By the way: the Hawaiian/Polynesian (even more like Huana) variant of that is named "Leiomano". It's basically the same weapon, but instead of stones they used shark theeth. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In this video it's explained why obsidian makes sharper edges than metal can: https://youtu.be/2C6_pSEPbO8?t=281

But while OBS is very sharp when chipped porperly it's also very brittle. So if one could solve those issues (infuse with aweseome essence for the win) it could indeed be a very fearsome weapon.  

• Like 1

That Multlutlicl (blazing aztech names, I swear ;)) weapon does slash/crush damage obviously. :) Could also considered to be a mace or morning star. Depends on the final shape and dimensions I guess. Best idea so far in my opinion. Just needs some backstory why the BIB have it.

And another thing: may be that we see those weapons all the time on Huana warriors. Could be that OBS had the same idea and give them sonte weapons with adra, flint and obsidian (I mean in "Deadfire" Archipelago there should be plenty of vulcanos and therefore also obsidian) - then our Mutchupitchulatlprattl wouldn't be so unique anymore. Hm...

Is it really slash/crush ? Slash is clear but I've been wondering about "crush". If you try to crush some hard material with it the obsidian blades would break. So you would have to use the long, flat sides of the sword.

If you use it like that then it'd become a paddle effectively. The question is how effective can a paddle actually be?

So I'm not too sure about the effectiveness of using a "Mutchupitchulatlprattl" as a crushing weapon.

You can only use the thin sides of the sword with the obsidian blades as a crushing weapon when you attack soft materials. Like that chicken for example.

I've asked Aarik about the macuahuitl, answer is still pending.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

It's basically a wooden club (crush) with sharp stone edges (slash). So slash/crush seems to be plausible. That doesn't say anything about how long it would last in a "real" fight. But if you are concerned that it breaks on usage you shouldn't consider it in the first place.

But since items in PoE don't need repair and don't deteriorate at all I would just skip those concerns and concentrate on coolness. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

It's basically a wooden club (crush) with sharp stone edges (slash). So slash/crush seems to be plausible. That doesn't say anything about how long it would last in a "real" fight. But if you are concerned that it breaks on usage you shouldn't consider it in the first place.

But since items in PoE don't need repair and don't deteriorate at all I would just skip those concerns and concentrate on coolness. ;)

Want to see something cool?

Macuahuitl vs. Leiomano

I really really like this video, take your time to watch it completely.

Also he made a video where he shows how he manufactured those weapons by himself.

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Hmm from the above picture I can see the crushing damage type.

So actually it could be slash/crush.

I think it's ugly af, but hey, democracy, right? :)

Well, I would not put it that drastically but at least I see where this comes from. When i first stumbled upon the Macuahuitl I didn't think it was so beautiful either.

But since then it has grown on me. No, not necessarily for its beauty.

But I think it's a pretty cool, exotic weapon.

And I like that its not your everyday standard weapon. And I was surprised just what that sword can actually too.

Yes many sword or sword-like weapons can slash meat and a watermelon and a chicken in half. But I wouldn't have expected that from the Macuahuitl. So, I'm pretty impressed by it.

Also keep in mind we haven't seen all different designs yet.

For example this one:

ESQzyYY.jpg

I'm wondering, wouldn't that one actually cause piercing damage, lol?

• Like 1

It would do pierce/slash/crush/saw damage. ;)

But honestly: a weapon which would do pierce/slash/crush would actually be pretty powerful - without the noobs noticing.  :devil:

• Like 1

I think it's ugly af, but hey, democracy, right? :)

I don't find it's aesthetics particularly pleasing either (or, ugly af, if you will) . One thing I do like about it though, is the fact that if such a weapon would be obtainable through a quest or as loot from the Black Isle Bastards, it would add something very special and memorable to the Bastards.

An interesting angle to add such an outlandish weapon could be the Bastards mentioning that after encountering the weapon in the jungle during their exploits they took it with them to their pirate lair. (Perhaps after narrowly escaping an encounter with an indigenous tribe. Or, on a more friendly note, trading it for valuable items or for information in a collaborative partnership.)

Since then, they've practiced with it and tried using it, but all in vain. Judging it to be useless, they give it to the player as a reward, asking him or her to give it a try instead.

The weapon could then be either: not very powerful, or: surprisingly powerful, but difficult to wield and therefore include the opportunity for a player to hurt himself in the process, or: surprisingly powerful, as the weapon turns out to be soulbound and the knowledge of its use and of its power can only be unlocked through the player, who can use its soul to gain visions of its proper use.

• Like 1

It really looks like it should have the wounding enchantment. Or something like the Excecutioner's Hood which has a frightening aura. What about frighten on crit? "Uuhha! That's a nasty, nasty wound!" ;)

I would not be opposed to the idea that it also has some kind of drawback. Some ideas:

- converts some hits to grazes (maybe glances off more easily)

- accuracy malus

Other weapon ideas are still welcome. At some point we should collect all ideas and make a poll... 

• Like 1

It really looks like it should have the wounding enchantment. Or something like the Excecutioner's Hood which has a frightening aura. What about frighten on crit? "Uuhha! That's a nasty, nasty wound!" ;)

I would not be opposed to the idea that it also has some kind of drawback. Some ideas:

- converts some hits to grazes (maybe glances off more easily)

- accuracy malus

Other weapon ideas are still welcome. At some point we should collect all ideas and make a poll... 

--causes bleed

--negative damage penalty against metal armored targets (like a negative damage penetration, basically)

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

Obsidian blades are allegedly THE sharpest blades of all (at least in our world).

So you could definitely think of a bonus based on that. However I dont know if there is going to be a "bleeding" status effect.

Is there one in PoE1? (It's been a while since I last played^^)

Obsidian blades are allegedly THE sharpest blades of all (at least in our world).

So you could definitely think of a bonus based on that. However I dont know if there is going to be a "bleeding" status effect.

I was apparently confusing it with Tyranny status effects. Bleed would be the *perfect* one for them, though! Boerer is right; the "Wounding" enchantment is the closest in PoE.

PS: I have found the single most badass weapon I have ever seen. The full-size picture is no longer available, but check it out. It's a mahuactl...of particular, unique design.

ds198sm.jpg

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

An interesting fact about obsidian blades:

"Well-crafted obsidian blades, as with any glass knife, can have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, the cutting edge of the blade being only about 3 nanometers thick.[39] Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope; when examined even under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian#Current_use

Edited by Fluffle

I was apparently confusing it with Tyranny status effects. Bleed would be the *perfect* one for them, though! Boerer is right; the "Wounding" enchantment is the closest in PoE.

PS: I have found the single most badass weapon I have ever seen. The full-size picture is no longer available, but check it out. It's a mahuactl...of particular, unique design.

ds198sm.jpg

Isn't  that a bat'leth from Star Trek?

worf.jpg

What would be the name of the Matschampaddel? "Chicken Splitter"? :lol:

No seriously...

I have another idea for an enchantment: since those swords were also used during bloody rituals and sacrifices this sword could also have such a sinister history. Maybe it was created and wielded by a powerful Huana Shaman of some sect or whatever. It could give then wielder Blood Thirst: after a kill you'll skip recovery. It would basically give you the barbarian ability.

I *know*, but it sure looks like one.

Macuahuitl, I dub thee SPANKMASTER 3000.

May your reign be long and spanky.

383304_spanky.jpg

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...