A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

not that i care one way or other, but the only ie game that had running was p:st and it had the worst combat of all those games. how people who complain about walking managed to play those old games is beyond me. It's not that maps are so large that you'd need to run anyway. Even though you'd get boots of speed in bg2, the enemy speed was the same- their speed was set to the walking speed. No wonder there's slow mode in pillars. Again, why was walking as movement abandoned, in bg2 i set the refresh rate so that chars move faster, couldn't Obsidian have given the players something similar but more convenient?

That's true, old IE had one speed of movement (just like PoE) but they did use walking animation instead of a running one. Fast forward option in PoE is very welcome addition.

In my mind both systems are identical. It's just in PoE they used different animation. I wasn't bothered by walking and I am not bothered by running. Both look equally good to me and represent my character moving from point A to point B on abstract isometric representation of a location. Ability to speed up and slow down process where needed is a great addition. Just some people really don't like to see running animation in certain environments.

so there's fast mode- forgot about that. Wouldn't walking in fast mode be fast enough for the Players? Why running if there's already fast mode? Why running if it makes combat more hectic to the point that Obsidian thinks slow mode should be the set mode for combat? How did we play the old ie games- by timely hitting space bar because actions and movement weren't that fast. Rounds are gone and Obsidian is stretching animations i believe for deadfire to make it less hectic for the sequel. Going back to walking speed would help further. Both, from an immersion viewpoint as well as from gameplay the game would benefit from going back to walking. Running could be an individual talent or tied to endurance. The player has that talent so he can run 5secs before endurance goes down..

so there's fast mode- forgot about that. Wouldn't walking in fast mode be fast enough for the Players? Why running if there's already fast mode? Why running if it makes combat more hectic to the point that Obsidian thinks slow mode should be the set mode for combat? How did we play the old ie games- by timely hitting space bar because actions and movement weren't that fast. Rounds are gone and Obsidian is stretching animations i believe for deadfire to make it less hectic for the sequel. Going back to walking speed would help further. Both, from an immersion viewpoint as well as from gameplay the game would benefit from going back to walking. Running could be an individual talent or tied to endurance. The player has that talent so he can run 5secs before endurance goes down..

I don't believe that changing "running" animation to "walking" would change much gameplaywise. It's more of a casual jog, looking more natural than "Benny HIll walk" but not fast enough to actually impact gameplay. It just would be a different animation. Creating stamina for running or making it a trait is an interesting idea, but that would mean rethinking how combat works. I am not agaist that, but just saying... (overall moving away from stat based combat, to more impactful, visible abilities would be an improvement - that is very much an advantage of digital medium over tabletop one - but thats a discussion for another time.)

Running doesn't make combat more messy. And I could have used slow mode in IE game as well. The benefit of the slowmode is that you can limit about of pauses you do, while in old game I would press space every half a second or so. Which is still a case in PoE in more complex fights. But that's a downside of translating turn-stat-based combat into real time.

A "benefit" of living in the richer part of the world. We get to fight over meaningless features in computer games instead of deciding on who gets to eat today.

Indeed. It's definitely worth reminding ourselves of this from time to time.

And yet here you are - three noble keyboard warriors - worrying about what other people do with their time while dictating to uneducated masses what is and isn't important. I guess because in the ADHD era we live in - to pseudo-thinkers such as you three brilliant minds - taking 5 minutes to write something you care about obviously means you can't care about anything else at the same time, which then allows you to grandstand and virtue-signal how that is not something you do - ergo you are better.

You know, it's not the disagreements that get me. The thing that actually gets my blood boiling is the sheer stupidity and feigned self-righteous quasi-intellectualism by people who are talking about things they have no clue about - all with a conviction that you would excpect from a completely clueless imbecile.

Edited by RedKnight
  • Like 2

So are we getting a bloody walk toggle or not? Answer us Obsidian! And end this misery!

They already did, ages ago.  The answer was pretty much no, you can mod it in yourself if you want it.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

So are we getting a bloody walk toggle or not? Answer us Obsidian! And end this misery!

They already did, ages ago.  The answer was pretty much no, you can mod it in yourself if you want it.

Well, I guess I will be skipping this game then after all. Not going to support a roleplaying game that doesn't understand roleplaying.

Well, I guess I will be skipping this game then after all. Not going to support a roleplaying game that doesn't understand roleplaying.

That is literally the dumbest reason to not play a game I've ever heard. I mean, I'd like a toggle for walking, but that can't possible be a dealbreaker. Don't stand so hard on your principles that you'll miss a good time man..

• Like 2

They understand it better than you clearly.  They also understand their own product better than you.  A walk toggle for this game would do absolutely nothing roleplaywise.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That is literally the dumbest reason to not play a game I've ever heard. I mean, I'd like a toggle for walking, but that can't possible be a dealbreaker. Don't stand so hard on your principles that you'll miss a good time man..

1. Each to their own. It may not be a dealbreaker to you, but it sure is to me and many others.

2. And I said I won't be supporting it. I didn't say I won't play it. There is a difference between the two.

And yet here you are - three noble keyboard warriors - worrying about what other people do with their time while dictating to uneducated masses what is and isn't important. I guess because in the ADHD era we live in - to pseudo-thinkers such as you three brilliant minds - taking 5 minutes to write something you care about obviously means you can't care about anything else at the same time, which then allows you to grandstand and virtue-signal how that is not something you do - ergo you are better.

You know, it's not the disagreements that get me. The thing that actually gets my blood boiling is the sheer stupidity and feigned self-righteous quasi-intellectualism by people who are talking about things they have no clue about - all with a conviction that you would excpect from a completely clueless imbecile.

I was just astounded that you fight over it for eleven pages. I never claimed to be a brilliant thinker nor did I call or "dictate" you anything. You on the other hand took the time to write a lengthy post just to insult us. You make the impression of a very unpolite and self-centered 10-year-old.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 2

---

We're all doomed

They understand it better than you clearly.  They also understand their own product better than you.  A walk toggle for this game would do absolutely nothing roleplaywise.

Well, be that as it may, I won't be supporting a roleplaying game which forces you to sprint in taverns and libriaries like a complete retard. Period. None of the older roleplaying games had this issue and walking was ALWAYS an option, which allowed us to not look like retards in libriaries and taverns, but .. yeah... I guess it must be me who doesn't understand roleplaying. :)

LoL

Edited by RedKnight
  • Like 1

I was just astounded that you fight over it for eleven pages. I never claimed to be a brilliant thinker nor did I call or "dictate" you anything. You on the other hand took the time to write a lengthy post just to insult us. You make the impression of a very unpolite and self-centered 10-year-old person.

Politeness is overrated, especially when it is used by morons as a shield behind which they can then espouse their non-sense. Besides, writing a few posts per day doesn't take much of my time, but it's certainly a worthwhile endeveour to call out non-sense rethoric wherever you see it - and without the gloves of false pretense or politeness.

Also... that 10 year old thing you added later... hehe :) well it's not me that is crying and whining about mean words on the internet. Buhuhuhu... niagra falls. 

Edited by RedKnight

Politeness is overrated, especially when it is used by morons as a shield behind which they can then espouse their non-sense. Besides, writing a few posts per day doesn't take much of my time, but it's certainly a worthwhile endeveour to call out non-sense rethoric wherever you see it - and without the gloves of false pretense or politeness.

Well then... **** you and goodbye.

---

We're all doomed