So I was just looking through the reward tiers on Fig and noticed the $2000 reward tier was titled "Create a Super Pet" with the following description:

"Create a super-pet with the development team! You can choose from almost any creature in Pillars II and the team will make a pet version of it. Customize the texture and select a buff your super-pet can give you (some restrictions apply)..."

This raises a whole slew of questions:

- Does this mean that pets are not purely cosmetic anymore?

- Does this mean that only the person that backs at this level gets the super pet?

- Does it mean that pets that provide bonuses are in the game for everyone to use?

- Will all pets provide some kind of buffs? If not, then why would anyone equip anything else?

Thoughts?

Apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed before, I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything else on the topic.

Yes

No

Yes

No - maybe because they like the cat?  (I'm less sure on this one - could be all pets provide some bonus)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Yes, those were my assumptions as well. I guess I was really getting at the last question. We can assume that yes, some if not all pets can provide a passive bonus that players will have access to. But only the hardest core roleplayers will ever equip a purely cosmetic pet over one that provides some kind of buff. This to me, seems a waste of time and resources to create purely cosmetic pets that 99% of players will never use.

Am hoping that this means that *all* pets will provide some kind of bonus even if somewhat trivial. 

Edited by Koth

A personal note about pets: I started stashing them – instead of having one running around me – in PoE I, when I noticed that they're a hindrance in combat: in narrow spaces the AI doesn't find a way to move around the pet for melee-attacking an opponent.

If they play a bigger role in Deadfire, then this should be solved first.

There's already a "super-pet" in PoE1: Concelhaut's Skull. It wasn't only a cosmetic addition.

Which I got rather irritated by, considering that's instantly the only pet worth having equipped.

But I decided that you can take my love, you can take my land, you can take me where I cannot stand.

I do not mind, however, for you can not take the Tiny White Wurm from me.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

There's already a "super-pet" in PoE1: Concelhaut's Skull. It wasn't only a cosmetic addition.

Which I got rather irritated by, considering that's instantly the only pet worth having equipped.

But I decided that you can take my love, you can take my land, you can take me where I cannot stand.

I'm pretty sure a skilled surgeon could help you with that...

Hrm, would have been more funny if you were male, Mrs. Reynolds. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm pretty sure a skilled surgeon could help you with that...

Hrm, would have been more funny if you were male, Mrs. Reynolds. ;)

Their worm is even smaller!

I know you guys love your pets, but do we really need this? I mean, if super pets are a thing, why not just have more summon spells?

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a passive buff. i.e. Equip a Cat pet for a +1 bonus to stealth etc. Not so much something that would perform any functional combat role. 

Yes, this! This is exactly my point. Don't make *some* cosmetic pets and *some* pets that provide a bonus. Make all pets provide some kind of passive (preferably fairly trivial) buff. Heck, you could even assign the buffs to pet families and provide a choice of pets that all provide the same pet family buff. i.e. all Cats provide a +1 stealth buff, and have 10 different cats in the game. 

You find a helm which does nothing but looking nice. You put it on. Then you find a helm that gives you +1RES/+1PER. Suddenly you only wear that helm. Nobody said "boo!", nobody complained and felt sorry for that poor old helm that was only there for cosmetic reasons.

Nobody wanted a talent for super-helmets.

But I agree that all helmets should have a minor effect like all armors have, too. Maybe something like -10% damage when receiving a crit.

So maybe normal pets can give you a tiny boost, too. Upping morale or help scouting or bringing food or shiny stuff every now and then.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 year later...

The first game I used the baby dragon because it was awesome. I gathered all the pets, but I only stuck with the one.

Now I'm going to be using the pet with the best bonus, because otherwise I'm knowingly be less efficient than I can. And that bugs me.

With helmets in the first game, I was annoyed at all the non-magical helmets that I couldn't enchant or anything. There were a few that looked cool, but they didn't do anything, while I had lots of helmets with various bonuses (most of which I though looked stupid but I wore them because they were good buffs for the character).

Personally, I would love to see a cosmetic option, like many game use. That way I could get the bonuses I need, but still have the looks I like. :p

• Like 1