A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

Slighty off-topic, but Tides of Numenera was released today.

And guess what? It does not have a walk toggle either. Oh, you can do it on the console if you lightly tap the stick control, but if you play on PC and use keyboard and mouse? Nope.

I remember being upset that I missed the Kickstarter for it. Then I just decided to wait and see till release. And then all those mixed reviews came out... and still I would have gotten it. But today I read that you can only walk in that game if you play it on the console.

So, last straw. I am not buying Tides of Numenera.

Given that I backed Deadfire and its expansions, this, of course, won't be true for PoE 2, but, dammit. That feature is important to me. It's important to others. It's minor. The framework is there. It's not imposing on anyone's playstyles.

So, wtf is the trouble to implement it in the the modern rpg renaissance games????!

/upset custumer

Really this is the last straw. This is the weirdest issue to decide to not buy a game on. i dont care either way but dont you think you are over reacting just a bit. I mean if the game is not good then ok fine but walking.

Slighty off-topic, but Tides of Numenera was released today.

And guess what? It does not have a walk toggle either. Oh, you can do it on the console if you lightly tap the stick control, but if you play on PC and use keyboard and mouse? Nope.

I remember being upset that I missed the Kickstarter for it. Then I just decided to wait and see till release. And then all those mixed reviews came out... and still I would have gotten it. But today I read that you can only walk in that game if you play it on the console.

So, last straw. I am not buying Tides of Numenera.

Given that I backed Deadfire and its expansions, this, of course, won't be true for PoE 2, but, dammit. That feature is important to me. It's important to others. It's minor. The framework is there. It's not imposing on anyone's playstyles.

So, wtf is the trouble to implement it in the the modern rpg renaissance games????!

/upset custumer

They have confirmed on the forums of TToN that the walk toggle WILL be added in a later update. My Forum name over there is Taziel since my standard Joral was taken and I also had a discussion concerning the walk toggle there. copy pasted response "There is no walk toggle in the game as of now with mouse/keyboard, but I've added it to our list of things to look at for a future update."

That does not say "WILL be added". That says "I've put it on the maybe pile". Sear doesn't even say "list of things to add in future updates", he said "list of things to look at".

I don't quite understand that opposition to a walk toggle, though. Who cares if you like running?

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Actually, Saer's latest response is a little (very little) bit optimistic:

sear  [developer] 1 hour ago
Thanks for the feedback! We'll investigate this and see if it's possible to include later down the road.

Given that the situation there is similar to how it is in PoE ( pc characters walk in cutscenes), AND given that walk toggle was modded in PoE, we all know it's possible.

I do not understand the heavy opposition to it, either. :getlost:

Edited by oddrheia
  • Like 2

I'm guessing that it's a UI design issue. It wouldn't explain why it can't be a button toggle, but the modern UI design usually hates things that won't be used by most people. Why waste screenspace for something 99% of people won't touch, or will touch once and then again to turn it off?

Actually, Saer's latest response is a little (very little) bit optimistic:

sear  [developer] 1 hour ago

Thanks for the feedback! We'll investigate this and see if it's possible to include later down the road.

Given that the situation there is similar to how it is in PoE ( pc characters walk in cutscenes), AND given that walk toggle was modded in PoE, we all know it's possible.

I do not understand the heavy opposition to it, either. :getlost:

Yeah, the fact it is not there seems to be biting them in the ass right now. And the comment "You can use a controller" seems to be pissing off the community even more :S. Its sad (though true) that they are criticizing both PoE 1 and Tyranny for ignoring it now as well (Steam posts). I really hope that Obsidian changes there stance on this feature as well. Especially since in Tyranny case, there was not much of a modding community due to the poor reception of the game and NOT the lack of interest in the feature. I personally really liked Tyranny with the exception of the 3rd act and a couple chopped up story lines in the 2nd act. Overall I would love to see an expansion or a sequel to the game (As long as it is not chopped up for replayability) as I enjoyed the story.

I'm guessing that it's a UI design issue. It wouldn't explain why it can't be a button toggle, but the modern UI design usually hates things that won't be used by most people. Why waste screenspace for something 99% of people won't touch, or will touch once and then again to turn it off?

So why not just make it hotkey-able? (That is too a word! :-P ). I don't understand why they can include bobble-head mode but not a way for my guys to walk, dammit!

• Like 4

So why not just make it hotkey-able? (That is too a word! :-P ). I don't understand why they can include bobble-head mode but not a way for my guys to walk, dammit!

