A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

*Sigh* I got a joking answer on the livestream, 6mil goal *Sigh*. Apparently there are not enough people interested in it to add it to the list. Kind of not the answer I think we wanted :(.

Basically the statement was " it is so far down on our list of things, so no"

Ok well that kind of took my mood and tanked it.

Edited by Joral
  • Like 1

Yeah.. Josh just said that we shouldn't expect this feature in the nearest future = ( 

The way he said it was a little harsh as well. Considering I have Backed the DCE I have no idea what to think right now, going to just walk away for abit and think. I personally would have thought the option since they said it would not be difficult to add in would be atleast considered instead of dismissed that way.

• Like 1

Shame. I guess the same is true of cyan selection circles for neutral NPCs and something to prevent robot-sync movement :(

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Don't despair, for those who are interested (sounds like more than we may have realized) let's just keep the conversation going. Seems like it's built into the engine clearly in scenes shown, it just hasn't been prioritized as an active toggle...yet

Agreed, Thank You. *Hope*

Edited by Joral

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment!

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, to maybe lighten the mood a little: This option has been modded into Pillars 1. Deadfire seems to get more modding friendly, so maybe some talented coder can mod this feature (and others, like the cyan circles) into the game.

Still, I find it a bit sad that they take the time to include a big head mode - which for me is a useless *take a look, chuckle, never use it again* feature, but discard a walking toggle this harshly. Especially since it seems to be so simple to implement, as everything needed (animations etc.) will be in the game anyway.

Edited by Cerebro83
  • Like 1

Well, to maybe lighten the mood a little: This option has been modded into Pillars 1. Deadfire seems to get more modding friendly, so maybe some talented coder can mod this feature (and others, like the cyan circles) into the game.

Still, I find it a bit sad that they take the time to include a big head mode - which for me is a useless *take a look, chuckle, never use it again* feature, but discard a walking toggle this harshly. Especially since it seems to be so simple to implement, as everything needed (animations etc.) will be in the game anyway.

I am also hoping that it will be modded in if they choose not to add it as a feature. And since it is already in the game, the option to have it as a toggle would have made sense. I do not know why he was so harsh with his statement. It almost seemed like a personal hatred for the feature rather than a "its a low priority right now" statement.

I am not trying to cause an argument, I love Obsidian games. During the live stream all other questions got actual answers and explanations, but this question got dismissed with disdain and condescension. As a backer and fan of Obsidian games I was just stunned with the tone of response. I still do not know how to react. The only thing I know I want to do is try and show that there are more people who are interested in this sort of feature, especially in an RPG. Though after seeing and hearing the tone of his response and the look on his face, I doubt it would matter.

However I plan to try. so I will keep commenting, and asking people if they would like to see a walk toggle in the game. And I will try to set up a poll once the forums become more active with people interested in the game. So please keep commenting on this thread.

• Like 2

Please!

I can't stand and do not play the first Pillars without IE mod, which adds the walking toggle.  But, considering how many developers that mod burned through during the numerous patches, debugging and support, the future of IE mod for PoE II is pretty bleak. 

To reiterate, many have asked for it for the first game.

It was popular enough request to be modded in.

The framework for walking animation is already in.

It does not need to be imposed on people who do not want it - a toggle is all we ask for!

Here is to hoping we get heard this time... especially since the request is coming from the backers to whom the devs  allegedly pledged to listen!

Edited by oddrheia

I'm another fan of the walk toggle. I end up playing PoE with the party almost always in stealth mode, even through areas they'd already searched, just to have the slower movement. Having them run everywhere is just...wrong.

I'm sorry Josh was dismissive with you, Joral - here's hoping the devs realise there are more people who would like this feature than they thought.

• Like 2

I would never touch this toggle unless they went ahead and added an annoying mechanical difference to it, but I don't see any reasons against including it either, so why not. Assuming it doesn't take long implement. You wouldn't think that it would, since NPCs have it already, but who knows, maybe they figured that party characters should look better than their NPC walk-cycle looked, so they neved added it.

I am also hoping that it will be modded in if they choose not to add it as a feature. And since it is already in the game, the option to have it as a toggle would have made sense. I do not know why he was so harsh with his statement. It almost seemed like a personal hatred for the feature rather than a "its a low priority right now" statement.

I am not trying to cause an argument, I love Obsidian games. During the live stream all other questions got actual answers and explanations, but this question got dismissed with disdain and condescension. As a backer and fan of Obsidian games I was just stunned with the tone of response. I still do not know how to react. The only thing I know I want to do is try and show that there are more people who are interested in this sort of feature, especially in an RPG. Though after seeing and hearing the tone of his response and the look on his face, I doubt it would matter.

I think you're seeing hostility and malicious intent where there is none. If I remember correctly, the answer happened at a point where alcohol might have had an effect and I think he was just surprised and amused that someone would ask about such a featureless feature. There's no gameplay difference between running and walking, there's no precision benefit you would get in other games since your movement is as accurate as your mouse cursor is and it seemed like they have received way more comments about how the party moves too slow even in fast mode and that they should add faster movement. Asking for a feature all about going slower seems like such a niche feature that it could easily fly under the radar and land in the infinite backlog.

Heck, I was laughing with him. Until I saw this thread, I didn't think anyone would seriously ask for such a "feature" and that had to be a troll/joking question about how slow the party already moves.

Edited by Hertzila

Heck, I was laughing with him. Until I saw this thread, I didn't think anyone would seriously ask for such a "feature" and that had to be a troll/joking question about how slow the party already moves.

Thing is, the request isn't new at all. It originates from the Poe early beta days. There was even a poll about it, and it was in favor of those who wanted it.

As for it being a 'featureless feature'... there is also no game-play differences between various models of clothing, hats, weapon models, lore-books, etc. Heck... the humorous big heads toggle adds what to game-play, exactly? Those little things add to enjoyment of the game, though, and not necessarily because they bring any mechanics to the table.

Sadly, many people for whom this does not matter are hostile to the idea, unlike you. :/ Thank you for not being one of them, btw!

Edited by oddrheia

Found it at 4:36 on the final all day Twitch live stream.

Honestly, I don't think he was harsh at all.  Very honest and reasonable.

I'm sure they have a tremendous amount of things to tackle and accomplish right now, and stretch goals being added, and multi-classing, and etc. etc.  It's low on the list.

If anything, he acknowledged that they know they can do it.  If they get time or bandwidth.

Also, the perception is that only a few passionate people want it (e.g. folks in this reply chain).

Perhaps if we're able to either:

(a) have another poll similar to during the beta of PoE1, or

(b) hit $6M in post FIG backing :)

Overall, thrilled for Pillars of Eternity 2 in general.  And incredibly grateful for the team at Obsidian to involve us in the evolution of the game!

I would never touch this toggle unless they went ahead and added an annoying mechanical difference to it, but I don't see any reasons against including it either, so why not. Assuming it doesn't take long implement. You wouldn't think that it would, since NPCs have it already, but who knows, maybe they figured that party characters should look better than their NPC walk-cycle looked, so they neved added it.

I think you're seeing hostility and malicious intent where there is none. If I remember correctly, the answer happened at a point where alcohol might have had an effect and I think he was just surprised and amused that someone would ask about such a featureless feature. There's no gameplay difference between running and walking, there's no precision benefit you would get in other games since your movement is as accurate as your mouse cursor is and it seemed like they have received way more comments about how the party moves too slow even in fast mode and that they should add faster movement. Asking for a feature all about going slower seems like such a niche feature that it could easily fly under the radar and land in the infinite backlog.

Walking is about immersion, and immersion is what I'm after when i'm playing an RPG. It'd be weird if what I'm saying now would be a surprise to a veteran gamer/developer such as him, because if you ask most any hardcore roleplayer, one of the first things you'll hear is to walk everywhere it's appropriate to walk. 

Besides Pillars, I don't remember the last RPG I played that didn't have walking. Some have been more annoying about it than others(having it be a button you hold instead of a toggle), but they've all had it.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Think about how weird it would be, if all the NPCs in Defiance Bay would run around like crazy all the time. It would look completely out of place... The reason walking is not a thing for many players is because they are impatient and want to get from A to B as fast as possible to progress the game - which is absoluteley understandable. However: It does look as out of place as it would with NPCs and there are some people who care about this stuff. :)

• Like 2

Found it at 4:36 on the final all day Twitch live stream.

Honestly, I don't think he was harsh at all.  Very honest and reasonable.

I'm sure they have a tremendous amount of things to tackle and accomplish right now, and stretch goals being added, and multi-classing, and etc. etc.  It's low on the list.

If anything, he acknowledged that they know they can do it.  If they get time or bandwidth.

Also, the perception is that only a few passionate people want it (e.g. folks in this reply chain).

Perhaps if we're able to either:

(a) have another poll similar to during the beta of PoE1, or

(b) hit $6M in post FIG backing :)

Overall, thrilled for Pillars of Eternity 2 in general.  And incredibly grateful for the team at Obsidian to involve us in the evolution of the game!

As am I. I had thought about the poll idea a while ago but the forums were not as active, and I was sure it would be ignored. I did not know about the poll for PoE1 and was surprised to find out about it. It was more about that every other question got a solid and calm explanation and reason, And this question did not.

Walking is about immersion, and immersion is what I'm after when i'm playing an RPG. It'd be weird if what I'm saying now would be a surprise to a veteran gamer/developer such as him, because if you ask most any hardcore roleplayer, one of the first things you'll hear is to walk everywhere it's appropriate to walk. 

Besides Pillars, I don't remember the last RPG I played that didn't have walking. Some have been more annoying about it than others(having it be a button you hold instead of a toggle), but they've all had it.

I agree it is all about the immersion, it adds to the game. And yes, again the point of a toggle would be so people who want it could use it. And those who do not, Do not have to use it. The fact that they have stated it would be so minor to add, makes me wonder why they did not in the first place. *Edited for grammar I just woke up and am not fully coherent yet*

Edited by Joral

Slighty off-topic, but Tides of Numenera was released today.

And guess what? It does not have a walk toggle either. Oh, you can do it on the console if you lightly tap the stick control, but if you play on PC and use keyboard and mouse? Nope.

I remember being upset that I missed the Kickstarter for it. Then I just decided to wait and see till release. And then all those mixed reviews came out... and still I would have gotten it. But today I read that you can only walk in that game if you play it on the console.

So, last straw. I am not buying Tides of Numenera.

Given that I backed Deadfire and its expansions, this, of course, won't be true for PoE 2, but, dammit. That feature is important to me. It's important to others. It's minor. The framework is there. It's not imposing on anyone's playstyles.

So, wtf is the trouble to implement it in the the modern rpg renaissance games????!

/upset custumer

Edited by oddrheia

So, wtf is the trouble to implement it in the the modern rpg renaissance games????!

It has no effect on the three pillars of "core" gameplay* so it can be safely discarded as so much has been over the last few decades.

*Those being trash mobs, trash loot and trash talking of course.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It has no effect on the three pillars of "core" gameplay* so it can be safely discarded as so much has been over the last few decades.

*Those being trash mobs, trash loot and trash talking of course.

Sorry, but if you follow through with that statement  we would have no in-game books, areas would lead from boss A to boss B with no mobs in between, there would be no flavor text on anything, no weapon/armor/character model variety.

Features don't need to tie to a game mechanic to add enjoyment. In an rpg especially, to take away a feature that adds immersion is a darn shame.

• Like 2