A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

I would like to request a walk toggle for PoE2 Deadfire, as the toggle itself was not in the original game but had to be modded in. I would like for a walk toggle to be in from the start. To many players it is a RP choice. For people who don't want to use it then they can leave the toggle off, and for those of us and I am sure there are many as i have seen a fair amount of comment concerning this sort of feature. What are peoples views on this feature at this time ?.

• Like 17

I want it, and have been wanting it since before the Backer Beta for Pillars 1.

​So, yeah...

​The reason and response why it wasn't in at the time then was "It looks wonky" and it didn't look good "Speed Power walking" (or something like it) and there's probably other logistical issues (bugs and glitches, what happens if you enter a fight, and walk toggle is on, what happens if you toggle walk/run during combat, what happens if you enter a door with walk toggle). It's another thing to code.

​My requests for it would be:
- Don't make it power walking/speed walking. The Player doesn't have to​ be faster than everybody else (Gosh how this annoys me in Elder Scrolls Online, because you ​walk​about 10%-15% slower than NPC's, but you run​ 300% faster). This is purely​ roleplaying, and serves no mechanical purpose (which is why it's not a priority to develop for Obsidian), and it doesn't matter whether the Player walks slow, make them walk at the same pace and speed as all the NPC's do in the world.

​- You already have the walk animation frames for NPC's, is it possible to use that?

​- In Deadfire it'll look less wonky because weapons are sheathed this time around (which is absolutely awesome!)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 8

I want it, and have been wanting it since before the Backer Beta for Pillars 1.

​So, yeah...

​The reason and response why it wasn't in at the time then was "It looks wonky" and it didn't look good "Speed Power walking" (or something like it) and there's probably other logistical issues (bugs and glitches, what happens if you enter a fight, and walk toggle is on, what happens if you toggle walk/run during combat, what happens if you enter a door with walk toggle). It's another thing to code.

​My requests for it would be:

- Don't make it power walking/speed walking. The Player doesn't have to​ be faster than everybody else (Gosh how this annoys me in Elder Scrolls Online, because you ​walk​about 10%-15% slower than NPC's, but you run​ 300% faster). This is purely​ roleplaying, and serves no mechanical purpose (which is why it's not a priority to develop for Obsidian), and it doesn't matter whether the Player walks slow, make them walk at the same pace and speed as all the NPC's do in the world.

​- You already have the walk animation frames for NPC's, is it possible to use that?

​- In Deadfire it'll look less wonky because weapons are sheathed this time around (which is absolutely awesome!)

Well the IE mod for PoE 1 didn't look wonky for the walk animations :p, Unless you turned it on Double speed :p. But yes I want this feature added from the start if possible this time. It changes how you play the game as well as improves the immersion. I know there are a few out there who think it is a waste of time but there are just as many who would like the option. :)

• Like 4

Josh addressed this in the last twitch interview.

Ok, at what point in the interview did they mention a walk option or toggle I have watched the whole interview on twitch and not a single mention of that topic ?

Edited by Joral

Ok, at what point in the interview did they mention a walk option or toggle I have watched the whole interview on twitch and not a single of that topic ?

It's in the CallOfCthulu interview (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122300066), not the Obsidian developer Q&A on twitch that was on a bit later. I couldn't tell you exactly where and it's way too long for me to sit through a second time in order to check. Basically, Sawyer stated that it's something that could be done and it wouldn't be that hard to do, but pretty low on the current list of priorities so it may or may not end up getting implemented. Part of the reasoning was that it would see limited use, so starting a thread to illustrate the level of interest in the feature actually seems like a reasonable way to go about trying to skew things in favor of its implementation.

• Like 5

Ok, at what point in the interview did they mention a walk option or toggle I have watched the whole interview on twitch and not a single of that topic ?

It's in the CallOfCthulu interview (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122300066), not the Obsidian developer Q&A on twitch that was on a bit later. I couldn't tell you exactly where and it's way too long for me to sit through a second time in order to check. Basically, Sawyer stated that it's something that could be done and it wouldn't be that hard to do, but pretty low on the current list of priorities so it may or may not end up getting implemented. Part of the reasoning was that it would see limited use, so starting a thread to illustrate the level of interest in the feature actually seems like a reasonable way to go about trying to skew things in favor of its implementation.

Damn. Ok, Well I guess we just have to get it noticed!!!. watched the Obsidian developer Q&A stream twice. had kinda come to the opinion that he was trolling so "my apologies" jnb0364..