That is what we mean by a toggle :p. And I am of the same opinion on the bobble-head mode, used it once had a laugh never touched it again. However with the walk toggle (IEMOD) I use it alot. Sometime when going through an area for the 4th 5th time I will say F'it and run but then I go back to walking.

• Like 1

Well, I can understand the reasoning behind this and I hope that obsidian will implement this for those that want something like this but I have a hard time imagining anyone actually playing through the whole game with the walk toggle on where appropriate. Hardcore role players are something else  ^^

• Like 1

I wouldn't even use it for the majority of the game, only special occasions - but on those occasions, it would make a great difference.

You don't run into an old Lady's office. Or sprint down the hall to the tribal leader.

Or in other games, have your sword drawn while talking to people (Morrowind actually punished you for that lack of etiquette). Or take off your full helmet when in civilised areas. (PoE's avatars are too small for that.)

Little things.

I never even used big head mode once.

Really, why is that there?

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I'm all for the addition of a walk toggle, and I say that as someone who wouldn't use it. I try to support options that would make the game more enjoyable to other people so long as they wouldn't make the game less fun for me or obviously take a lot of development time, and this seems to fit both bills: I could simply not use it, and since walking animations are already in game it would surely be as simple as adding a button somewhere on the UI that tells the game "use walking animations and speed", plus a bit of QA to make sure it works and doesn't cause other problems.

• Like 2

I'm all for the addition of a walk toggle, and I say that as someone who wouldn't use it. I try to support options that would make the game more enjoyable to other people so long as they wouldn't make the game less fun for me or obviously take a lot of development time, and this seems to fit both bills: I could simply not use it, and since walking animations are already in game it would surely be as simple as adding a button somewhere on the UI that tells the game "use walking animations and speed", plus a bit of QA to make sure it works and doesn't cause other problems.

We don't even need the ui button. Slap a hotkey option on it, like IE mod devs did for us for the first Pillars game, and we'll be blissfully happy! :yes:

Adding a hot-key for walking looks perfect! But I doubt that developers ever read this topic.

They did mention the walk toggle in a stream though. Josh said that it's on the list, but not at a very high priority, iirc.

• Like 1

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Aarik - are cyan circles for neutral NPCs and asynchronous party movement also on the list? :)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well hopefully both the walk toggle and the neutral color circles can be moved a little up the list then :). There seem to be more people who are interested in these features than you guys thought :). And thank you for responding to this thread :). After the livestream I doubted that they would even be considered.

• Like 4

Josh said Walk Toggle was a stretch goal in one of the streams.  I believe he said it was the 7 million stretch goal specifically.

He said 6mil. and that he wasn't serious. And this REALLY should not be a stretch goal.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that Josh, Adam, and the producers continue to believe that a healthy majority of Eternity players are ambivalent about this issue and that it shouldn't take priority over more important programming, animation, UI Art, and QA tasks and should remain a C-level priority.

PS

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the awesomeness that is Big Head mode probably doesn't like the 90's and NBA games, and so therefore can't be my friend. Cuz that's my jam.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I sincerely hope that Josh, Adam, and the producers continue to believe that a healthy majority of Eternity players are ambivalent about this issue and that it shouldn't take priority over more important programming, animation, UI Art, and QA tasks and should remain a C-level priority.

PS

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the awesomeness that is Big Head mode probably doesn't like the 90's and NBA games, and so therefore can't be my friend. Cuz that's my jam.

Though I am assuming you are trolling, I will respond. The fact that the animation is already in just means adding a hot-key toggle. This does not take away time for anything else, and the point that at this stage of the games development is when this stuff SHOULD be done or considered. Hence the point of a game being backed and the backers making suggestions and requests as to what they would like to see in the game.

• Like 2

Like the dodge animations that are already in the game, for example :p

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

PS

Though I am assuming you are trolling, I will respond. The fact that the animation is already in just means adding a hot-key toggle. This does not take away time for anything else, and the point that at this stage of the games development is when this stuff SHOULD be done or considered. Hence the point of a game being backed and the backers making suggestions and requests as to what they would like to see in the game.

So dissent with your opinion and pet issue is trolling?

You're assuming it's just as easy as adding a hotkey. K. Being honest, I don't know the resources required it would take to properly implement a walk feature, but knowing what I know of the software industry and having followed RPG development for more years than I want to admit...It ain't as easy as you think it is.

It would be cool to be able to walk, but it's not a game breaker, not is it a high demand or high concept feature central to gameplay. If they can get to it, great. But it's still C-level at best.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle