add anything to the game.

Edited by JerekKruger

Imho, more attacking animations (in particular unarmed) make a lot of more sense economically, since you will spend much more time watching these than enemies dying.

A lot of various death animations are important for games like diablo, where you constantly mow down enemies, but not so much in a game with (ideally) mostly set piece encounters.

You guys are insane. There is nothing danker than poking someone with a dagger and exploding them.

This is true, but it would be nice to see video game developers acknowledge that this only happens when the dagger hits the precise "explode into chunks of meat" pressure point. It shouldn't happen one time in twenty, unless the attacker is a master of the ancient art of chunking.