Edited by Joral
  • Like 1

Damn. Ok, Well I guess we just have to get it noticed!!!. watched the Obsidian developer Q&A stream twice. had kinda come to the opinion that he was trolling so "my apologies" jnb0364..

no prob i couldnt remember which one and i didnt want to deliver the bad news. good luck

• Like 1

I too would like to see this toggle implemented.

Two more things I'd like to get which are low on the priority list:

- Cyan circles for neutral NPCs.

Partly for the nostalgic I.E. feel; partly because it makes it easier to tell allegiances at a glance.

- Asynchronous movement

Right now characters all move in perfect sync like a band of robots, which is unnatural. The I.E. games solved this by applying a random delay in milliseconds for each individual character from when you clicked to when characters started to move. It looked a lot more natural and I'd like to have it back in Deadfire.

• Like 8

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Partly for the nostalgic I.E. feel; partly because it makes it easier to tell allegiances at a glance.

- Asynchronous movement

Right now characters all move in perfect sync like a band of robots, which is unnatural. The I.E. games solved this by applying a random delay in milliseconds for each individual character from when you clicked to when characters started to move. It looked a lot more natural and I'd like to have it back in Deadfire.

^This.

I know they're not the most important things, but they do add a lot to the feel of the game

• Like 4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I believe IE Mod for PoE 1 had this feature as well, didn't seem like a difficult thing to do as it was already in engine. Just not enabled. I know they believe that these items are low on the priority pole as they believe most gamers don't care but they DO add in immersion and detail. Sadly even "Torment: Tides of Numenera" didn't realize that people wanted this feature on "Keyboard and mouse" until after the game has gone gold. And stated that they would add it in as an update later, though no comment on a timeline :(. Even though the feature is already ingame and can be done with a gamepad. I am hoping that PoE2 is more farsighted in this approach. Especially since the game is STILL in funding mode. As he said "would not be difficult". 

I am not someone who has much experience with forums or forum polls, however if someone else knows how to set up a poll for this I would be grateful. Though im not sure how many pay attention to polls or posts at this stage of a games development. I love obsidian and there writing, and I hope they listen and add features that many of us are either passionate about or at the least would like to see in the game. Kinda wish there was an option to have this feature implemented rather than have my name in the credts/tombstone/npc.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm writing this too late, but I also very concerned about this option since PoE and Tyranny. It's a bit strange to see, that all your characters are ought to run in some way. And the most disappointing thing is that they are able to walk perfectly in cutscenes for example as well as all NPCs. But I'm afraid, that Obsidian would never add this walking option.. So the only thing we could do is *run* into new journeys.

Maybe I'm writing this too late, but I also very concerned about this option since PoE and Tyranny. It's a bit strange to see, that all your characters are ought to run in some way. And the most disappointing thing is that they are able to walk perfectly in cutscenes for example as well as all NPCs. But I'm afraid, that Obsidian would never add this walking option.. So the only thing we could do is *run* into new journeys.

Yes, the fact that the animations are already in should make the toggle very simple to add. It does not make sense to me that it is not a standard feature. It is also sad that they just dismiss these requests, even though they obviously have people who would really like to see the feature. A "Toggle" would allow those of us who want to roleplay to do so and those who don't care to use it do not have too, hence the ability to toggle on or off. For some of the arguments I have seen against it it seems that they believe if the toggle was added they would have no choice but to use it, but with a toggle the choice is with the player not forced. I watched the livestream and had hoped that they would comment on the idea, but no comment. The fact that as josh said that it would not be difficult, I believe that it should be a standard option. Can we please get an official conversation or at least have the developers ask people if they are for or against the idea. Usually by the time a forum thread gets noticed by a developer or anyone related to the games construction, it is usually something along the line of "Sorry but it is to late to change the "Completed" version of the game, maybe we will consider an update at a later time. Next time please make these requests earlier in the campaign". That was the response I got on TToN, even though I had been posting about the issue since the kickstarter.

I am hoping that we can at least get some sort of discourse on the matter from the devs. As that is the point of the forums in the development stage.

• Like 1

I'm currently playing Planescape: Torment and enjoying walking through Sigil, with different animations and rigs for each companion, a pity that this is beyond modern games.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

My views? Sure. Why not? I'll never use it, but who cares if it's there for people who would?

I'm on the other side of the equation, IE I want *faster* movement rates. Moving across a map that I've already explored five times takes *FOREVER*.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2